First Light USA Tomahawk MC *Pic Heavy*

10mmWiseman

Newly Enlightened
Well I finally got my First Light USA Tomahawk MC in yesterday and it was well worth the wait! I am very impressed to say the least. The quality is every bit a Surefire if not more! Rubber O seals, nice HA-III finish, intuitive activation, and about the smoothest threads I have ever had the pleasure of twisting the end cap on. It was a little awkward at first to get used to the new concept but after playing with it for about an hour it is like an extension of my hand now.

Finding the constant on of the white light was not easy for me, once I fought my primal urge to not look at the directions and looked it up I literally slapped my forehead with a "D'oh!" Everything else was pretty easy to figure out.

First Light specializes in tactical lights, but not just the same old 100 year old tube light concept, instead they are looking to change the way we think about tac lights and how we use them for applications like law enforcement, military, security professionals, and law abiding gun owners. The Tomahawk is a great advancement in their mission.

My Tomahawk MC came with blue/red LED ring with a screaming bright LED that is smooth and refined. There are no artifacts in the beam that I can discern. As far as how bright it is truly is, it keeps up with my Fenix T1 with no problems, in fact it appears to have a better corona and side spill than the T1. The beam is really very nice with a warmer tint to it rather than the antiseptic white we have all seen with the Cree Q5.

Let's get to some pics! :grin2:

whitebeam.jpg

This picture was taken at 12 inches away, this is to show how beautiful the beam is. The LED is not off center BTW, it is just the angle of the camera.

lightside.jpg

Sitting on my desk just for effect.

redside.jpg
blueside.jpg
UVside.jpg

Red, Blue, and Purple (almost a UV type)

redbeam.jpg
bluebeam.jpg
purplebeam.jpg

Functionally the color LED modes are very cool and useful. No more damned filters! :grin2:

Best of all there are 3 brightness levels for the color LED's!

diodeLEDring.jpg

The LED itself, I dunno what it is but I like it! :p

The reflector is of the smooth type giving the Tomahawk some great throw.

controls.jpg

The controls, looks like a happy face but it works well. The big curved bar is the momentary screaming bright OMG my retinas have seared into ash mode. The left button is the constant on button, click and release and you have color LED (whatever color you have set), hold in for one second and you have constant on of the white light. With the white light on constant you can press the right button which will cycle through 3 brightness levels, if you are on low pressing the momentary bar will bring it back to max for the duration you hold the momentary bar, releasing will reset it back to low. With the light off pressing the right button will cycle through your LED color settings.

greengo.jpg
redstop.jpg

Green means go, red means stop. If flashing red the light is locked out from use. To lock the light hold down the two top buttons for one second, to unlock you use the same procedure.

gunlightside.jpg
gunlightfront.jpg

Using with a firearm, after getting used to the concept and the ring I find myself preferring this light over weapons mounted and tube lights doing the dance of the Rogers technique and the ilk. Very easy and intuitive to incorporate into training, it becomes 2nd nature pretty quickly. The ring is large enough to accommodate my meat hooks for hands even with a shooting glove comfortably.

*Conclusions* One hell of a product by First Light USA! I am very impressed and it takes a lot to do that to me anymore. Currently First Light USA is running a special for February to offer the CPF 10% off their purchase. If you are looking for a tactical light or something like the Kroma but even better, here you go!

10mmWiseman

Newly Enlightened
Just personal preference.

I have very sensitive eyes and the color blue is easier on my eyes than green.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello 10mmWiseman,

I got one of those lights too.

Mine has red and green LED's.

I have spent the last week and a half handing it over to people asking them what they think of a finger held light. Initially, most people don't know what to say, but after using it for a few minutes, the advantages become apparent. It is not ideal for every situation, but there are a lot of situations where it works very well.

My interest in this light started when it was mentioned as a similar light to the SureFire Kroma. This light uses a reflector, and I find the beam much more useful than the optic beam from the Kroma, except in heavy rain, fog, and driving snow.

The main beam is quite bright and there is a generous amount of spill light. I measured about 2600 lux at 1 meter on partially used CR123 cells. I believe the light is regulated, so the state of charge on the batteries should not be an issue.

