1923 household lamp - still useful today?

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
The very early lights were often made from wood as it was easier to machine and shape than metal - plus the wooden lights took the much more long-lasting box batteries. The wooden lamps made it through to about 1933 in a much simpler form (a basic oak model with small reflector). This is about the light from around the 1920 period.

20231219_180711.jpg

These are high quality and yet not that expensive today - this one was £4.50. It has a distinct look with the punched reflector and lacquered fruitwood body. Batteries are no longer available but they were 4.5 Volts so I rigged up a battery pack and regulator to preserve the original bulb.
20231219_180954.jpg

And on powering it up and looking into the reflector you can see the vintage bulb filament and 'fireball' effect that the dimples have.
20231219_180904.jpg

The switch on the top offers 'lockout', 'momentary', and permanently on. Its quite straightforward but fairly crude. But it works!
20231219_180751.jpg

So are these lights still useful a century on? Well I say yes...with a couple of reservations. Firstly the beam is soft and wide.
20231219_182552.jpg

So for walking it's not that good. Better than a mobile phone though!
20231219_182400.jpg

But it comes to life for tasks. Here the broad beam, carry handle, ability to be stood or hung and absence of rings and holes makes it actually useful in the home like taking the rubbish out.
20231219_182439.jpg

And indoor dark places like the garage or loft
20231219_181838.jpg

When I bought my last one the person selling it didn't even know it was a torch! So keep a look out. They are not too expensive and they are a bit of history to boot. I'm using mine a fair bit and in fact have picked up a few types over the summer. Some have a lenses front and some have a matte reflector for an even softer beam. I could put an LED in I suppose but the reflectors are set up for a bulb so it's not optimal.

Hope you enjoyed something a bit different.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Interesting. One thing which jumped at me is the huge size battery needed back then to get halfway decent run time. I'll bet those three AA batteries have more energy than the original battery did. It shows how far battery tech has advanced in a century.

Lots of old things are still useful. I'm still using a 50 year old washing machine. It does the job. Our boiler is 70 years old. A lot of older stuff just never breaks, unlike much of the junk they sell nowadays.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE! You did a nice balance job of restoring usability without ruining the vintage look and flavor of the artifact. Thank you for not converting it to LED and changing the reflector or some other abomination.

I cringe when I see people absolutely ruin the patina of antique items, like cleaning collectable coins, antique firearms, knives, swords and such. I'm a member of a metal detecting forum, and it makes me sick what some (not all) of the members do with the old artifacts that they dig up. They feel that the item is "theirs, to do with as they like". I take the attitude that you can't "own" those old antiques, they belong to history, we are only stewards that Providence has entrusted with the items for awhile. I try to preserve old things, so they can be passed down to the next generations to appreciate, enjoy and learn about the past from. You have been a good steward, and I hope others learn from your example and follow suit. :) (y)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I agree there. If you want "modern", just buy something new. The very point of old stuff is it gives insight into how people lived in those days. As such, it should be left in original condition as much as possible. Sometimes you'll need to make a fewer minor changes if you want to get it working again, like using modern batteries because the old ones simply no longer exist.

I love LEDs but converting a piece like this to LED would have been both pointless and an affront to history.

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. One thing which jumped at me is the huge size battery needed back then to get halfway decent run time. I'll bet those three AA batteries have more energy than the original battery did. It shows how far battery tech has advanced in a century.

Lots of old things are still useful. I'm still using a 50 year old washing machine. It does the job. Our boiler is 70 years old. A lot of older stuff just never breaks, unlike much of the junk they sell nowadays.
Indeed! I seem to remember someone saying that 1960's D cells were around 3000mAh so batteries from 40 years previous would have been weaker still. Definitely worth keeping older stuff going. May nit be cool or 'on trend' but it's honest and functional as well as interesting to use.

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
This thing looks excellent. Is that 6x AA? Looks like 3. But three wouldn't need a regulator it would be under voltage
Yes 6 AA then the regulator. Bulb is marked 3.5V but it's actually nearer 3.2 as by then it's already bright enough. They used to overdrive bulbs to get a bit more impressive brightness.

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened