18650 Battery and Charger Recommendation

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Recommend me a 18650 battery and charger

So I think I'll go with 2 panasonics but what charger cheaper the better

Panasonics are some of the best cells and a very good choice for 18650's.

Some of the newer XTAR chargers are very good. Specifically the VP1 or the WP2S.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Recommend me a 18650 battery and charger

So I think I'll go with 2 panasonics but what charger cheaper the better

Panasonic cells are some of the best if not the best and so they are not the cheapest so why go with a cheap charger?

I would just decide on the charger you want and then go after the best price you can find.

I personally have read good things about the Xtar VP1. It has a display which makes it a little more expensive than say the WP2S.

The Xtar MP1S has really cheap electronics...........hardly anything to it. But then again look at the review HKJ did on the MP1. So you usually get what you pay for.

mr_magicfingers

Newly Enlightened
Need battery recommendation for a Supbeam X40 light (3x18650)

Just arranged to buy this light and need some batteries to go with it. Not used 18650's before. The light comes with a charging system so I don't need a charger as they'll charge when the light is plugged in. I'm based in the UK if that helps, and would appreciate some pointers on reputable batteries for this set up and a place to buy in the UK if possible.

Thanks.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Need battery recommendation for a Supbeam X40 light (3x18650)

Exactly whose cells you use probably doesn't matter all that much. The batteries are internally charged in parallel, but discharged in series, so protected 18650's would be my advice. Because the protection circuit is added by a 3rd party, there are plenty of vendors. Just make sure the cell underneath is a Panasonic. I use protected 3100mAh cells in my X40, they fit without a problem. Avoid the ***Fire
cells or anything else that claims more than 3400mAh capacity, because by definition they are fakes. The highest capacity 18650 at the moment is the Panasonic 18650B at 3400 mAh. The 3400's are a little larger than the typical 18650's, and since I haven't tried them, I cannot guarantee they will actually fit. Figure you are going to have to spend about about $12-$15 per cell. Shipping of the cells can
be a problem because many postal authorities now restrict the shipment of Li-Ion cells.

Good luck and enjoy the light.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

So far the best deal I've found on cells that actually work, etc, are Fasttech's 3400 mah 18650.They sell them in 2-packs, so if you order "one" you get two 18650s, which confuses people.:D They cost about $6-7 per 18650, depending on the number of sets you get a t a time, etc. They sell both protected, and unprotected cells, so get the PROTECTED ones.

Dubois

Enlightened

So far the best deal I've found on cells that actually work, etc, are Fasttech's 3400 mah 18650.They sell them in 2-packs, so if you order "one" you get two 18650s, which confuses people.:D They cost about $6-7 per 18650, depending on the number of sets you get a t a time, etc. They sell both protected, and unprotected cells, so get the PROTECTED ones.

+1 - go to Fasttech for the Panasonic cells and you will save a lot of money. UK dealers will typically charge the same number of pounds sterling for one cell as Fasttech will charge in dollars for two. Fasttech shipping is reasonably fast at the moment (my last order took two weeks), but there might be HK Post complications.

mr_magicfingers

Newly Enlightened

Thanks very much for this, I'll order through fasttech, think I'm likely to go for the 3100mah as the 3400 may not fit in the X40. Shame I have to buy 4 of them though, with the internal charger they'll likely never get taken out and I have a single one sitting around unused. I could buy a torch that takes a single battery but then I'd have to buy a single charger. Already have a quark AA and a zebrah h502 AA :)

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Thanks very much for this, I'll order through fasttech, think I'm likely to go for the 3100mah as the 3400 may not fit in the X40. Shame I have to buy 4 of them though, with the internal charger they'll likely never get taken out and I have a single one sitting around unused. I could buy a torch that takes a single battery but then I'd have to buy a single charger. Already have a quark AA and a zebrah h502 AA :)

They fit in mine and in Vinh's...so they should fit into yours.

bokeh

Newly Enlightened

+1 for the protected 3400 from FT. Fit my X40 just fine. Not much space left in there, but works.

Note: If they are in, you rarely want to get them out anyway, as the integrated charger is fine.

Dubois

Enlightened

I'd buy 3 pairs, and have a spare set.:)

mr_magicfingers

Newly Enlightened

I'd buy 3 pairs, and have a spare set.:)

With the built in charger, I only need to plug the light in, shouldn't ever need to take them out until they're dead, hopefully.

mr_magicfingers

Newly Enlightened

Just been looking through the fasttech site and found two very similar protected 18650 3400mah batteries. Should I choose one over the other for any reason?

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...asonic-ncr18650b-18650-3-7v-3400mah-protected
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001980/1141104-panasonic-ncr18650b-protected-rechargeable

Thanks for the great advice so far.

s10mods

Newly Enlightened
Good Li-Ion charger for 18650 pack

Let me start out by describing what I am trying to do. I have some Makita cordless tools and I love them, but the Batteries are starting to die out, I now have 3 dead packs out of 6 total and these things are ~$90 EA. I have a friend in the PC world and can get me old laptop batteries that are still in good shape by the bucket full for scrap price ~.90/lb. I dissembled a bunch already and took 5 18650 cells from a good laptop pack they were at 4.12v and replaced all 5 cells in the makita pack. the issue i ran in to is when a Makita pack goes dead the charger labels it as a bad pack with the circuit in the pack so it can never be recharged. So now i am just wondering if i can get a Really good hobby charger to charge these 5 cell 18v packs? I would also like a charger that can charge and discharge individual cells so i can tell how many mah each cell really is putting out and make sure I have good cells before i replace more packs. I am not too worried about price, if i can save buying 3 or 4 packs that will pay for a pretty good charger and i will be ahead in the future and the laptop cells are usually more mah than the original makita packs.

tripplec

Enlightened
Re: Good Li-Ion charger for 18650 pack

First I'd say the circuit is there for your protection. Li-ion can cause a lot of damage and health injuries if they blow!! Charge the pack outside of the OEM charger would be tricky since non are designed for that number in series (18V) and if you found something that offered the control it would cost more than the packs you've built new.

The cells you pulled are likely unbalanced and in various state of capacity. Overcharging a cell can be catestophic. I am sure those batteries go on sale from time to time. I have three Lion tool sets Ryobi and Makita. I wanted a 3rd battery and go a 1/4" impact driver and Li-ion for the same price as the battery alone on sale.

Others may chime in on this but with more in series the risks increase charging them. Hence the smart circuits are there to protect the owner and manufacturer from liability.

s10mods

Newly Enlightened

The cells i harvested are all from the same pack, i know there are dangers involved in charging these Li-ion cells, I was looking for a good charger that would not overcharge the cells, and if i have to add balance wires then thats not a big deal for me, I also want a charger that will allow me to charge and discharge and graph the cycles of individual cells so i can match then with ones i have harvested from different packs. I was actually looking at the charger below. but i would assume that i would need at least 24v input to get the 21v output the 5 cell pack would need to terrminate. I currently have a 90A Rivergate 12vdc power supply that i used to use for my RC hobby chargers. LRP pulsar and CE turbo 35gfx.
http://www.revolectrix.com/pl8_features_tab.htm

torukmakto4

Newly Enlightened

Don't use that recelled pack!

The cells you are getting from laptops are "conventional" high-capacity types of Li-ion, with a 1-2C maximum discharge rate. Using them on a power tool is exceeding their discharge current ratings by as much as 10 times. They will sag like mad and perform like crap and could easily go boom if abused like this due to overheating and internal damage.

The 3.6/3.7V Li-ion cells found in this class of power tool packs are specific to high-current applications and have a much lower internal resistance. They have typical continuous discharge current ratings of 18 to 30 amps in 18650 size and the highest commonly available capacity right now is 2000mAh (Sanyo UR18650RX, Samsung INR18650-20R). Your makita packs most likely used a Sony cell such as US18650VT. If you want to build an 18650 pack similar to the original to pull this application, these types of cells are the only way.

Now as to the charger, you need a hobby charger and some balance taps hooked up to get this job done, not really a hard question. However, if you were really going to run reclaimed used laptop cells in a drill, I suggest you either use off the shelf consumer packs/chargers, or put a NiMH pack on this drill before something gets started on fire.

blerkoid

Newly Enlightened
TK75 Compatible batteries

Hello CPF,

I am looking to purchase the Fenix TK75 in the near future and I have 3 Eagtac 3400 mah batteries right now. Does anyone know if these are compatible with the light?

Sorry if this is the wrong area - I am still trying to get used to the community.

Thank you!

Capolini

Banned
Re: TK75 Compatible batteries

Hello CPF,

I am looking to purchase the Fenix TK75 in the near future and I have 3 Eagtac 3400 mah batteries right now. Does anyone know if these are compatible with the light?

Sorry if this is the wrong area - I am still trying to get used to the community.

Thank you![/QUOT

WELCOME TO CPF:D

They will be fine, but you NEED to add another!! It takes Four 18650 batteries!!

I have the TK-75. It will take any of the genuine Panasonic protected cells.I have used several kinds, the longest being 69mm and there is still a little room in the battery carrier!

Ciao,,,Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Last edited:

blerkoid

Newly Enlightened
Re: TK75 Compatible batteries

Awesome! Thank you very much for the reply.

I heard somewhere that the light also comes with 4 batteries, is that true or rumor?
Do you know if there is much of a difference between the 2600Lm and 2900Lm versions of the TK75?

Thank you :)