what led/uv combo

gollum

Enlightened
Can anyone help with a quality made led/uv/laser combo
I know DX have some cheap ($5.70) ones...:candle:
are there any single cr123 uv/led combos anywhere?
and if theres nothing better then I'll settle for theUltrafire uv - WF-502 B at only $18.43.and a drop-in Q5 as mentioned.

DM51

Flashaholic
There's a difficulty with UV lights in assessing brightness/output. The problem is that true UV light is invisible to the human eye, so a UV source that is actually quite powerful may look disappointing, while a bright-looking emitter may actually be quite low in true UV content.

Another issue is the wavelength required. Different tasks require different wavelengths. Members' requirements have been for various widely differing tasks such as checking banknotes or finding pet urine stains etc. I'll leave other members who know more about UV wavelength characteristics to comment on these if that is appropriate to the topic.

I don't recall any LEO input on forensic requirements, but it would be interesting to hear from an expert, either here if it is on topic with the OP's requirement, or maybe in a separate thread.

Disaster

Newly Enlightened
Definitely check into what your wavelength requirements might be. Some produce lights with several LED's that each have different wavelengths to cover a wider spectrum.

I've tried some less expensive multiple LED UV's and fluorescent UV's and both had very poor throw. They had to be held within inches of the item to work decently. They might be the perfect ticket if you are checking currency, but not so good if you are spotlighting around a room for organic matter. I now use a single 1W LED emitter in a WF-502B which has decent throw.

Viper715

Enlightened
I have a Nitecore D10 with a UV emitter it has very nice throw it is in the 400nm range. It works well for me but YMMV.