Princeton Tec Corona Extreme questions.

denmikseb

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, this is my first post, so I hope I have the right place. I have been researching for a good helmet for trail riding, to be used with 2 halogen handlebar mounted lights. Most of the trails I ride have weeds growing taller than me along the sides of the trail, so a light with long throw would be blocked anyway, so I am looking more for a wide beam LED light. So far the best candidate I can find is the PT Corona Extreme bike, but I have a couple questions. First, I have read the beam color is quite blue, I don't think that would mix well with my yellowish halogens, could a Corona user comment on this? Also, I would like to see some beamshots of this light, but don't know where to look. I would appreciate any comments, good or bad, concerning my choice of this light for trail riding.

Grumpy

Enlightened
I have a PT corona headlight. I have it modded with the Nichia NSPW500CS leds.
As far as I know PT did not upgrade these lights to these newer leds. These leds are twice as bright as the others.

In my opinion this light is barely bright enough for bike riding with new batteries and the newer leds. It is not regulated and after a few minutes there is a noticeable difference in brigtness. I would like the light much better if it was regulated. Mine takes 4AA batteries. I don't know how many the extreme uses. If it uses more batteries it might not dim as quick.

It also has a very noticeable blue beam color.

I have a light from walmart that uses 1AA and is regulated has a luxeon and a diffuse lense that you can flip down. It only cost $18 and is a much better light IMHO. It only last for around 2 hours on a battery before shutting off however and you might need to take a spare battery with you. I wish that they made this light to use the Cree leds. It would be hard to beat then.

The Zebralight has the cree and is a very good light judging from what others are saying. It is also won't cost much more than the corona. It would be very hard to beat for pure flood.

denmikseb

Newly Enlightened
I have a PT corona headlight. I have it modded with the Nichia NSPW500CS leds.
As far as I know PT did not upgrade these lights to these newer leds. These leds are twice as bright as the others.

In my opinion this light is barely bright enough for bike riding with new batteries and the newer leds. It is not regulated and after a few minutes there is a noticeable difference in brigtness. I would like the light much better if it was regulated. Mine takes 4AA batteries. I don't know how many the extreme uses. If it uses more batteries it might not dim as quick.

It also has a very noticeable blue beam color.

I have a light from walmart that uses 1AA and is regulated has a luxeon and a diffuse lense that you can flip down. It only cost $18 and is a much better light IMHO. It only last for around 2 hours on a battery before shutting off however and you might need to take a spare battery with you. I wish that they made this light to use the Cree leds. It would be hard to beat then.

The Zebralight has the cree and is a very good light judging from what others are saying. It is also won't cost much more than the corona. It would be very hard to beat for pure flood.
Thanks, Grumpy. I think we are talking about 2 different versions. The PT Corona I am looking at takes 8AA batteries and has a handlebar and helmet mount. Also the PT site says it is regulated, and the Bright Guy site also says it is regulated. It also claims to have "white" Led's (whatever that means). I will look at the Zebralight. Are there any more comments on the Corona? ADDED EDIT: Grumpy, I think you are right. I found a review that says the regulating circuit is poor, and there is a definite purplish color to the light. I will look elsewhere. I don't think the Zebralight is what I am looking for, either.

Last edited:

Skeeterbytes

Newly Enlightened
I, too, have the Corona headlamp, and the description matches my observations: an irregular white and purple beam with limited throw and ineffective regulation. I've never played with the Corona Bike, but I'd think the Yukon HL Bike would be a much better choice of the PT products. Luckily, there are *lots* of bike lights out there, although they tend to emphasize long throw over floody, so many might not meet your particular needs.

--Rick

Thanks, Grumpy. I think we are talking about 2 different versions. The PT Corona I am looking at takes 8AA batteries and has a handlebar and helmet mount. Also the PT site says it is regulated, and the Bright Guy site also says it is regulated. It also claims to have "white" Led's (whatever that means). I will look at the Zebralight. Are there any more comments on the Corona? ADDED EDIT: Grumpy, I think you are right. I found a review that says the regulating circuit is poor, and there is a definite purplish color to the light. I will look elsewhere. I don't think the Zebralight is what I am looking for, either.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i own both the Corona and CoronaExtreme.

in some respects, two very different lights.

both ARE regulated, but regulation of all PT lights (including the Apex) to date is poor-2-fair at best on their highest output levels when used with ALKALINE batteries. use Li primaries for much, much better regulation on the higher/highest output levels. regulation is much better, even on alkaline cells, when lower output levels are used.

i have yet to burn through a set of alkaline AA's on the CoronaExtreme.

i'd have to agree that for biking even the CoronaExtreme on its highest setting may not have the necessary throw to allow one to feel comfortable at higher speeds.

a few months ago i compared a CoronaExtreme to a Corona, with both on fresh cells. the CE appeared to my eye to be noticeably brighter than the C. on their 8LED HI o.p. (output) level. the difference was unmistakable. the CE was noticeably brighter, but still, IMO it still doesn't have the throw on 8LED-HI to be used for biking - at least at any reasonable speed above let's say 5-8mph, maybe 10-12mph tops - one could definitely run trails with it though (please NOTE: i'm NOT a biker; i've mounted it to a headband for use as a headlamp while night hiking).

denmikseb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks All for your interest and comments. Perhaps one of you can recommend something else for me to look at that meets these requirements: At least 2AA NIMH batteries (no proprietary batteries). Fairly wide beam; super long-throw is not needed or desirable. Cost, less than $100. White or even yellowish light (not blue). Has a helmet mount, or is helmet mountable with twofish or homemade mount. Some time ago I was about to purchase a Fenix 2AA premium flashlight, but decided the spot beam was too narrow. I probably will have to go with a Dinotte bike light (AA model) to get what I want, but would like to spend less. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited: