18650 leap...?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first (protected)ULTRAFIRE 18650s will be here by week's end, two more questions though? Does all this protection help or hinder performance? And with sayed protection, does it effect the overal diameter of the cell. Using some digital calipers I'd measured 18.399mm diameter.

chiphead

p.s

New technology is so exciting!

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch - wrong brand choice. Ultrafire cells universally suck, and I can attest to this. Trustfires, on the other hand, have been tested by CPF members and found to work remarkably well for the price.

Protection doesn't affect performance unless you're using lights that draw a LOT of current, in which case the protection might trip and not let you turn the light on. Not your case though.

Protection does increase width a bit, because there's a metallic strip (and insulation underneath it) that goes from the positive to the board (which sits on the negative terminal).

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch - wrong brand choice. Ultrafire cells universally suck, and I can attest to this. Trustfires, on the other hand, have been tested by CPF members and found to work remarkably well for the price.

Protection doesn't affect performance unless you're using lights that draw a LOT of current, in which case the protection might trip and not let you turn the light on. Not your case though.

Protection does increase width a bit, because there's a metallic strip (and insulation underneath it) that goes from the positive to the board (which sits on the negative terminal).
Oh crap, I did say I was a newby at this! So where do I find these TrustFire cells?

chiphead

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you can always try yours first... you never know, you might get lucky and not have them fail utterly before three months (with little use) as happened to me... it did happen several months ago, th ey might have gotten better in the meantime. *crosses fingers*

As for the Trustfires, you can find them on dealextreme and kaidomain (isn't that where you got the Ultrafires?)

I think that "fire" suffix should not be used for LiIon batteries....poor marketing
So you don't like Surefire primaries, either? :p

Last edited:

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is using 18650s a "leap"?
This a "leap" in that this is the first time I've used this chemistry/format in a battery. And I've read to many stories about these things going from battery to IED! See YouTube! This is why I'd rather consult with others first. Besides, I love new technology!

chiphead

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you can always try yours first... you never know, you might get lucky and not have them fail utterly before three months (with little use) as happened to me... it did happen several months ago, th ey might have gotten better in the meantime. *crosses fingers*

As for the Trustfires, you can find them on dealextreme and kaidomain (isn't that where you got the Ultrafires?)

So you don't like Surefire primaries, either? :p

I'm getting my UltraFires from Battery Junction, this where I purchase all my x123.

chiphead

mdocod

Flashaholic
I also would not have recommended the ultrafire cells, but I also would not have recommended the trustfire cells either, as I am a firm believer that all of the "superfire/trustfire/ultrafire" and many no-name cells basically belong in the same heap. Today an ultrafire may be different from a trustfire as the source of cells may have been different for each batch, but these companies are basically one and the same, they come out with a new brand name to use to slap on new products about once every 3-6 months, while holding on to the older brand names. It's the best of both worlds for them... Consumers who had negative experiences will move on to other brand names, consumers who had good experiences will stay with those brand names, having both the old and new brand names ensures they can snatch up more "unsuspecting victims" in each category.

This is not to say that everything this "company" makes it garbage, there are some gems in the rough but it's not worth taking your chances with any of those cells in my opinion. Li-Ion technology is very reasonably safe, but what makes a li-ion cell safe is a combination of factors, some of which you can control and some you can't. We have had very few reported incidents of li-ion explosions here, but I can say that every reported incident I can recall, was either caused by user error, or was an ultrafire/superfire/trustfire type of cell.

You can control which charger and cells you actually decide to use together, and this is a big factor in what is going to keep your configuration safe.

The generally accepted rule of thumb at CPF is to purchase protected AW brand cells. He's been a member of the forums for years and has sourced good quality li-ion cells for use with his own branding and protection circuits. You can order AW cells from a variety of places, but I personally recommend just ordering them direct from AW from his sales thread in the dealer corner of the CPFMP.

Also, a Pila IBC charger is considered the best option for charging loose li-ion cells without getting into a $100+ hobby style charger. At ~$35 from flashlightz.com it's not a bad deal and it is one of the only "bay-style" chargers I am aware of on the market that ACTUALLY follows the recommended charging algorithm for li-ion chemistry cells.

