1kW Xenon Arc Tank Light

Weavie

Newly Enlightened
George,

Thanks for the quick response! The crate does have cables but I have not made it up to my dads to see how many or if they will even hook up.
If by (slim) chance they hook up, I might test it with a series of truck batteries. I read on here that it ruins the batteries, but a quick test should be ok.
Before I do test it though, I wonder if you could walk me through the control panel, cool down, ect... I would hate to break it on my first lighting.

Thanks again, Ralph

That is one tough looking vehicle!

NITE LITE

Newly Enlightened
Ralph
In the one crate that I opened so far everything was still sealed in the original packaging. there was even a technical manual. You may have one in there as well it should be:
TM 11-5855-217-12-1
for the an/vss-3A FSN 5855-405-0404
I strongly recommend you find a copy of it for your records and to keep with the unit. It covers everything the military thought important , from the maintenance to repair parts and even destruction of the unit.
You may be able to do a search by the TM # or the FSN # and find it in PDF format. If you can't I can scan the start up pages and email them to you. Send me a PM with your email addy.

The units have a built in cooling fan that should run as soon as the light is switched on in either IR or visible light settings. If you don't hear it turn on when you fire up the light something is wrong and I would recommend you shut it down .

Normal start up once power is supplied to the control box:
the "Circuit Test " switch should be set to "Operating Position" #1
Set the "Remote / Local switch to local
switch the "Power switch" to infrared or visible
Note: you will have to pull out on the power switch to get it to switch up past the IR setting.

When the unit is powered up in either IR or Visible light the fan should run.
The "Lamp on" light on the control panel should light and the over temp light should be out. Keep checking the over temp light after 1 min of operation.
The Beam switch can be in either setting:
When in the down position it will concentrate the beam to a very narrow beam of approx. 1 degree.
When switched up you can focus the beam by pushing sideways on the toggle. from 1-7 degrees

Shut down:
Return the "Beam" switch to the compact setting
Set the power switch to the Off position.
If the blower motor is still running leave the power cord connected to the light untill such time as it shuts off by itself.

I never ran mine for more than 30 mins. at a time . I never had any cooling issues. However I was told by another fellow board member that it is possible that the fan may need to run after shut down to cool off the unit after extended run times. If the fan is still running after the light has been shut down DO NOT REMOVE power from the unit . Switch the light to the off position but if you hear the fan still running let the fan keep running to cool down the bulb and unit before you unplug the power cord or disconnect the power to the control box. The bulbs can explode under some conditions.

There is a smaller contol box that was part of the system. It was located up near the tank commanders seat in the copula. It isn't required to make the light function it was basically just a wired remote control for the on/off, and beam focus controls.

Extreme caution must be given when operating this thing due to the huge amount of light output. Make sure that you never look directly into it on either setting or shine it at anyone . Severe eye damage and blindness can occur at ranges under 320 meters. And flash blindness can occure in excess of 320 meters.
Also be carfull not to point it in any way that could effect air traffic.

Thats about all I can think of.
I know I was nervous when I fired mine up for the first time.
That's ok it's a healthy feeling to have with one of these things , they are unique and require respect.

I'm a relative nooby with them so you may ask some of the others from this board that have more experience for there input they were most helpfull to me.

Good luck
Keep us posted

Nite Lite

Weavie

Newly Enlightened
George,

Once again, thank you!
I am going to my fathers tomorrow to clean it up and get some pics. I am pretty sure there is some type of manual with it. I will post the pics tomorrow night. This unit is loose in the crate, and very dusty. If everything goes well I plan on going up next Sunday and fire it up.
Thank you,

Ralph

NITE LITE

Newly Enlightened
Ralph
Sounds like we may have another one up and running soon.
Best of luck .If the cables are there you will be way ahead of the game.

NL

Weavie

Newly Enlightened
NL,

Looks like I have everything needed for a test run. It has an 18" cable that connects the control box to the light. It also has two single cables that connect the control box to the power source. It has a vehicle mount, manual, and remote.

It is used, the hour meter says (13.9).

I have pictures of everything but it seems I need a website to post pics on here?

Is there another way to import my pictures to this post?

