milkyspit "Creemator" Muhahahahahahahah!

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
After building my new "Chrononster II," a modified Magilite with 4 Seoul LEDs cranking out around 800 lumens, I decided it was time for a pocket rocket. So I picked up a milkyspit "Creemator:"

- Runs on 1xr123 or 2x123 primaries (including 17670s and 18650s)
- Uses his custom Acorn driver with four lighting levels from his "Gotham"
- One Q5 Cree XRE
- In a modified HA natural KX1 Surefire head
- UCL window
- McR19-XR reflector

On high this little puppy puts out around 240 lumens! With the McR19-XR reflector the beam is smooth and buttery, and the tint is slightly warm (my preference).

The Acorn driver is a marvel, providing four lighting levels with two UIs: Tactical (when first turned on, it defaults to the High setting) and General (which presets to the last used lighting level). From his specs the lighting levels are:
  • Max (a.k.a. High): 900mA
  • Medium: 270mA
  • Low: 54mA
  • Ultralow: 2.3mA
Since the Acorn driver utilizes his custom code, I can send the light in for firmware updates whenever needed or wanted. I understand that on Ultralow the light can run for over a month...

I am currently running the Creemator on a HA nat Surefire E2E body as it provides me more runtime on 2x123 or on a 17670. Next up will likely be a Leef or Mirage Man custom 18650 E-series compatible body.

The beam is a wonderful mix of bright throw and spill, almost ideal for outdoor use. When I run it with a R123 (unprotected) cell, on high, it easily puts out 2-3 times the output of my E1B "Backup!"

It is fun to see what can be done to "push the envelope" regarding flashlights. To have a light that can crank out well over 200 lumens on one cell, in full regulation, is amazing. Throw in four separate light levels, two UIs... Wow. This is a killer pocket rocket.

Here it is attached to a 2x123 Surefire E2E body:

This is a shot with it on a 1x123 Surefire E1L body, alongside a E1B and E1E w/ KL1:

Another shot on a E2E body:

The Cree Q5 seated on the Acorn driver:

Another family shot of multi-level LEDs:

One last family shot:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe you took off the milkyspit label around the head! That's like cutting out the Nike swoosh or ripping off the Mercedes peace sign with the 3rd leg! haha.

But great review of the Creemator! I love all of milkyspit's creations and he knows I'm a big fan. I vote with my wallet...or paypal, in this case! :grin2:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL It screamed loudly as I peeled it off... ;)

I use an F04 beamshaper, so I knew the label wouldn't last. But the label is in fine shape for whenever it wants to play "dress up." :)

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Howdy. I second your Muhahahaha.

I also just received this setup from Scott.

The new Surefire Backup with a click-through UI got me thinking, on thing led to another, and now I'm the proud owner of a Creemator.

I was mainly interested in the multiple levels and the efficiency of the controller, but this thing smokes! It's significantly brighter than my ML1 Cree Extreme. It might be as bright as my Malkoff M60.

With the runtimes promised for the Gotham, this light is going to be my workhorse.

My only complaint is I'd rather call it my Gothic E2L.

I kept the stock optic, though. I really like this beam. I'm tempted to try and see what this new TIR looks like in a NovaTac. Has anyone tried that yet?

Cheers.

Last edited:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad you are liking this light Chronos. I'm on my 3rd Milky mod since I sold this one to you. Great review:thumbsup:
Thanks! And thanks for such a smooth transaction. Gotta see you other milky-mods! I was thinking about building this same light and saw your ad.

Hey skalo,
How you doin'? ;) The beam is more balanced between throw and spill, just the way I like it.

gottawearshades,
I love it! :) Great name for a great little light. The Gotham bloodline runs through it. Hmmmm. Gothamator. Gotham Lite.

Sorry for the tardy replies. Been on the road (and will be for a while). Sigh. :( Not much fun for me or my family.:candle: Guess which light I've had with me- yeppers, the "Creemator." :cool:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Every time I see an E2E I again marvel at how small it is.

I don't own one because I won't buy an incandescent light! But then even if I did, I'd have to get a KL1 and get Milky to do magic to it and I just can't make myself do it!

Threads like this REALLY bring me down a notch...

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick mention, I've got a SEOULmator in HA-BK for sale over here on CPF... it's essentially the Seoul SSC reflectored counterpart to the CREEmator with nearly as much output but more balanced between hotspot and sidespill.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick mention, I've got a SEOULmator in HA-BK for sale over here on CPF... it's essentially the Seoul SSC reflectored counterpart to the CREEmator with nearly as much output but more balanced between hotspot and sidespill.

Nope...that's gone now! Wow! :twothumbs

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking to get a Creemator from Milky.

I've seen the specs but can't find any beamshots.

Can anyone point me to where there might be some?

Thanks

Here are a few...

First, the beam profile...

img-sprint-run-02-creemator-ceiling.jpg

Next, comparison of focus, with flood on left, spot on right...

img-sprint-run-02-creemator-cellar-flood-spot.jpg

Last but not least, an example of the four brightness levels... note this was taken with older firmware running on the Creemator in question, so the relative brightness from level to level may be slightly different now... it's not dramatically different, though, so the photo should still offer a good idea...

img-sprint-run-02-creemator-cellar-levels.jpg

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
as a proud Gotham owner (#17), i find this light/head very interesting. i'd be more apt to EDC the Creemater (the Gotham is a work of art and i don't want to mar it any by EDC-ing it).

how does one go about obtaining this light/head? please advise. many thanks.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
as a proud Gotham owner (#17), i find this light/head very interesting. i'd be more apt to EDC the Creemater (the Gotham is a work of art and i don't want to mar it any by EDC-ing it).

how does one go about obtaining this light/head? please advise. many thanks.

Half-Watt, I can build you one. Please send PM if interested. (Edit: I see you did send a PM, I'll reply in a moment.)

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the "Acorn" SSC P4 setup in an HA old style KL1 head myself. It's a smoothie and boy does it have a nice beam! E1L body w Z57 and one of those new "flared" tails from JS Burleys. Now updated firmware too, hooray!

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
rcv'd a "Creemator Noir" (utilizing a SF E1B Backup as a host) today.

haven't had too much time to play w/it yet, but my initial impressions are that this one may very well become a regular EDC.

even though there are only four o.p. levels (8, if one counts the 4 "Miser Mode" o.p. levels also), there is great flexibility in selection of light o.p., ranging fr/~1lm all the way up to ~231lm on my particular Creemator (utilizing the standard or default Milky Creemator current levels). the optics swapped out for an OP reflector. so, a bit of throw is sacrificed for a much cleaner, and an overall much more useful beam.

the two Modes (Normal and Miser) coupled w/the two UI's (General and Tactical) permit quite a bit of flexibility in how the light may be configured. if i have need of a different configuration, or just get tired one config, just tap away (20 tapes to toggle b/t UI's, and 50 taps to toggle b/t Modes) and i essentially have a whole new light w/a different set of characteristics. this one ought to keep me busy and my interest up for a while.

down the pike, i'm thinking of having Milky build me another one optimized for use w/CR123A primary cells instead of the RCR's that this one is optimized for. the primaries would require that a lower MAX o.p. be programmed, but that's just the point, the next one i'd request, if possible, will optimize for burntimes. in this one, the max drive current is 867ma.

the brightness and burntime specifics of this one are as follows:

Normal Mode:
231lm for 0h 42
69lm for 2h 20m
21lm for 7h 42m
1lm for 150h

Miser Mode:
42lm for 3h 53m
12lm for 12h 58m
4lm for 42h 47m
1lm for 150h

keep in mind that these burntimes are with a nominal 600mAh RCR123A cell. the nominal 600mAh value is based upon testing of various RCR's (claiming higher capacities). this is according to SilverFox via Milky to me via telcon.

the light head can be run on an E2D head utilizing either 1x17670 (for ~2.5x the burntimes on all levels) or 2xCR123A primaries (for ~1.6x the burntimes on all levels).

1lm is with the lowest drive current that can be utilized in the driver, if i understood Milky correctly.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
down the pike, i'm thinking of having Milky build me another one optimized for use w/CR123A primary cells instead of the RCR's that this one is optimized for. the primaries would require that a lower MAX o.p. be programmed, but that's just the point, the next one i'd request, if possible, will optimize for burntimes. in this one, the max drive current is 867ma.

exactly what the "Hoople" is, specifically optimized for a single primary and long runtimes. i got 14 days continuous on low and then i stopped because i was too bored to do it longer (and "2 weeks" is easier to remember). on Miser mode, this would be even longer (more than double supposedly)! that said, the High on it is only ~46 lumens...

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
HH,

that "Hoople" Head sure looks like a nice light.

i was thinking of something like 120lm (or 100lm, but prob 120lm, unless both too high for 1xCR123A to drive, in which case then either 60lm or 80lm for MAX & i'd have to rethink the rest of them), 60lm, 30lm, 15lm in Normal Mode, and 20lm 10lm 5lm 1lm in Miser Mode. Don't know if these Miser Mode levels are possible given the Normal Mode levels - would have to confirm w/Milky.

i'd like the order to be totally non-Tactical, viz. in all Modes, progression would be UL, Low, Med, and then Max.

i'd probably go w/another SF E1B Backup as a host, or just have the head built up and swap it in an out on this host (or my "stock" E1B, now rarely used).

any thoughts on these levels?