EagleTac P10A2 Review and pic

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagleTac P10A2

EagleTac is kind of the New Kid on the Block flashlight manufacturer that is somewhat taking the flashlight community by surprise. They currently offer a lineup of lights utilizing your choice of 1 or 2 cells in either AA or CR123A format. There's even an 18650 version. The P10A2 is their 2xAA light sporting a narrower, presumably more general use head.

Meat and Potatoes
When I first received the EagleTac, I have to admit I was somewhat skeptical. While I cannot state outright that the aesthetics of the light are an exact copy of any one thing in particular, it definitely bears a striking resemblance to several other brands on the market currently.
Where this light sets itself apart from those whence it borrowed it's design cues, is that it bucks the trend of increasingly complex user interfaces and massive amounts of outputs in favor of better establishing itself as a general use tool, skipping the extreme lows or questionable usefulness strobing modes. The P10A2 has 2 levels and 2 levels only. There is the "Lo" mode claiming 60 lumens and the "Hi" searing forth a supposed 220 lumens.
I immediately dropped a fresh pair of store branded AA alkaline cells into the light (the only AA cells I had available) and proceeded to drop my jaw in amazement. The output from this little beast clearly rivals the brightest of my current lights.
Switching then to the low level, I found myself equally impressed for the 60 lumen output does not register to the eyes nearly as dramatic a drop as the numerical values would indicate. This is due mostly to the logarithmic perceptions of the human eye. What this translates to is the light maintains a very useful output for general purpose lighting while bolstering the runtime to copious lengths. More than you would expect from this form factor, allowing you to save the high mode for those times when you desperately need to turn off the dark and can allow the battery life to become a secondary concern. EagleTac claims an 8 hour battery life in low mode and I am inclined to believe them, at least with NiMH rechargeable batteries.
Another area of note on this item is the quality of the machining. From stem to stern, nary a rough edge can be found. The threads are smooth and solid feeling and the stainless steel bezel is a beautiful touch that is tastefully done. The anodizing is smooth and uniform and appears quite durable. I cannot tell yet how well it will hold up against the tests of time and use, but I can and will say that I intend to find out.

Constructive Criticism
Often times people express concern as to whether the LED is perfectly centered in the reflector of a particular light. This light has that end covered quite adequately however it does have a very surprising occurrence. The switch is not perfectly centered in the tailcap. It appears that the hole drilled through the end of the light is actually canted off the bulls-eye slightly giving the switch a very cam-like appearance. Since I only have one unit to scrutinize, I am not certain whether this is a design flaw through the entire run, a short term manufacturing concern, or merely a single unit fluke. What it does bespeak however is the fact that no matter how good your process is, you can never let your guard down for an instant when reviewing the quality of your widgets.
In an attempt to be all things for all people, EagleTac includes in the package 3 flashlight retaining methods to provide other options than just the trusty pocket. The secondary methods proposed are a fairly high quality holster, a removable spring tension belt clip and a breakaway wrist lanyard. Both the holster and the clip are well implemented, however the lanyard really feels like an afterthought. The holes that were drilled for the attachment points are far too small to be useful and really appear ineffective. It is interesting to note that the holster has been designed such that it can be used simultaneously with the pocket clip, however I believe most users will choose one or the other as it proves to be more effort than I feel is necessary to use them in conjuncture.
This light has been designed with the ability to tailstand to provide hands free lighting. I believe however that the tailcap leaves a little to be desired in this area. The contact patch designed to rest on a flat surface is quite narrow and has been further reduced by slight scalloping to allow for easier access to the switch. This leaves the light wobbly and unstable at best and more often than not, leaves it laying on it's side. I feel that this is another area that EagleTac should pick one thing or another and do it well, rather than trying for everything at once.

Conclusions
When all has been said, my opinions of this torch are extremely high indeed. It has surprised me from the moment I removed it from it's packaging. Suffice it to say that all of my initial trepidation has been laid to rest and that I am extremely pleased with the outcome. This feels, looks, and acts like a quality light in a much higher price bracket. If EagleTac pushes itself to not be drawn into the desire to be everything for everyone, it stands to really make a name for itself. This light may not be ideal for tiptoeing down to check the thermostat in the middle of the night or peeking in on the baby, but for it's intended purpose it is a quality tool that I am not afraid to use.

main.php

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome review.
I was and remain a commited Surefire person but the specs of this lite (180 de facto lumens on 2xAA) cannot be resisted.

Definitely my next purchase. Soon.

roymail

Enlightened
Good review, Aardvark. If it will do 150-180lm on the top end and 50-60lm on the bottom, considering it's quality build, reasonable cost and very good regulated runtime, that's enough to sell me. :D

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review :)

Here's some supplementary information - according to the only IS database I know of (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211402), it actually does put out 182 lumens. Unfortunately a bit below advertised output, but still significantly more than the other 2xAA light in that database, the Fenix L2D Q5.

It has been clarified that the vendor's "claimed" lumens is at the emitter, not out the front. The 182 out the front lumens I measured is not contradictory to 220 lumens capable at the emitter. We have all gone round and round in other threads about how vendor's claim their lumens, at least they say in small print it is at the emitter, and it is the highest real output factory 2AA light that I have seen or know about. Since it has the low mode for when you don't want to burn up all that power, and from what else I have seen, or read on this light, definitely on my recommend list.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my P10A2 and T10C2. WHat excellent lights! The P10 is as powerful and many of my normal 2 123 cell lights. The T10 is OMG strong. What is so good to me is the very bright spill and the way the hot spot blends into the spill. They don't have a sharply defined hot spot..then a dark area then spill, like some strong Leds. THe hot spot is blended into the spill...and the spill area is evenly bright..very much so with the T10. Both lights are almost the same on the low 60 lumen level, and it is a very nice amount of light.
Give both a 5 star rating.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aardvark, you've got a real nice and helpful website. Good job, man! I want to encourage others to stop by for a visit.
Thanks, I really appreciate the compliment. I'm just doing my best to provide a useful resource for people while using my writing talents (meager as they are) and my love for flashlights to do so.

oronocova

Enlightened
That is a really nice website with useful information. Since you have reviewed the light already I'll ask this... Do you think the P10A2 would fit in holsters designed for a MiniMag AA light? Specifically the ones that the body slides through a loop and the light is held in by the head against the loop (since the head diameter is larger than the body diameter) I was trying to come up with a combination of tool-pouch / light and it seems as if a lot of the more popular tool pouches are designed around the mini-mag. (Nite-Ize, CRC, etc...)

Thanks!

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the head of the P10A2 is almost identical in diameter to the MiniMag so that portion won't be a problem, however the body of the light isn't really all that much smaller over a large portion of it. Pretty significantly larger diameter than a minimag (I'm holding both in front of me at the moment). If you could manage to fit the body into whatever holster loop you are trying, I'm not entirely certain you would have enough of a difference in the transition to the head of the light to hold it in place without it slipping through. My best recommendation is probably just to use the holster that it comes with next to your tool pouch. It is fairly high quality and rather unobtrusive. My only complaint is that it is made for larger width belts than I generally wear and therfor slips around a little vertically. I think I can probably fix that with a little ingenuity however.

snakyjake

Enlightened
Do you think the 60 lumens is too high for a casually walking at night?

For example, I have Fenix P3D that I use on low (~12-15 lumens) to walk around the campground. I like the low mode because it allows me just enough to see my walk, but the brightness doesn't draw a lot of attention from fellow campers.

Same with around the house. I use the P3D low mode so I don't wake the wife up when she's sleeping. 60 lumens might be too bright, and the forbidding 220 is way too bright.

I like the idea of having the 220 for the occasions that lots of light is needed. However, the <42 minutes may not be long enough. And I'll be real, I never have 100% charged battery all the time. So I'm always walking around with a light that's has less than 42 minutes. So I'd like to conserve as much as I can by using the low.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that the 60 lumens would be about right for a walk through the woods where you want to use it full time, but only when you don't have other people around that could be disturbed by the light. It is quite bright and your night vision is going to take a hit by it. It will show everything when you are using it, but when you turn it off, you'll have to wait a minute to see well. The P10A2 uses 2xAA though and has a bit longer runtime than only 42 minutes on High. Closer to an hour and a half.

This light might not be perfect for nighttime skulking through the woods trying to be discreet, but it was excellent to have on my when I was changing my tire last night. 60 is perfect for that.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think the 60 lumens is too high for a casually walking at night?

For example, I have Fenix P3D that I use on low (~12-15 lumens) to walk around the campground. I like the low mode because it allows me just enough to see my walk, but the brightness doesn't draw a lot of attention from fellow campers.

Same with around the house. I use the P3D low mode so I don't wake the wife up when she's sleeping. 60 lumens might be too bright, and the forbidding 220 is way too bright.

I like the idea of having the 220 for the occasions that lots of light is needed. However, the <42 minutes may not be long enough. And I'll be real, I never have 100% charged battery all the time. So I'm always walking around with a light that's has less than 42 minutes. So I'd like to conserve as much as I can by using the low.
I have an EagleTac T10C2 and I think its 60 lumens on "low" mode is just GREAT for walking. You need to bear in mind that EagleTac has a different type of reflector, and much of its raw power goes to spill. It's not concentrated on a small spot that just reflects back to your eyes blinding you.
It's a perfect combination of throw and HUGE spill. Everything is lit in front of you, no spot on the terrain around is missed. You need to use one to realize how amazing it really is... EagleTac is truly above its competitors. I am impressed!

roymail

Enlightened
snakyjake, I'm pretty certain that 60 lumens (probably a less) would be OK for walking and not disturbing others as long as you keep it pointed down toward the ground around you and not use it for scanning the camp grounds.

Melven

Newly Enlightened
Where is the best place to purchase one of these from?

Last edited: