Fenix L0D-Q4 Comparison Review

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got this Fenix Digital L0D Q4 OLIVE courtesy of 4sevens at the Fenix-Store.

The Q4 L0D is rated on plain alkaline or NiMH AAA at 75 lumens on its High/max - this is almost "ridiculous" for a single AAA light.

Size, new anodized Color, and Heads -
FenixL0DQ4sz.jpg
FenixL0DQ4hds2.jpg

The Olive anodization looks nice -it's not that obviously green - but almost like a grey with green overtones?

It isn't that obvious in the photo - but the Q4 has a plain reflector -whereas both the L0D-RB80 and the L1Dce-Q5 have orange peel reflectors.

The L0D-RB80 is rated at 60 lumens for its max so the Q4 version at 75 lumens is 25% brighter - can one see this?

vs. Fenix L0D-RB80 both on NiMH (AAA eneloop), and High/Max -
L0DQ4_RB80.jpg
L0DQ4_RB80U2.jpg

Fairly obviously yes - the Q4 version has a more concentrated beam which also helps showing this to be brighter.

Notice the Rebel RB80 edition has a much smoother beam, and its tint is slightly better (still a bit cool for my liking).

I was a bit surprised to see the notorious Cree dark halo on the Q4, and the beam was a bit ringy - I thought the plain Fenix L0D-CE didn't have much of those problems .......

Is the Low on the Q4 L0D the same as the Low on the RB80?
L0DQ4_RB80_lo.jpg
L0DQ4_RB80_loU2.jpg

No, it's about the same magnitude brighter similar to the High/max comparison.

(please remember these are comparison beamshots and are only valid for the beams in the same photo, and not comparable between separate photos - it's pretty obvious the beamshot of the L0Ds on Low is not comparable to the L0Ds on High - since the two beamshots look almost the same!)

This is a case of when brighter is not necessarily better - since most people want a low that would disturb less, attract less attention - so a lower/dimmer low mode would be better - but the difference isn't that large that one need to complain.

Compare to a 1x AA light -

vs. Fenix L1D-Q5 both on NiMH and max/High/Turbo -
L0DQ4_L1DQ5.jpg
L0DQ4_L1DQ5U2.jpg

Not surprisningly a Q5 and a beefier battery would be brighter.

BUT note the Q5 L1D is rated at 120 lumens on Turbo - this is supposed to be 60% brighter - pretty significant.
The Q5 without a doubt is brighter - but is that obvious in the beamshots? (and camera is more critical in being able to show differences)

vs. L1D-Q5 both on Low -
L0DQ4_L1DQ5_lo.jpg
L0DQ4_L1DQ5_lo2U.jpg

again about the same magitude brighter similar to the max/High/Turbo comparison.

The Q5's tint is a bit nicer - but both show the dark halo and are a bit ringy - this is despite the orange peel reflector on the Q5, and the reflector that hides the silver colored (aluminum?) surround on the Q4.

The L0D-Q4 is a real pocket rocket - 75 lumens - only a few years ago this was strived for on a premium Luxeon III or even V and then only using lithium batteries .....

Now we can have 75 lumens on a single humble AAA battery - but also with multi-levels of brightness -
so the light is not only brighter - but more versatile.

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is fun to recall how this much light from this small a package was impossible not so long ago. The LOD Q4 is one of my favorites.

A+ on the review as usual.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L0D-RB80 is rated at 60 lumens for its max so the Q4 version at 75 lumens is 25% brighter - can one see this?

vs. Fenix L0D-RB80 both on NiMH (AAA eneloop), and High/Max -
L0DQ4_RB80.jpg
L0DQ4_RB80U2.jpg

Hey Nice Review :thumbsup:
On second screen shot the Rebel version looks brighter..

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
On second screen shot the Rebel version looks brighter..

If you mean the -2 Stops Underexposed beamshot of the L0D Q4 and RB80 both on High -

I think the slight tint difference may be biassing the brightness comparison.

Here's the same shot merely with the color removed (by desaturation) -
L0DQ4_RB80U2deSat.jpg

Looks to me that the Q4 has a brighter side-spill, and its hotspot is smaller but more concentrated/brighter?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review as always! With all the great reviews all along of the L0D-CE I've really wanted to get one for a long time but was trying to hold off since I didn't want to buy any more Fenix until they got the circuits to work on low and medium with rechargeable Li-ions (like on the P1D-CE and P2D's) but I finally gave in for an L0D-CE when the black Q4's came out. And while this is a bit different than a light made to run on 3.0 volt like the P1D and P2D's it seems that it has a reputation for being okay on both 1.5 volt, 1.2 volt and 3.6 volt Li-Ions. Now much to my surprise and great delight not only is this a great little light on regular AAA's but it seems to not have the problem with a 10440 Li-Ion of no medium or low's like the other Fenix such as the P1D and P2D's. That was a real thrill and this thing deserves all the rave reviews I've heard and especially the new Q4 as it's an incredible amount of light for such a tiny light - a real WOW light for sure.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
it seems that it has a reputation for being okay on both 1.5 volt, 1.2 volt and 3.6 volt Li-Ions. Now much to my surprise and great delight not only is this a great little light on regular AAA's but it seems to not have the problem with a 10440 Li-Ion of no medium or low's like the other Fenix such as the P1D and P2D's.

The reason as you've probably figured out is that the current regulated circuit in the regular P1D, P2D, L1D (and L2D) is by-passed when the input voltage exceeds the Vf - so in effect the lights are direct driven when using 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable - hence no lower levels until the voltage drops to below the Vf (by that time it's nearly depleted anyway)

The L0D works differently since the lower levels are obtained by PWM (pulse wave modulation).

PWM is obviously a huge advantage when using a 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable 10440 battery - as the lower levels are still there.

But the disadvantages are:
less efficient than a true current regulated circuit (like in the L1D, L2D, P1D, P2D),
and a lot of people are sensitive to the "strobing" effect of PWM - personally, I think it's cool......

lumenal

Enlightened
Nice review - the output for this light is amazing!

Regarding the new olive anodizing:

Are there any noticeable flaws?

How does it look on the flat parts of the body tube?

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. I bet those guys who scored one of the rare rebel 100 LOD's are sitting pretty.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another nice comparison, Vincent. I really like that olive finish. Any chance at providing one of your famous stairway shots of the L0D Q4 on 10440 vs the RB80 on 10440? Thanks in advance, in any case.

Last edited:

roymail

Enlightened
Any actual or estimated runtime using standard Duracell/Energizer type cells? Looks like a great light for my wife's purse. Thanks.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any actual or estimated runtime using standard Duracell/Energizer type cells? Looks like a great light for my wife's purse. Thanks.

I can't do runtimes - but according to Fenix on their page on the L0D-Q4 -

"25 Lumens (3.5hrs) -> 9 Lumens (8.5hrs) -> 75 Lumens (1hrs)"

Also Chevrofreak does really good runtime graphs -
not the Q4 version - but since the circuit is the same, the runtimes probably should be similar -

Fenix L0D CE runtimes

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnknownVT - Thanks for explaining that. I knew they were being direct driven and that causes the loss of low level but was not clear that there was that kind of tradeoff between PWM and using rechargeables. Aren't there lights that still can have very low outputs on rechargeables and not have the PWM issue? HDS, Novatac and NiteCore come to mind in that I don't think they have any noticeable PWM but they work fine on Li-Ion 3.6 volt batteries.
Either way this Fenix is a great light and I don't mind the PWM on it that much but I wish Fenix could eliminate the loss of low in it's other lights. However my wallet seems happy they have not fixed this ;)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aren't there lights that still can have very low outputs on rechargeables and not have the PWM issue? HDS, Novatac and NiteCore come to mind in that I don't think they have any noticeable PWM but they work fine on Li-Ion 3.6 volt batteries.

It's simply the current regulating circuit design - the regular 3volt Fenix circuits were designed to boost the Vin from supplies (ie: batteries) that were below the Vf - and it is by-passed when the Vin exceeds the Vf - to become direct driven.