-------------------------

Eric

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I've read to many stories about these things going from battery to IED! See YouTube!
I don't know what you mean by "IED", but I'm guessing something explosive.
There have been several reported cases of primary lithium cells going off inside flashlight. There has not been, so far as I can remember, any report of secondary (reachargeable) lithium-ion ones doing the same in a flashlight. There have been a few that have overheated and/or blown while charging (and possibly due to external damage), but not while being used inside flashlights.

I also would not have recommended the ultrafire cells, but I also would not have recommended the trustfire cells either, as I am a firm believer that all of the "superfire/trustfire/ultrafire" and many no-name cells basically belong in the same heap.
I disagree. UF cells have consistently failed to meet expectations, while TF ones have consistently proven pretty good. Keyword is "consistently"; many threads and tests from various months/years have reported this.
Personally, I re-celled a pocket computer's battery with two UF 18650s, and they started losing capacity after maybe the tenth cycle. Did the same with TFs, still going strong after a few months.

but these companies are basically one and the same
This is claimed often, but do you have actual evidence to say this?

Even if true, same factory != same quality. As you probably know, a factory can build similar models of different quality for different distributors.

I can say that every reported incident I can recall, was either caused by user error, or was an ultrafire/superfire/trustfire type of cell.
Could you link to the relevant threads?
This is not a provocation - I'm actually interested in reading the threads.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I disagree. UF cells have consistently failed to meet expectations, while TF ones have consistently proven pretty good. Keyword is "consistently"; many threads and tests from various months/years have reported this.
Personally, I re-celled a pocket computer's battery with two UF 18650s, and they started losing capacity after maybe the tenth cycle. Did the same with TFs, still going strong after a few months.

I've seen complaints regarding all 3 cell brands. I do agree that the TF cells are currently in the lead as better performers as compared with the alternative budget options, but I'm scared to make a recommendation for a cell that could be "bait-n-switched" so easily. (with or without a label change) (more on this in a moment)....

This is claimed often, but do you have actual evidence to say this?

Nope, this is my gut, but I'm not pulling it out of thin air for fun either. I've been following the trends of flashlight and battery development for quite some time, and paid enough attention to the market of budget chinese flashlights and cells to see between the lines. I can point to a romensen today that is the same as a superfire yesterday that was sold as an ultrafire a few years ago. They are the same flashlight designs being re-badged with a new flare or just a new name every year or so. Slap a new emitter on it, change the finish color, make a minor change to strike bezel design, bada bing. It's possible that TrustFire is a totally separate operation, but it's hard to swallow for me.

Even if true, same factory != same quality. As you probably know, a factory can build similar models of different quality for different distributors.

This is absolutely true, and even helps prove a point :) the same company that makes ultrafire/superfire flashlights is not making ultrafire/superfire cells there. In the case of a line of li-ion cells that are being marketed to, what is in the grand scheme of things, a "niche" market, it is not cost effective to have your own plant making the cells. It's a specialized process. There are many products in the world, that only actually come from a few factories on the planet... Take for example, LCD panels. Nearly every LCD panel currently found in a production television or monitor, is made in one of just a very small hand-full of factories around the world. I seem to recall it being said that it was down to just 2 or 3 factories worldwide that make these things. For li-ion cells, it's not quite this extreme, but not far off. We know that in the world of batteries, there are a few suppliers of bare cells, and a LOT of names getting slapped on them.

Lets take your example of the fact that from a single supplier, they might have different "quality" options... So they (some reseller) might decide to do a sort of experiment, and buy 3 different quality levels of cells and sell each under a different brand name to keep track of the results and see which quality level generates the best profit margins after factoring in customer relation issues and returns and stuff like that. Am I too black helicopter here? This is just one of many possibilities in the end. When they do decide which quality level is the most profitable, they'll obviously sell it under the name that was used with the highest quality cells originally so that it carries it's good name... So... the question is.. when will the switch be made? Will it ever? Will TF continue to be reasonable forever? Hard to say.

Could you link to the relevant threads?
This is not a provocation - I'm actually interested in reading the threads.

No provocation detected, your points are 100% spot on valid :)

I'll try to get back to you with some links on this... :) As I'm sure you are aware, trying to figure out what to search for that generates useful results can take some time...

Eric

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seemed to have opened a real can of worms here, and you guys are scarying the (bleep) out me. But what's done is done and 1st Lithium -Ion cells will be here Monday. It still comes down to ; Buyer Beware be it a car batteries or a house! I'm ordering 2 more from another source just incase I've got to lemons. I'm just willing to try somethint new!

chiphead