VERY CHEAP Aspherical

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
55m Dia 38.5mm FL
not optimal but it does work pretty well, and my malkoff is seoul instead of cree, it focuses good so you can see the die but i think the size is pretty big ..at 10feet its 5 inches at 20ft its 11 inches even if i put the fenix to it it will project the die at same size...but all in all $10 for lens and $3 for bezel i ordered 2 of each incase it turned out spectacular i have a backup

lens just sits on top of stock bezel and held in place by anti roll bezel

thinking of getting the MG lens now

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/6030/aspmo9.jpg

OVER SIZED IMAGE REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont have a quality cam just a cheapie webcam...and i tried but the beam kept getting washed out by too much light i could never capture the die even at max dark setting this cam has ...i know :sick2: i should be penalized :crackup:

well anyway i went ahead and ordered the 52mm 37mm MG lens which seems best for the mag , i think this lens is projecting too big and therefore wont make the light as intense as it could be

useless beamshot..red square is die

Al Combs

Enlightened
55m Dia 38.5mm FL
not optimal but it does work pretty well, and my malkoff is seoul instead of cree, it focuses good so you can see the die but i think the size is pretty big ..at 10feet its 5 inches at 20ft its 11 inches even if i put the fenix to it it will project the die at same size...but all in all $10 for lens and $3 for bezel i ordered 2 of each incase it turned out spectacular i have a backup

lens just sits on top of stock bezel and held in place by anti roll bezel

thinking of getting the MG lens now

So where did you get your $10 lens from? The last thumbnail in your collage, what is that a picture of? It looks almost like a McGizmo reflector sitting next to your aspheric lens.

I never used the C-D anti-roll device. Does it hold the lens in place securely without the need to use glue? The one I had for my MiniMag used to fall off all the time. Eventually I lost it. I guess they get stretched out over time. As long as it doesn't fall off while you're walking along, I think you're on to something. The rubber thing is better than having to Dremel the glass down with a diamond bit to make it fit.

When you say, "i think the size is pretty big ..", are you talking about the size of the lens, or the size of the LED's projected image? If you mean the image is too large, the Melles Griot lens 01LAG123 with its 37mm focal length would project an even larger image than your 38.5mm fl lens does. With the 38.5mm fl lens projecting an 11" die image size @ 20' as a given, the Melles Griot 01LAG123 would give an 11.44" image. Did you have any trouble focusing with the lens being shifted so far forward?

When I was browsing the Melles Griot web page, I noticed under downloads for that item, a pdf from their catalog of other similar aspherics. While 01LAG123 has a 52mm diam and 37mm fl, part number 01LAG125 has a 50mm diam and a 38.5mm fl. It doesn't need to be Dremeled down to fit a MagLite. It has a back focal length 2.4mm greater than 01LAG123. But if you can mount an aspheric on the front of the bezel, that shouldn't be a problem. I'm wondering if the only reason 01LAG123 is so popular is because Surplus Shed was selling them for 8 bucks before they ran out. Either 01LAG125 or 01LAG013 with their 50mm diam seems like a better choice for a Mag-Aspheric.

Thanks for sharing.:D

Al Combs

Enlightened
Oops, I went away and ate lunch in the middle of my post. I didn't realized you had already posted buying 01LAG123, my bad.:sick2:

As far as your beamshots, have you tried a pinhole in some aluminum foil? Then just wrap it around your webcam. Maybe put a pair of sun glasses on the thing temporarily.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i saw the anti roll used here and was skeptical at first but i figure its so cheap might as well try....and it really does hold it securely and tight NO GLUE just slide it on and its tight..i got the 55m from surplusshed and i just ordered 52-37 from cvi/Melles Griot

the size im talking about is the projected die image ..i thought that people were getting like 8-11 inches at 32 feet ....at 32 feet i would imagine mine be well over that as im already at 11 at 20feet

as for focusing i had no issues as the malkoff itself is height adjustable

and reflector is kai mop

Last edited:

Al Combs

Enlightened
i saw the anti roll used here and was skeptical at first but i figure its so cheap might as well try....and it really does hold it securely and tight NO GLUE just slide it on and its tight..i got the 55m from surplusshed and i just ordered 52-37 from cvi/Melles Griot

the size im talking about is the projected die image ..i thought that people were getting like 8-11 inches at 32 feet ....at 32 feet i would imagine mine be well over that as im already at 11 at 20feet

as for focusing i had no issues as the malkoff itself is height adjustable

and reflector is kai mop

I don't actually own any SSC-P4 lights. It's possible the SSC die is larger than the Cree XR-E emitter. Or that the lambertian "lens" covering the emitter is of a different focal length. That would explain the increase in image size. Got a link to the, "8-11 inches at 32 feet ...." expectation?

I like the idea of using a reflector with an aspheric. Most of the links I've read on aspheric Mag's say it's superfluous. But I say if the aspheric focuses the old spill into the new hotspot, then why not make the old hotspot into spill? Think about it... What doesn't hit the aspheric is just absorbed by the black Mag guts. Granted the shape of the reflector won't work as originally expected, but why not?

I don't think you will be able to fit a Kai reflector AND an aspheric under the same bezel. The grinding thing was an issue when trying to make the lens fit INSIDE the reflector housing. That won't be an issue in your case. Please keep us posted.:popcorn:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think i may have read too quickly but i saw 8/32 here but its for deft

also lumenhounds pic may have thrown me off as his die is very small but no distance was mentioned besides 10meter which is 32feet

but i then saw this and this is what mine is like .....4 inches at 6 feet

my seoul beam is exactly like this one made by mac

the reflector does not look good when installed and also wont go down all the way as the bottom of reflector hits the malkoff, but reflector out and it will screw down plenty

Last edited: