Terralux TLE-6EXB: How bright should it be?

CandleFranky

Enlightened
I have upgraded my Maglite 2D first with the original Maglite LED upgrade module and after it tested the TLE-6EXB. Result: The TLE-6EXB seems to be darker in the Spot and the spill. :thumbsdow

I have also upgraded my Minimag 2AA with a TLE-5EX, that's an impressive light. If I switch on both flashlights, you can no longer detect visible light from the TLE-6EXB, because the TLE-5EX is much brighter then the TLE-6EXB.

What are your experiences?

robm

Enlightened
In a 2 cell 2D, in my testing, the 6EXB gives over 1.5 the output of the MagLED module (approx 80 lumens vs 50 - according to my 'lightbox'), peak lux is also slightly higher (approx 5000 vs 4000), although this obviously varies according to the focus.

Just double checking - you do have the 6EXB (normally black) for 2-3 cells, and not the 6EX (normally grey) 4+ cells?

CandleFranky

Enlightened
Just double checking - you do have the 6EXB (normally black) for 2-3 cells, and not the 6EX (normally grey) 4+ cells?
Thank you, robm! :thumbsup:

I have definitly the black 6EXB-version, because there is a warning on it --> "2 to 3 Cells only"

Your 6EXB gives approx 80 lumens? Should be 140 lumens, if you believe Terralux. Do you have the TLE-5EX for the Minimag 2AA too? Because it is brighter then my 6EXB on the 2D Maglight. Terralux rates the TLE-5EX with 140 lumens too.

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
I have upgraded my Maglite 2D first with the original Maglite LED upgrade module and after it tested the TLE-6EXB. Result: The TLE-6EXB seems to be darker in the Spot and the spill. :thumbsdow

I have also upgraded my Minimag 2AA with a TLE-5EX, that's an impressive light. If I switch on both flashlights, you can no longer detect visible light from the TLE-6EXB, because the TLE-5EX is much brighter then the TLE-6EXB.

What are your experiences?

Yea I did the same last week. I ordered two TLE-5EX and two TLE-6EXB. I feel I pretty much wasted about $100. I already had the OEM maglite drop in for all my 3-D cell maglites. The TLE-6EXB is just a tiny bit brighter and I am somewhat disappointed, it also has less run-time then the MAG LED OEM drop in. The TLE-5EX was quite a bit brighter then the last LED drop-in I used in the mini-mag but not by very much, and the $25 that I paid would have been better spent on a new Brinkmann or Dorcey. Overall the TLE-6EXB was a disappointment.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The 140LM call out is at the emitter.That being the case you would be getting something like 80LM out the front

robm

Enlightened
Your 6EXB gives approx 80 lumens? Should be 140 lumens, if you believe Terralux.

As thermal guy said, the 140 lumens is at the emitter, typical losses account for about 1/3, so 80-90 'out the front'.
Incidentally, with 3 cells I get about 100 lumens - about the same as the 6EX with 6 AAs.

I haven't got a 5EX, so can't compare :(

Khaytsus

Enlightened
It's often mentioned that the MagLED output drops off rapidly as it warms up, the Terralux is not nearly as bad in that regard.

I've never seen the MagLED output, but I'm very happy with the output from my TLE-6EX in my 4D Mag.

CandleFranky

Enlightened
As thermal guy said, the 140 lumens is at the emitter, typical losses account for about 1/3, so 80-90 'out the front'.
Incidentally, with 3 cells I get about 100 lumens - about the same as the 6EX with 6 AAs. I haven't got a 5EX, so can't compare :(
Thank you all for your informations! :wave:

It's often mentioned that the MagLED output drops off rapidly as it warms up, the Terralux is not nearly as bad in that regard.
You are right, but ... my warmed up original Maglite Upgrade is equally bright as the Terralux 6EXB from the start.

Overall the TLE-6EXB was a disappointment.
It seems, we have the same feelings. But Terralux makes such an impressive promotion for the 6EXB, that I've thought "just give me this magic 6EXB". And then ... I have to recognize, that the original Maglite Upgrade is the far better decision. :(:(:(

Last edited:

robm

Enlightened
You are right, but ... my warmed up original Maglite Upgrade is equally bright as the Terralux 6EXB from the start.

If that is the case, then it sounds like you have a faulty drop-in.

Out of interest, are you comparing these together side by side?
I ask because if you view one light, then change the drop in and view again, it is very difficult to compare differences of less than 100%.

That is where light meters and lightboxes, for objective measurements, come into their own.

I understand that you are unhappy with your 6EXB, but I am very impressed with mine, enough to have just ordered a second one (in addition to the 2 x 6EXs I have). I would not choose a MagLED over a Terralux. (FYI I also have a number of high power multi-LED Mag mods, but they are different beasts).

IMO the Terralux drop-ins do what they claim to, a significant upgrade for a Mag. They do not however, turn it into a light 'monster' :grin2: (although the TLE 300 may do)

Patriot

Flashaholic
I want to first say that it's possible that you have a faulty 6EXB, but more often than faulty LEDs is the inability of our eyes to discern the difference in output. I have four Terraluxs in total and they consistently meter higher and have less thermal drop than any of the MagLEDs. The only way to really verify what is actually happening is with a light meter.

When the Stock MagLED is switched on, it really initially looks quite good. The problem is that it steadily drops in output to about 50% as the temperature stabilizes over a 10 minute period. If you don't see a difference between a warmed up MagLED and a just switched on 6EXB then you might have a problem with the Terralux.

