1xCR123A/RCR Round-up Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & more!

paintballdad

Enlightened
selfbuilt & MattK, thanks for the input. I did consider some of the lights you suggested but they are a bit larger than the lights in my list. But the list might be a tad small if I stay with my parameters:thumbsdow. I might just go ahead and put them back on the list and forego with getting a 2x123 light for the thrower.
Any advantages/disadvantages to a 2x123 for a thrower other than runtime? I'm not looking for a dedicated hi power thrower, just something with a little more reach for camping purposes. Thanks again. My wife won't be happy with another new hobby.:broke:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Any advantages/disadvantages to a 2x123 for a thrower other than runtime? I'm not looking for a dedicated hi power thrower, just something with a little more reach for camping purposes.
Although not in the class of dedicated throwers (e.g. Tiablo A9, Lumapower MRV, Dereelight DBS, Raidfire Spear, etc.) - most of the 2xCR123A lights with larger heads have pretty decent throw (e.g. Olight M20, Fenix TK11, ITP C6, JetBeam Jet-III, etc). These certainly throw better than the lights with smaller relfectors/heads (like most the 1xCR123A class).

But the 1xCR123A Jet-II is a particular standout, as it is pretty close to a lot of the 2x lights. In that case, the main difference is indeed runtime vs size/weight.

paintballdad

Enlightened
selfbuilt, sorry to keep bugging but i've come to respect your opinion for the short time i've been here. What are your impressions of Lumapower's F1 flashlight. Might be the ticket for an easy to use purse light for the wifey. Looks cool enought that I might want one for myself. Thanks

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
What are your impressions of Lumapower's F1 flashlight. Might be the ticket for an easy to use purse light for the wifey. Looks cool enought that I might want one for myself. Thanks
I don't have one, but it is rather out of date technology (i.e. earlier generation of single-stage lights). I generally recommend multi-stage lights with a good low mode and long runtime, in case of emergencies. Something like the Lumapower Connexion might do (currently on sale with a bunch of dealers, since new version coming out soon), or the classic Fenix L1D/L1T (also on sale at fenix-store.com as part of their fire sale clearout - see 4sevens dealer thread on CPFMP).

But personally, I tend to recommend the 1xAAA form factor for women (I find they are more likely to carry it, while 1xAA can be left out when the purse gets heavy ;)). The Fenix L0D is real stand out in that category. Great to match with Energizer e2 lithium battery for longest runtime.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just updated the main post with results from the Eagletac P10C and Olight T10 (2008 edition). :)

Note that I haven't done a stand-alone review of the Olight T10 yet - I plan to do a Olight round-up with the T20 and T25 soon (supplied by MattK of batteryjunction.com). But as you can see here, they've done a good job on their efficient current-controlled circuit (i.e. unlike Fenix, Olight manages to keep defined regulated output levels on RCR). And the strobe/sos modes are tucked away on soft-press so that you don't have to see them. A serious contender in the general purpose category.

Last edited:

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
Re: Any news for us on the PD20 & 30 ?

Sure hope 4sevens sent you a PD20 sample, selfbuilt. Anxious to read your take on the beam, runtime, grip... Hmm I guess that is a hint to do a review :poke:

Thanks for all your great work !

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Sure hope 4sevens sent you a PD20 sample, selfbuilt. Anxious to read your take on the beam, runtime, grip... Hmm I guess that is a hint to do a review :poke:
Actually, I just received the LD10 I bought (uses the same head as the PD20 and LD20). Since the new heads are compatible with older LxD and P2D bodies, you'll start to see that head enter into the runtime charts of my reviews soon. Not sure when I will get the time to do complete runtimes on it with all batteries (lots of other lights on hand to test). :)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Thank You VERY much for the reviews! As I said in another thread I know how time consuming reviewing is and I could never find the time!

I can't see anything knocking the P2D CE Q5 off my belt.....

But I think I shall try for an Incendio before too long so maybe I can trade off on alternate days!

parkschr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great reviews. I truly appreciate what you do. By the way, I did not see any lux readings on the c2h. Did I miss something? I was hoping to compare my C2H with the other 123 lights you tested.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the great reviews. I truly appreciate what you do. By the way, I did not see any lux readings on the c2h. Did I miss something? I was hoping to compare my C2H with the other 123 lights you tested.
That review is still pending. I had circuit issues with my sample, and am waiting on a replacement pill from Alan. I don't plan to post any results for this light until I can retest with a new sample.

Bullwinkle

Newly Enlightened
Although not in the class of dedicated throwers (e.g. Tiablo A9, Lumapower MRV, Dereelight DBS, Raidfire Spear, etc.) - most of the 2xCR123A lights with larger heads have pretty decent throw (e.g. Olight M20, Fenix TK11, ITP C6, JetBeam Jet-III, etc). These certainly throw better than the lights with smaller relfectors/heads (like most the 1xCR123A class).

But the 1xCR123A Jet-II is a particular standout, as it is pretty close to a lot of the 2x lights. In that case, the main difference is indeed runtime vs size/weight.

I like the Nitecore extreme for a 1xCR123A light. It has really good throw an d decent spill. Currently my edc

hamheart

Enlightened
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
That review is still pending. I had circuit issues with my sample, and am waiting on a replacement pill from Alan. I don't plan to post any results for this light until I can retest with a new sample.

Any love from Alan? :duh2:

The C2H light deserves full consideration with this group, especially since it's the only one available with 5A Q3 neutral-tint emitter. :huh: