Disappointing XHP70 performance - anti-collision strobe

Arctic6

Newly Enlightened
Hello All.
recently purchased this product. An anti collision strobe featuring 4 x XHP70 in series (specs state 8000lm 80w and 6500k).
...Pretty underwhelmed with its performance though.

Its nicely packaged for my application, chunk of billet aluminium for the body and whole thing potted in epoxy but I really want more Jam out of it.
power wise I have a 70w coil which charges a 7ah lead acid battery so I should have lots of power to spare considering this thing has such a low duty cycle (flash,flash,pause.) think aircraft strobe flash pattern. I have opened up the electronics box attached, not sure what to comment about it, the size of a buck/boost converter going to some capacitors.

I am not worried about lifespan (well, 100hr would be nice) or cost or heat- everything below fire is acceptable

My question is: what can I do on the input side of things to really supercharge this light?
crank the voltage going to it?
some big capacitors?

Thanks!

4xcree.PNG

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats not an xhp-70.
a real one has 4 dies that fill the whole dome area.
the star is meant for one but thats not whats on it.
i dont know what that led is.
some cheap clone like something from latticbright maybe?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

Arctic6

Newly Enlightened
Thats really interesting. Thanks for the input. Didn't even cross my mind that the diodes might be bootlegged....
So if you were to build something similar, how would you go about it?

The emitter end of things is basic hardware, I can handle that. How to drive it though? 4x xhp 70 running a brief, flash, flash, pause sequence...

What sort of visibility distance would you expect from actual brand name xhp 70's?

The other thing is the lack of an optic. Been a long time since I look at stuff like this, but I am almost certain there should be an optic to concentrate most of the light in about a +/- 20 degree or +/- 30 degree cone, not the +/- 70 degree it will be close to right now. Could always have both.