18650 batteries "Danger do not use outside of battery pack" ?

flashlight360

Newly Enlightened
I've got some Sony / Murata US18650VTC6 batteries that say "Danger do not use outside of battery pack" besides that these are unprotected is there some reason they shouldn't be used in flashlights and other gadgets?

thanks.

TIFisher

Newly Enlightened
It's just a half-assed disclaimer. Ignore it. They can be used like any other unprotected cell. Great cells for high-drain flashlights.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've got some Sony / Murata US18650VTC6 batteries that say "Danger do not use outside of battery pack" besides that these are unprotected is there some reason they shouldn't be used in flashlights and other gadgets?

thanks.
This is due to their nature as industrial commodities in a litigious society and ongoing - albeit infrequent - issues with 'sub-ohm' vaping devices hitting cells too hard with disastrous results.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
If that's all, then why ever bother with making protection circuits (or when building larger arrays building protection into the array)?

hamhanded

Enlightened
If that's all, then why ever bother with making protection circuits (or when building larger arrays building protection into the array)?
Protected cells are the most useful for devices that don't have their own built in low voltage or high current protection.

Arrays need battery management to balance charge so a dead cell doesn't destroy the entire pack.

For uses where individual cells are regularly removed from a device for recharge, I actually think they are more dangerous than unprotected cells because the cell positive is run the entire length of the battery through a thin metal strip. If the plastic wrap is damaged in just the right way, a short between the positive strip and the cell body completely defeats the short/overcurrent protection and could start a fire (because the entire cell body is negative).