Some circuits are designed to lower Vin to Vf - these are normally for lights that use 2x CR123 (ie: 6 volt circuits)
- it's fairly unusual to have a circuit do both - boost and lower the Vin.

All three of the lights you cited HDS, Novatac and NiteCore - as far as I can tell doing a search here on CPF do use PWM - the reason why they are not as noticable is probably because they use much higher pulsing frequencies (and/or more sophisticated(?) PWM).

In a round-about way there is a Fenix that does not have that problem.

The P3D has a true current regulated circuit -
and can run on a single 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable and retain its lower levels. (but it cannot run on just 3Volts - eg: single CR123A).

So since the P3D head will fit either the P2D or L1D bodies -
one can use a single 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable RCR123, or 14500 respectively......

clever huh?

Last edited:

jbviau

Enlightened
Nice review! Re: the finish, I thought I'd add a few pics of my own olive LOD Q4 since someone asked. In a nutshell, I'm happy with the color and the finish. If I'm being picky, the Fenix logo (white paint in engraved cut-away, I think) could be more clearly defined, and there's some spiderwebbing (like thin lighter lines) in the anodizing on the flat parts (hard to see in some pics). But really, this is a great light. Thumbs up for the olive Q4 version!

p.s. Strange but true: The spiderwebbing I mentioned is much more noticeable under fluorescent lights like I have at work compared to at home, where I barely notice it. Not sure why...

Full view
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/jbviau/IMG_2470.jpg

Logo detail
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/jbviau/IMG_2469.jpg

Serial number
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/jbviau/IMG_2464.jpg

Flat detail 1
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/jbviau/IMG_2467.jpg

Flat detail 2
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/jbviau/IMG_2462.jpg

Flat detail 2 (under fluorescent lights at work)
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/jbviau/IMG_2483.jpg

Tailcap
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/jbviau/IMG_2463.jpg

Head 1
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/jbviau/IMG_2468.jpg

Head 2
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/jbviau/IMG_2466.jpg

Color (compared to black pen and silver knife sharpener)
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/jbviau/IMG_2471.jpg

Size (compared to L92 AAA battery)
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/jbviau/IMG_2473.jpg

Over sized images removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Flic

Enlightened
Thanks for the pics jbviau, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Though I haven't got my Q4 yet, I have seen the same type of shabby looking engraving on a couple of other Fenix lights (funny they were both premium lights). The engraving on the P3D Prem Rb100s I have (both from 4sevens initial batch) as well as the P3D Q5 olive I got recently (again from the initial lot) looked awful! My olive L2D Q5 was better but far from perfect. None of my "regular" Fenix lights have the problem. Poor details like that really cheapen the initial impression of a top notch light. I wonder if this is not related to their moving anodizing in-house and therefore possibly the engraving as well???

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The anodize looks like good ole true HA natural. Like arc or sf color. Nice!!!!

The metal ring on the cree is silver plated copper.

Put that L1D head on a L2D body to fully unleash the Q5! :D

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
my olive lod arrived a few days ago and it has the "spiderwebbing". i think it looks more like the grains in wood which looks really nice IMO. it gives the finish a natural look.:thumbsup:

Edit: ah, now i see what you meant by the flat parts. i was talking about the round parts.:tinfoil:

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This little light is becoming harder and harder to resist. And now that it comes in the Olive color, I don't think I can stand it any longer.:hairpull:

lumenal

Enlightened
Nice review! Re: the finish, I thought I'd add a few pics of my own olive LOD Q4 since someone asked. In a nutshell, I'm happy with the color and the finish. If I'm being picky, the Fenix logo (white paint in engraved cut-away, I think) could be more clearly defined, and there's some spiderwebbing (like thin lighter lines) in the anodizing on the flat parts (hard to see in the pics). But really, this is a great light. Thumbs up for the olive Q4 version!

p.s. Strange but true: The spiderwebbing I mentioned is much more noticeable under fluorescent lights like I have at work compared to at home, where I barely notice it. Not sure why...

Thanks for responding jbviau and Sir LightAlot - I noticed the "spider-webbing" also, but only on the flat parts of the body tube.

The olive anodize is a great color for a great light. :thumbsup:

Latest posts