• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired (Sold) Multi-Mode Buck-Boost Sandwiches for FF-I & FF-II

HgRyu

Enlightened
I made some multi-mode buck-boost drivers for my project (comming soon... :)) and have some surplus from test version. So I made some Multi-mode led module compatible with sandwich.

Specification
  • LED : SSC P4 bin - USXOH
  • Driver : High efficient Buck-Boost converter with 3 regular brightness levels and 4 hidden signals.
  • Battery : One 3V CR123A or one 3.6V RCR123A (recommend AW's protected Li-Ion cell)
Driver and Brightness levels, Hidden Signals
  • BitZ driver use high efficient Buck-Boost converter and it will control power to the LED even though you use 3.6V rechargeable Li-Ion battery. So, LED will not be damaged by unregulated high current from Li-Ion battery. Off course, birightness by regular 3V CR123A and 3.6V rechargeable Li-Ion battery will be same.
  • Input voltage range : 1.8V ~ 5.5V
  • There are basic 3 Brightness levels (Medium-Low-High) and hidden 4 Signals (Strobe-Locator-Extreme Low-S.O.S.)
  • Brightness (estimated) : High (120~130lumen), Medium (30~40lumen), low (10lumen)
  • Current to LED (tested) : High (500mA), Medium (150mA), Low (30mA)
  • Rumtime (tested) : High (1~2 hours), Medium (3~6 hours), low (12~24 hours) depending on 3V or 3.6V. (see below runtime graph for details)
  • Runtime for Signal mode (tested by CR123A) : Strobe (7 hours), Locator (36 hours), Ext.Low (70 hours), S.O.S. (3 hours)
  • Basic 3 brightness levels has Memory Function. You will get next level by Off and On within two seconds.
  • You will get into Signal mode by consecutive 8 On and Off. No memory function in Signals.
  • Locator signal : useful mode for tracking and camping as "follow me" signal or location signal.
  • Extreme Low : This mode is useful as a overnight candle at tent. Current to LED is 10mA.
Price and terms,

1. Quantity for sale : total 9 sandwiches
#1 - acourvil
#2 - TIP AND RING
#3 - darkzero
#4 ~ #9 - PhotonFanatic

I have Madmax sandwich which I don't use and I'll let it go.
#10 (Madmax lite with SSC P4 USXOH, upgraded from Lux-III TWAJ)

2. Price : U$35 for #1 ~ #9, U$20 for #10
3. Shipping : U$3, airmail shipping to everywhere (not responsible for lost or demage)
4. Payment to hgryu(at)hanmir(dot)com via Paypal only (no additional Paypal charge)
5. Post here "I'll take #?"
6. I'll add brass tab for + battery contact as below picture. You have to remove brass tab to use the sandwich in Mag-2AA but I don't recommand this sandwich for Mag-2AA as this driver is buck-boost and have minimum input voltage 1.8V, this will cause short runtime compare with boost (only) driver. BitZ driver is optimized for protected rechargable Li-Ion battery.
7. Original FireFly I & II use Luxeon led so there can be bad focus and beam with my sandwich. I have FireFly-II but don't have original optic so I can't tell what will happen.:grin2:
8. My converter is not designed for sandwich so my sandwich don't have perfect fit and shape, also I think you can't upgrade led later (or very very difficult..)

Runtime Graph

graphsz6.jpg

Last edited:

acourvil

Enlightened
Re: Multi-Mode Buck-Boost Sandwiches for FF-I & FF-II

I would like one; you can leave the brass tab off if you have not already assembled them. PP sent

Last edited:

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great! I guess these would be OK with RCR2 rechargeables as well - except for shorter runtime?

7. Original FireFly I & II use Luxeon led so there can be bad focus and beam with my sandwich. I have FireFly-II but don't have original optic so I can't tell what will happen.:grin2:

May I ask what optic or reflector you use with your Fire~Fly II?

Thanks in advance
Eric

TIP AND RING

Enlightened

I will take 1 sandwich please. PP to follow. Good work .

Thanks,
T&R

HgRyu

Enlightened

I would like one; you can leave the brass tab off if you have not already assembled them. PP sent
I'll remove tab and PP received. Thanks.

can i buy the driver only?
Sorry. I don't have surplus now. I'll make enough drivers next batch for general use.

Great! I guess these would be OK with RCR2 rechargeables as well - except for shorter runtime?
May I ask what optic or reflector you use with your Fire~Fly II?
Eric
Yes, it's OK with RCR2 but I don't have RCR2 and don't know about runtime. I'm using JIL CR2 reflector for my FF-II.

PayPal sent.
PP received. Thanks.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast

This looks like it would be a great upgrade for the Groovy.
I handled one once and think it took a sandwich.
Or would there be focus problems?

HgRyu what are the dimensions of this board?
It sounds like it is 15-16mm and E-Can compatible but what is the height of the driver without the led heatsink?

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

PP sent for one sandwich. I would like the brass tab put please send it not attached to the sandwich. Do you have extras of these brass tabs? I'm interested in a few more.

Thanks

-Will-

HgRyu

Enlightened

nein166,
I don't have Groovy. Sandwich will fit to Groovy if it use standard sandwich.
Diameter of my board is 14mm (.55inch?) and height will be max 5.5mm (.22inch) but don't have suplus drivers for sell now.

HgRyu

Enlightened

darkzero,
Received Paypal. Thanks.
You got my PM.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ahhhh - darn just what I've been looking for to fix my Firefly II. Fred - when you get these if you can let one go please PM me. PM sent to PhotonFanatic....

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
My sandwich no longer lights up after 10 mins use.

It was on locater mode & I heard a buzzing sound everytime it flashed. After turning it off & back on it would no longer light up.

I do not use the retainer ring in my FF, I use an oring so shorting on the the solder points you pictured was not an issue.

Is the emitter epoxied to the emitter board or just has thermal grease? The ground contact on the emitter board is shorted with the positive on the LED which should not be. Also, ground on the LED is not connected to the emitter board ground, but not sure if that's normal for the Bitz coard.

With ground shorted to positive on the LED, is the board fried now? I'm hoping it's just the LED not properly isolated from the emitter board.

:(

HgRyu

Enlightened
Emitter is epoxied by AA. Positive and negative wire connect to emitter lead from the board directly and another ground wire to emitter board from driver.
I can't find the problem without the module and I'm sorry for the trouble.
I'll refund money to you. Thanks.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emitter is epoxied by AA. Positive and negative wire connect to emitter lead from the board directly and another ground wire to emitter board from driver.
I can't find the problem without the module and I'm sorry for the trouble.
I'll refund money to you. Thanks.

The above post speaks volumes to me so when you have more sandwich`s or boards by themself for sale, a PayPal is ready & waiting! ;)