1x 14500 to 2x AA (3.7 to 3v) adaptor

vmaldia

Newly Enlightened
1x 14500 to 2x AA (3.7 to 3v) adaptor. Does such a thing exist?

A 14500 battery is nominally rated to give 3.7v or a bit more and 2x AA is rated at 3v.

I'm thinking of a dummy AA sized tube with some sort of voltage lowering device. A diode or something. So you can use one of those devices and one 14500 battery safely in a device which uses 2xAA. Such as a flashlight with the 14500 and the device end to end or say an old digital camera where they are reversed and side to side

vmaldia

Newly Enlightened
Well the reason I was thinking of this is because my old canon digital camera is kinda sensitive to voltage. Even eneloop nimh batteries once they are a few months old get very decreased capacity. Maybe only 20 shots with flash when before it would go much longer. I assume that the voltage drops below a certain level and the camera is programmed to consider that as low batt. The supposedly low batt batteries work fine in say a LED flashlight

I'm hoping that this would make the camera last longer.

I'm not sure if giving the camera the full 3.7v would kill it

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It isn't so much 3.7V but 4.2V when fully charged. I know that many cameras have no problem with L91's which will have a voltage of 3.6V in a 2xAA configuration fresh out of a packet.

There is a few options, NiZn is one. Or check out the kentli AA review in this forum. Or get some elite 2000 NiMH. They hold their voltage under load better than an eneloop.

Oh any yes, you can get a dummy aa cell

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to use Li-Ion, it would be best to use LiFePO4 with a dummy cell. This battery produces 3.6V hot off the charger, rapidly dropping to a very stable 3.2V where it stays until the battery is drained. One LiFePO4 is about the same as two NiZn.