Keep in mind that small hot spots always seems to appear brighter even if the light isn't producing as much overall output. If the 6EXB isn't perfectly centered in the reflector and the MagLED is, then it possible for the well focused MagLED to appear brighter when it really isn't.

There is a very unscientific and generic way to help you to determine overall output and that's with a ceiling bounce test in a small bedroom or bathroom. Take each light into the room and let your eyes adjust to the dark for 30 seconds. Use the momentary feature to alternatingly shine one light on the ceiling and then the other right after it for about a two second burst each. So, one light will be on and the other is going off. Switch back and forth several times and don't overlap the timing so that both lights are on at any one time because this will throw of your eyes. Don't look up at the ceiling but just look at the walls or the floor and other objects in the room. Make sure that you're shining both lights at or close to the same spot on the ceiling. The human eye is capable of discerning between about 10,000 levels of light so it's pretty sensitive to seeing a difference in output with this method provided that the color temperatures are close. Give it a shot and see what you think. :)

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
My observation is that it is in the same ballpark as my old LEDbeams as afr as raw output goes, however it achieves the same brightness using about half the power consumption, (LEDbeam ran around 4-4.5W on fresh cells, the TLE-6EXB seems to run around 2-2.5W on 2 cells). The TLE-6EXB is of course also boost regulated so it will get better use of the cells than my old LEDbeam, .. Overall I'm satisfied.. I might get a TLE-6EX to use in a 4D mag on alkalines and stick to NIMH in the 2D.

CandleFranky

Enlightened
Out of interest, are you comparing these together side by side? I ask because if you view one light, then change the drop in and view again, it is very difficult to compare differences of less than 100%. That is where light meters and lightboxes, for objective measurements, come into their own.
You are right. I have only one Maglite 2D. BUT the subjective differences between the Maglite- (better) and the Terralux-Upgrade (worse) in the spot and the spill are significant. Even more significant is the difference beetween the TLE-5EX (better) for my Minimag AA and the TLE-6EXB (worse), which I CAN compare side by side. If I switch on the TLE-5EX, I can no longer detect the light from the TLE-6EXB. :mecry:

As I said: The TLE-6EXB should be at least a littler bit brighter then the original Maglite LED-Upgrade, but my version isn't.

Last edited:

ChopsLED

Newly Enlightened
I hope you all don't mind me asking, but...

I know this is about the 6EXB, but does anyone know how the TLE-6EX compares to the older Diamond Luxeon III that I currently have in my 5D Maglite? (it's only using 3Ds with 2 DIY dummies ATM but will be using all 5Ds when the 6EX arrives)

Both are rated at 3 watts, but the TLE-6EX is obviously newer technology. I'm just curious because I ordered the 6EX as an upgrade from the Luxeon III.

Many thanks in advance!

cfromc

Enlightened
I just built a MM 2AA with the 5EX and a 2D with the 6EXB for a friend for Christmas. With both on new cells, the 6EXB was noticeably brighter with longer throw, a bigger and brighter hotspot and more spill. Both lights were new, drop-ins were new, batteries were new, and they were compared side to side. Maybe I just got lucky but I think if a 6EXB isn't brighter than a 5EX, something is wrong.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I hope you all don't mind me asking, but...

I know this is about the 6EXB, but does anyone know how the TLE-6EX compares to the older Diamond Luxeon III that I currently have in my 5D Maglite? (it's only using 3Ds with 2 DIY dummies ATM but will be using all 5Ds when the 6EX arrives)

Both are rated at 3 watts, but the TLE-6EX is obviously newer technology. I'm just curious because I ordered the 6EX as an upgrade from the Luxeon III.

Many thanks in advance!

A Lux III overdriven a bit will put out around 60 bulb lumens.. The 6EX should put out 140 bulb lumens.

Remember, wattage is how much power it's USING, not putting out. So assuming they're both 3W, the Terralux is obviously over twice as efficient. :)

ChopsLED

Newly Enlightened
A Lux III overdriven a bit will put out around 60 bulb lumens.. The 6EX should put out 140 bulb lumens.

Remember, wattage is how much power it's USING, not putting out. So assuming they're both 3W, the Terralux is obviously over twice as efficient. :)

So I'm good then? That's good news! Thanks!!! :wave:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too own the TLE-6EXB & MagLED (drop-in) modules, please keep in mind Terralux quotes the 'B' variant on 2 cells @ 100 lumen which is equivalent to the MagLED drop-in's rated output :thumbsup:

Please also note that the LED emitter can and does come adrift of the thermal-dissipating mounting (aluminium screw-on base), as is the case with my own resulting in reduced output (which is why I purchased some Alumina epoxy), while the MagLED has reasonable performance the B variant from TerraLux has better throw/brightness (as previously mentioned ;)

CandleFranky

Enlightened
I too own the TLE-6EXB & MagLED (drop-in) modules, please keep in mind Terralux quotes the 'B' variant on 2 cells @ 100 lumen which is equivalent to the MagLED drop-in's rated output :thumbsup:

Please also note that the LED emitter can and does come adrift of the thermal-dissipating mounting (aluminium screw-on base), as is the case with my own resulting in reduced output (which is why I purchased some Alumina epoxy), while the MagLED has reasonable performance the B variant from TerraLux has better throw/brightness (as previously mentioned ;)
Very helpful informations, thank you! :twothumbs

robm

Enlightened
Do you have links for these bits of info (for future reference)?

:thanks: