Milkyspit's Masterpiece - the CREEmator! Pic heavy!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the "unsung heroes" – an old timer at CPF and one of the good guys – and masters of the art of flashlight modding is our friend Scott, better known to everyone as "Milkyspit".

He sits up there in the mysterious "Milkyspit Labs" and turns out some of the coolest custom stuff you'll ever see.

Milky has been doing his magic since long before I ever knew there were 'real' flashlights in existence, and many of the old timers within CPF are well familiar with Scott, but if you haven't heard of his work or seen some of his creations, you should take the time to do a search for "Milkyspit" within the forum and prepare to be amazed.

Anyone who has read any of my reviews knows of I have a fondness for many of the talented custom builders who show or sell their masterpieces on this forum - we are fortunate to have so much good stuff to choose from.

But this is about Milky – and in particular, his "Creemator" – there are better descriptions within the forum about how Scott takes particular Surefire lights and "Creemates" them, so I won't try to be technical, but I would like to share some of my thoughts on this amazing light. In November I asked Scott for a light that would provide me with max throw, 250 lumens plus, strobe capability, and oh, yes, all in a small light that I could put in my pocket. He delivered this and more. My homemade IS confirms that it is above the 250 mark (some get over 300 – I am using 1 RCR and still getting 250+), has a beautiful tint, throws forever, and even has a focusable beam that can morph into a pseudo flood when needed.

Who likes cars? Do you like analogies? I see the Milkyspit Creemator as the 'Shelby Mustang' of flashlights. Oh, yes, there are Ferraris out there that might be a bit more refined, but when you want a solid, powerful, reliable package – there's the Creemator.

I particularly like the programmability of the light. The way Milky delivered it to me was with the Acorn 1.3 "Califon" firmware – set for 5 different 'modes' – first, a blinding, long throwing high – then a tactical strobe that will stop traffic and make animals stop in their tracks – then medium, medium low, then the sweetest low you'll see. Reminds me of the ultra low setting on a Surefire T1A, only a much nicer tint. Then of course, you can program it for a 4 level setting that always comes on in "opera" mode - the ultra low first then ramping up to the high. Need to save batteries? Do the required number of tap tap taps on the switch and activate 'miser mode' - reduced output with all the functionality and extended battery life.

I wouldn't divulge his secrets if I knew them, but Milky is a programming master. And his skills with the physical mod are fantastic, too.

Here's a shot of my Surefire E1B head after Milky finished.
IMG_1391.JPG

Here I've removed the focusable part of the head allowing you to see the goodies inside.
IMG_1392.JPG

And the CREE emitter mounted on Milky's magic 'stuff'...
IMG_1397.JPG

Messy corner of my patio - control - cloudy day...
IMG_2463.JPG

One of my favorites, the Haiku
IMG_2507.JPG

And then "the beast" - the CREEmator...I smile every time I fire this light up! It's a winner!
IMG_2514.JPG

Here are some indoor shots showing some color rendition - assuming of course that you have seen a 'sweet sunburst 'strat!' ;)
IMG_3532.JPG

The CREEmator is a beast!!
IMG_3534.JPG

Here's an example of the results of rotating the bezel and changing the focus...you can't really see the increase in spill as much as really exists - in the 'fully tightened' mode it will light a very large area but still has a great spot.

IMG_3485.JPG

Looks to me almost as if the spot is going to drill through the wall!!
IMG_3486.JPG

Huge flood area with only a minor drop off in the brightness of the spot
IMG_3487.JPG

How about some "eye candy?"

This is my favorite configuration - mounted on a 2x123 McClicky pak with a lanyard. This light is ALWAYS with me when I go on walks with my dogs in the dark. Purdy, ain't it? :naughty:
IMG_3430.JPG

How about on a bead blasted 1x123 McClicky?
IMG_1401.JPG

Or a Surefire E2DL body?
IMG_1411.JPG

Or a 1x123 McClicky?
IMG_1415.JPG

Or how about we just admire the CREEmator....
IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

Scott's work isn't the 'cheapest' out there, but it's worth every penny. We see physical modifications - what we don't see is the development work put into writing code for the firmware, or tweaking a light to do just what a user needs. Ask the policeman with the "Room Sweeper" who relies on this specialized light to give him an edge when entering a room potentially housing bad guys - ask me when I am walking my dogs on a dark road and need to see 'thangs' that lurk in the woods, then immediately need to activate the strobe so the speeding early morning driver can see me. Ask any of the other hundreds of users who weren't satisfied with "off the shelf" and found what they needed within Milky Labs.

Can you get these functions elsewhere - cheaper? Maybe - but not all together, and not with the functionality that Milky's lights provide. Besides, you get what you pay for.

If you haven't looked into what Milky's special lights can do for you, you should take a look....and should you decide to purchase one of his lights, my bet is that, like me and so many others, you'll decide that it was worth every penny!
:twothumbs

Last edited:

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Run4jc,

You have pretty much summed it up.

Milky is a great guy, who builds great lights.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

GunSmoke16610

Enlightened
Run4jc- Excellent post. Based on your feedback and this light Scott is building my Creemator right now! Hopefully it will be soon :sick2:

Thanks for holding me over :thumbsup:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome review on a highly sought after light. I agree with the Mustang Shelby analogy too.

The hot spot seems too bright for indoor use...almost.;) Proves the XR-E R2's still serve a purpose and perform great doing it. I like XR-E's for added throw over the XP-G.

Those pictures are killer too.

SFfanman

Enlightened
My gosh Run4JC. :sick: Do you ever cease to amaze? ........probably not but man are you a guiding light for this forum. :twothumbs Great job man. I don't see how this light wouldn't appeal to any flashaholic given the options and adjustability from spot to flood. Has anyone else ever come up with a focusable head? ....Not that I know of. Truly magic and your review brings what could have been nestled deep underground, above surface and into the light, especially for those standard flashaholics who want to take that first step into the custom realm and discover what lays ahead.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want one.

Dare I ask how much?

Gorgeous light, but it's the pocket rocket part that is so appealing.

PM sent - and you are right, it's the pocket rocket that is so appealing. I got tired of carrying a Jetbeam M1X - great light, but just too big for taking every time I walked my dogs and only 2 modes. Incidentally, the good news regarding price is that should you invest in one, you could probably get every penny back out of it should you need to sell it. Watch the posts in Custom B/S/T - most of them go quickly.

I don't see how this light wouldn't appeal to any flashaholic given the options and adjustability from spot to flood. Has anyone else ever come up with a focusable head?

I think there may be some - seems like I've seen mention of 1 or 2? But the entire package of options seems to rest solely with Milky. He's great to deal with, too. I've had this light for what seems (in this obsessive collecting behavior :crazy:) forever, but in truth for about 4 1/2 months. But as mentioned in the original post, if you do a search for "Milky", "Milkyspit", "Creemator", "Seoulmater", (there are many others, too) you'll be bombarded with information.

Oh, update guys - you might want to look over here...

Thanks for the kind words! :eek:

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks to Gunsmoke16610, I just picked up one of the Creemator Noir heads. After a night of use, WOW! I think the TIR optic must stand for "Throw is Ridiculous..." This thing really reaches out there. Combined with Scott's work, it is just fantastic. Output for any occasion, easy to navigate, and your choice of some flood or a more focused beam if you want it. What's not to love? :twothumbs:twothumbs