Comparing the red LED's on the Kroma and the Tomahawk MC, the MC's low is brighter than the Kroma's low, the MC's medium is about the same as the Kroma's high, and then the MC has a high setting that is brighter than the Kroma's high setting.

My Kroma has blue LED's and my MC has green LED's so it is hard to compare them. I would suspect that there would be a similar comparison to what I observed with the red LED's.

Low white on the Kroma is dimmer than low white on the MC. Maximum brightness on both the Kroma and the MC are about the same, but the MC has a much fuller spill light. Then the MC has a medium setting which I found very useful.

Overall, I am very impressed with the Tomahawk MC. I have a few "issues" that I will get into later, but it seems to be a very high quality light with lots of flexibility.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Houtex,

My biggest issue is with the belt clip. Mine has a plastic cover that keeps sliding down, and the "bend" isn't quite right for my use. If I clip it to my belt, I have a heck of a time getting it off. The same thing happens when I clip it to my pants pocket, or my coat pocket.

I am planning on addressing this with a pair of pliers to see if I can make it more useful.

On a related note, I had difficulty carrying the light because of the problems with the clip. I ended up just putting it into my pocket and carrying it that way. It was a little bulky, but I was able to manage.

Another issue has to do with the placement of the switches while using it in finger carry. The most frequently used method of finger carry is by putting the first finger through the finger loop. In this position, my thumb has to "reach" to utilize the on/off and light level switches. While I am "reaching," I frequently hit the momentary on switch, which wakes me up with a blast of the high output of the white LED.

It works better if I put the finger holder on my middle finger, but then I loose most of the functionality of my hand.

I might add that this same observation was offered to me by several people who tried out the light at my request. With practice I don't think it is a big issue, but I am having to train myself to finger carry this light.

I must admit that I am spoiled by the very soft low light from my Y/G A2. The Tomahawk MC does not, in my humble opinion, have a low enough low for the colored LED's, and the white LED. We were driving through Queens looking for the Park Side restaurant. I had a map and was the navigator. I turned on the green LED in low mode, and it was way too bright. I moved to low red. It was better, but could have been a little lower. Low white was very distracting for the driver.

Now this may not be an "average" use of this light, but I should point out that on 108th St and Corona Ave, there is a fair amount of ambient light. Using this light in very dark conditions confirmed that the low levels are, once again in my humble opinion, too bright.

My final "nit" to pick has to do with the finger loop. I, and others, found that moving the loop back and forth to accommodate left and right handed carry resulted in the barrel loosening up a little. The head never did fall off, and there never seemed to be a problem with the electrical connection, but the barrel loosened up never the less.

Over all, I am very pleased with this light. I am taking the time to learn how to carry and use it. I was kind of expecting a brownish beam when using the red and green LED's together. I kind of get that on the high level, but with medium and low, the green dominates the beam. I understand that the red and blue, when used together, make a nice purple beam...

As you can see, my "issues" are pretty trivial, so rest assured that you will most likely be pleased with your purchase. I know that I am.

Tom

houtex

Enlightened
Thanks Silverfox. The issue you seem to have can be very REAL for some people. My firearms instructor told me something once when I asked about a holster,"If it aint comfortable you aint gonna carry it" so I apply that to alot of tools I carry. Keys,knives,gun and lights.Thanks again for the heads up.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Update:

I spent some time examining and using a variety of lights that I have that have clips. After much thought I made a slight modification in the bend of the clip on my Tomahawk MC, and now am very pleased with the way it works.

I will have to continue to try it for a few days, but I believe it is going to now work very well.

I just opened up the clip by unbending the major bend, then removed the clip and bent the minor bend a little more. This opened up the gap a little, but the clip still grabs and keeps the light from falling out.

For now... I am very pleased with this very slight modification.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I was just made aware that the electronic switch on this light continues to draw a little current even when everything is shut down.

I measured a draw of 0.000185 amps on my light. This continued even when the light was locked out.

If we start with 1500 mAh batteries, that draw will drain the batteries in around a year. If you purchase this light and decide to set it on the shelf for awhile, take the batteries out of it.

Tom

fasuto

Enlightened
I'm very interested in this light, but is to expensive for me.
Can someone compare the red beam of the MC and the one from a Proton PRO (no need beamshots only your opinion)
Also if you can compare with a sidewinder (which I have) it would be useful.

Do you think the read beam is good for outdoor walking?

Can the Tomahawk be "worm" with the finger clip only, and the battery tube out of your hand? Similar way than the Liberator. Hope you can understand me.

Do you think is better purchase than the kroma?

Many Thanks

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Fasuto,

I can't do the comparison, but I did go for a walk and the red LED provided ample close in lighting for a night walk.

I carried the light using the finger clip backward as you indicated. I am still getting use to finger carry, but it wasn't any more strange than carrying it the other way around.

Comparing the Tomahawk and the Kroma is really tough. In true CPF style, I would have to suggest that you purchase both... :)

Tom

fasuto

Enlightened
Thanks Silverfox.

I can't buy both, kroma is too expensive, also I prefer the tomahawk because of it's originality, price, use of rechargeables, more modes and beam colors (green vs blue).

I'm a little concerned using RCR on the tomahawk, first light usa says to only use 3V.

Not sure if I should buy, it will be my more expensive flashlight (I have Barbolights wich cost more, but are "dive equipment" so not count as flashlights costs).
Also I'm not sure of it use in long term, I usually change my EDC's for latest models.

Now PTS carry the tomahawk too, wich is great, good prize past february.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Fasuto,

The Tomahawk MC runs fine on R-CR123 cells. If you go to a single Li-Ion cell, it loses the high levels. I had a chat with them about this, and they are aware of it, but prefer to suggest that it be used with CR123 cells instead of the rechargeable ones.

The problem with the R-CR123 cells is runtime, consistency, and charging. I don't think they want to be bothered with trying to figure out all the battery questions. Another thought I have had is that they advertise their light as Made in the USA. I am not aware of any R-CR123 cells that are available from a US battery manufacturer. The light comes with Duracell CR123 cells.

Barboloights are great. I have one and I don't dive. I did loan it to a group of divers for evaluation... if that counts for anything... :)

Tom

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
You said it loses the high levels.
The website rates it at 120 lumens, but is that with the regular 123 or the rechargable ones? If its 120 with the regular and even higher with the rechargables then thats great.

Also, anyone know what type of LED is in these tomahawk lights?

Last edited:

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
From playing with this flashlight, does it seem that you would be able to hold the flashlight in your hand with the ring while simultaneously handcuffing someone or wrestling with someone?

And how durable is the finger ring? its plastic right? While fine for shooting, if I have to wrestle someone or do other activities with my hands and the finger ring breaks then its not much better than a normal flashlight in that respect

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the post above and the website I was thinking it ran on a single CR123, but I see from the PDF that it runs on 2 x CR123.

Will an 18650 Fit? 17670? And you say it looses max, but do you still have 3 distinct levels?

Is the finger ring and clip removable? - *EDIT* yes from PDF.

Any idea on an approximate Lumen value for each level?

Could somebody unscrew all the pieces and take a pic?

Also a pic next to HDS/Novatac for size reference would be nice.
:popcorn:

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Eyeeatingfish,

The Tomahawk MC uses a P4 SSC LED for the main beam. The lumen rating was based on using primary CR123 cells (Duracell).

The finger ring is plastic, but I don't know its limits. I wore the light for a week while working and climbing on some high pressure gas tubes (not the same as wrestling someone to hand cuff them, but still challenging), and the finger ring held up just fine. I did manage to get the light hooked a couple of times and I put some extra force on the ring, but it held up fine.

Of course I must add that your mileage may vary...

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Cave dave,

I lied...

You loose the highest white LED setting when running it with a Wolf Eyes 168B, which, I believe, is a 17670. You end up with only two levels of white light. However, you still have 3 levels of the colored LED's.

The problem is that you need a nipple to make contact on the + end of the light. My Wolf Eyes cell does not have a nipple.

There is another thread in the reviews section of the strobe Tomahawk. I believe there is a breakdown picture and a size comparison to a Novatac light. It is about the same length as an E1e, but the head has an angle to it and the whole light is a little bigger in diameter than the E1e.

Tom