1923 household lamp - still useful today?

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
Would you consider those to be lanterns @Lowglow and @sgt253?
Ever ready did sell lanterns - sadly I don't own one - but these were listed as 'hand lamps' in 1913. This advert shows both 😍
Screenshot_2021-07-29_at_16.01.11_480x480.jpg

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
If they still made those in Britian I would buy one of each.
Me too for sure! They are what many lights these days are not - interesting and inventive as well as something you want to own. They also made 'electric candles' and 'electric oil lamps'. The electric oil lamps are lovely too. Even the bulb is shaped like a little flame.
20231220_191335.jpg

sgt253

Enlightened
Those are lovely - and the printing is in remarkable condition. You can see they are quality too! What batteries do they take? Someone has really cared for them.
Thank you. I could not pass them up being in that condition. They take D sized batteries. @ bykfixer: yes, you are correct that lantern is the more appropriate name for two that I have.
IMG_1193.jpg
IMG_1192.jpg

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I could not pass them up being in that condition. They take D sized batteries. @ bykfixer: yes, you are correct that lantern is the more appropriate name for two that I have.View attachment 54414View attachment 54415
Thank you for the inside photos. Just as pristine as the outside and it oozes 1930's appeal. In the UK that would have been made to take an 800 battery but honestly the D battery is the best I think for reliability. I bet they are on the original bulbs too.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Honestly, if those sweet antiques work like they should.... why not?
Use them, and enjoy them.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, if those sweet antiques work like they should.... why not?
Use them, and enjoy them.
People didn't start becoming flashaholics in 2015 when LED lights were finally bright. The old stuff works and works well. Of course someone thought I can make a better switch, another thought I can make the body stronger, someone else thought up a better relector and a lense too, another decided to make things cheaper, someone decided to improve the looks, etc., etc. Sure the past 30 years lights are the best however some older stuff could be usable and fun.