Some anti-droop tech outside of Lumileds

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I read this right they are trying so squeeze more efficiency of an "over driven" led? So the input vs output curve is more linear.
I dunno though, Samsung... Maybe their intentions are geared towards DLP tv sets?
Still maybe this can benefit us somehow.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I read this right they are trying so squeeze more efficiency of an "over driven" led? So the input vs output curve is more linear.
I dunno though, Samsung... Maybe their intentions are geared towards DLP tv sets?
Still maybe this can benefit us somehow.
Yes they are trying to increase efficiency at higher current. This is hardly something that is geared at TV sets. This is the next big problem that needs to be solved with LEDs and whoever does figure it out will be raking in the dough. It will help almost any application that uses LEDs currently. Companies will be able to reduce the amount of LEDs it takes to reach a given output while retaining efficiency. This will lead to more affordable LED products for the consumer and speed adoption of LED based lighting fixtures due to the reduced cost. It will also allow us flashlight junkies to do some serious over-driving while having unbelievable output.:naughty: Man I can't wait!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
This is the next big problem that needs to be solved with LEDs and whoever does figure it out will be raking in the dough. It will help almost any application that uses LEDs currently.
Yep, and more than many think. Consider that the best binned Crees and also the Rebel 100s get 150 lm/W right now. No, not a typo-they really do. But they do so only when driven at about 20 mA. Over 20 mA is really where the droop starts. If a Cree R2 could maintain its low current efficiency all the way to 1 amp it would output about 550 lumens, or twice what it does now. The 150 lm/W LEDs are already here but we need to find out why they lose efficiency at higher currents, and prevent it.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What they're doing is actively configuring the the layers to help the quasi-quantum-tunneling that occurs and results in more emitted photons per current level. Think of a wet bucket of sand for instance, and how water (current) pools up or gets concentrated in certain areas. Obviously you want electron/current propogation to be as uniform as possible in the LED or energy simply gets wasted.

This is the direction I'm predicting improved LED technology to be going, and it's only going to get better as long as R&D gets put into it. Improved nano technology will dramatically help as well.

The only problem is it won't help if it costs too much money to fab the improved chips. Even if they are significantly more efficient, if they cost a lot more then you might as well use more but cheaper LEDs. It's one thing to have a technological breakthrough, but then you have to apply it reasonably to the production floor to utilize it. That's often where the genius is.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
What they're doing is actively configuring the the layers to help the quasi-quantum-tunneling that occurs and results in more emitted photons per current level. Think of a wet bucket of sand for instance, and how water (current) pools up or gets concentrated in certain areas. Obviously you want electron/current propogation to be as uniform as possible in the LED or energy simply gets wasted.

This is the direction I'm predicting improved LED technology to be going, and it's only going to get better as long as R&D gets put into it. Improved nano technology will dramatically help as well.

The only problem is it won't help if it costs too much money to fab the improved chips. Even if they are significantly more efficient, if they cost a lot more then you might as well use more but cheaper LEDs. It's one thing to have a technological breakthrough, but then you have to apply it reasonably to the production floor to utilize it. That's often where the genius is.
A lot of cheaper LEDs would be a more prudent approach if you're trying to use LEDs for flood, or dispersed lighting. For throw however, some might be willing to pay a higher price to get higher surface brightness (what you'd end up with if your LED did not "droop" at high currents) at the same efficiency.