Always glad to help someone out with a flashlight..

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I'm on my way back from vacation now, but yesterday at the hotel in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, a lot of people were walking the beach in the dark with some puny little flashlights. I suspect they were looking for 'fresh' shells, shark teeth, etc, stuff that gets picked pretty clean during the day.

So seeing their puny lights, I figured I better help them out so I did. Lit up their path pretty well for them, gave them a good flood, etc. Also saw one guy walking in the dark trying to navigate around a water channel that comes out onto the beach, so I gave him some light to navigate by.

Not sure if they appreciated my help or not, I was on my balcony on the 12th floor with the 4D Terralux Mag. :D :crackup: :crackup:

I tried out the Nitecore DI, P2D (P4), and L0D CE (10440) too, the NDI and P2D looked pretty much the same (reasonable amount of light on the beach, but pretty floody at that distance) but the L0D with the 10440 really, um, shined. I think it put out very nearly the same amount of light on a given spot but put out a huge flood all around it too.

Then my wife dragged me in mumbling about "before someone calls security" or such. Sheesh.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What if you had a high power incan, a HID light, or at least the Dereelight DBS... That would have been even more interesting.

Imagine:

"I can hardly see anything. How am I supposed to find things with this puny light?":thinking:
(cue light:duck:)
"Wow, what the heck is that!?! I want one! Oh look a shark's teeth, And a shell!"
(the guy/gal goes home)
"CPF?:thinking: What have I been missing:huh:?":twothumbs

What were the people's reactions?

Last edited:

lengendcpf

Enlightened
I'm on my way back from vacation now, but yesterday at the hotel in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, a lot of people were walking the beach in the dark with some puny little flashlights. I suspect they were looking for 'fresh' shells, shark teeth, etc, stuff that gets picked pretty clean during the day.

So seeing their puny lights, I figured I better help them out so I did. Lit up their path pretty well for them, gave them a good flood, etc. Also saw one guy walking in the dark trying to navigate around a water channel that comes out onto the beach, so I gave him some light to navigate by.

Not sure if they appreciated my help or not, I was on my balcony on the 12th floor with the 4D Terralux Mag. :D :crackup: :crackup:

I tried out the Nitecore DI, P2D (P4), and L0D CE (10440) too, the NDI and P2D looked pretty much the same (reasonable amount of light on the beach, but pretty floody at that distance) but the L0D with the 10440 really, um, shined. I think it put out very nearly the same amount of light on a given spot but put out a huge flood all around it too.

Then my wife dragged me in mumbling about "before someone calls security" or such. Sheesh.

You are so childish...
Me too..

Khaytsus

Enlightened
What if you had a high power incan, a HID light, or at least the Dereelight DBS... That would have been even more interesting.

Imagine:

"I can hardly see anything. How am I supposed to find things with this puny light?":thinking:
(cue light:duck:)
"Wow, what the heck is that!?! I want one! Oh look a shark's teeth, And a shell!"
(the guy/gal goes home)
"CPF?:thinking: What have I been missing:huh:?":twothumbs

What were the people's reactions?

I saw them glance up my direction a few times but I suspect all they saw was something very bright pointed at them from up high. :)

BTW, I'll go ahead and mention that no, I didn't notice anyone doing anything naughty.

Illum

Flashaholic
If I live by the beach I would buy an AN/VSS and install it on my balcony for that purpose:thumbsup:

"xxxx police department"
"yeah I got flashed by a searchlight, but there was no helicopter sound"
"where is your current location sir"
"beach side at xxxx"
"uh we have no air crew servicing at the area, where exactly did the light come from?"
"right on top of me"
"uh huh":thinking:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe, sounds like fun. Isn't the LOD-CE with a 10440 just silly? I have the LOD-CE Q4 and it's crazy how much light comes out of such a small package with a 10440.

A few nights ago I was talking to my neighbor about a tree that fell down across the street, about a block away across a large parking lot. It was dark where the tree was down, so I pulled out my Regalite WT1 from my coat pocket and fired it up on high and pointed it at the tree. It was pretty dark where we were so our eyes were some what adjusted to the darkness and when that beam hit the downed tree my neighbor was like "Holy #($@!" and started to kinda run away because it was so bright he was afraid the people who lived at the house would freak out, haha. It was kinda like a search light beaming across the way. I turned it off quickly as I also was a bit surprised at how bright it was, too bright to be shining at someone's property. :)

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Hehe, sounds like fun. Isn't the LOD-CE with a 10440 just silly? I have the LOD-CE Q4 and it's crazy how much light comes out of such a small package with a 10440.

A few nights ago I was talking to my neighbor about a tree that fell down across the street, about a block away across a large parking lot. It was dark where the tree was down, so I pulled out my Regalite WT1 from my coat pocket and fired it up on high and pointed it at the tree. It was pretty dark where we were so our eyes were some what adjusted to the darkness and when that beam hit the downed tree my neighbor was like "Holy #($@!" and started to kinda run away because it was so bright he was afraid the people who lived at the house would freak out, haha. It was kinda like a search light beaming across the way. I turned it off quickly as I also was a bit surprised at how bright it was, too bright to be shining at someone's property. :)

Yep, the L0D is just an insanely strong floody light. What's funny is that people expect you to be carrying some big huge light and then you show them the teeny little L0D.

Heh, shining bright lights into someones yard with a downed tree would probably just make them think the police are there or something. :)

Illum

Flashaholic
I have yet to use an 10440 in my L0D-CE :ohgeez:
I have a tendency to forget/fall asleep after installing my cells in the cradle.
If it weren't for the safety PCB my house should've burned down many times by now :(:shakehead

bspofford

Enlightened
My well-intended neighbors have sent the police to my house a couple of times in recent months because they saw flashlights inside the house and assumed that there must be robbers. I answered the door one night with my CL1H 3SD in hand, and we had a nice little visit about current LED technology. He couldn't believe that my little light blew away his huge dinosaur.