Weavie

dclancy

Newly Enlightened
I love this thread. I need to buy or rent one of these for a party in Cabo next month. Does anybody want to rent one?
Thanks.

Jazz

Newly Enlightened
NL,
I have pictures of everything but it seems I need a website to post pics on here?

Is there another way to import my pictures to this post?

Weavie

You can upload/host them on Imageshack, Photobucket or Flickr and then you link them back into your post.

Weavie

Newly Enlightened
Jazz,

Thanks for the info about the pics. I am going to attempt it, but I might have to con one of my teenagers into helping me figure it out.

Dclancy,

If this thing works, take me with you to Cabo and I will bring it along.

Weavie

Weavie

Newly Enlightened
Having problems.
Hooked the light up last night but it failed to produce a steady beam. The fan works fine but the beam would pulse or strobe about 7 or 8 times then you would here a click in the control panel and it would quit pulsing. The pulsing beam was very bright.
Anyone ever have this problem?

Weavie

NITE LITE

Newly Enlightened
Hey Weavie

Tell us about your power source and your connections.
Is there any sign of corrosion or dirty contacts /pins .

These little buggers draw about 60 amps at 24 volts.

Your unit looks a bit different then mine. Mine is completely square and yours looks to have clipped corners on the top. However I think this is just the difference in the A and B model

Did you check the fuses?
Also is your test switch in the #1 (12:00 position)

The pulsing is a bit odd it could be that it is trying to start the arc and not getting enough power.According to my TM it may not light if voltage drops below 22 volts. Make sure you have 2 good battery's fully charged and your connections are all tight.

Do you have the TM for your light.
There is a table of test you can do using the Circuit test switch and the circuit test light to help isolate a possible problem

NL

Weavie

Newly Enlightened
NL

My one friend has a boat that uses a 24 volt system. We actually set the light on the boat and hooked it up with the two thin leads I found in the crate. (pics above in post #312) We tested the voltage going into the light at 27.7. When we turned the light on the meter went crazy.

I have the original TM and I will see if I can find someone to help me run the tests with a little more knowledge than I have about electricity. I did not check the fuses but I will before the next test.

Thanks for your help, I will give it another try this weekend.

Weavie

NITE LITE

Newly Enlightened
Weavie
Remember this sucker needs alot of amps.
So your batteries need to be able to put out north of 600 CCA (cold crank amps) In order to be able to keep the voltage and amperage steady your going to need to get some big wire to use between your power supply and the control box. Try and keep them as short as possible to help cut down on voltage drop. When you voltage drops your current draw or amps will spike. If you had to you might be able to use a set of good heavy jumper cables in a pinch.
I went to a welding supply shop and bought some #1 or #2 ground cable to make my power cord with.

NL

BVH

Flashaholic
Just as battery cable pales in comparison to welding cable in "strand count/cross section fill", so too, does welding cable pale in comparison to Carrol brand Vutron cable available from McMasterCarr. I used Vutron #1 to run my VSS-1. When you cut this cable, the strands are so fine, they feels soft in your hands.

I used 4 each (in 2S, 2P) UBC 110 Amp, deep cycle AGM batteries for a total rating of 220 Amps to run my rig. I got about 50 to 55 minutes of run time down to 60% depth of discharge Voltage. IIRC, running AMP consumption was in the high 80's, low 90's. So imaging what starting Amps are - 2.5 to 3 times that figure.

NITE LITE

Newly Enlightened
Weavie
Any progress reports.
I haven't checked in here in quite awhile.
I've used my light a few times out in the desert mounted up on the HMMWV. problem is I want to go out from camp aways and see what it looks like but haven't been able to do that I'm afraid to leave the light on an unattended .
I was thinking of selling one of them but now might donate it to a museum near me to mount back on a M551 Sheradin were it belongs.

I'll check back soon
GW

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weavie
Any progress reports.
I haven't checked in here in quite awhile.
I've used my light a few times out in the desert mounted up on the HMMWV. problem is I want to go out from camp aways and see what it looks like but haven't been able to do that I'm afraid to leave the light on an unattended .
I was thinking of selling one of them but now might donate it to a museum near me to mount back on a M551 Sheradin were it belongs.

I'll check back soon
GW

i'd be very interested in 1!