22 year old AA batteries still working

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
If i remember correctly, "General Purpose" cells are carbon-zinc and "Heavy Duty" cells are zinc-chloride. And i do remember the "battery of the month club" from that certain "shack", i used to have my dad take me so i can get my freeee battery.

Ahh the good old days.....there used to be a coupon a few times per year in the sunday paper flyer for a 4 D cell (if I remember correctly) flashlight free give away, my neighbor still has one!!!! (Dunno if it works tho), but lately the shack has been a BIG let down for me. I often stop in at my local store and check for clearance items. I came across a NOAA WX and All Hazards S.A.M.E. hand held radio that used to be $50+ and was on clearance for $19. BUT it was missing the battery cover, therefore negating the water resistance factor, AND the was battery leakage on the contacts. I was amazed how carelessly they maintained their stock. I used to run a shack-store many years ago and I never let that happen, oh well, kids these days!!! :ohgeez:

Magic Matt

Enlightened
My experiences tell me that most modern equipment is produced to fail. Whether it's big name brands or cheap equipment, it just doesn't last. Case in point, I have a Toshiba Radio-Cassette system that is extremely old (by which I mean used to belong to Nan and is at least 35 years old, and well used) - it works flawlessly, has been taken camping, toured around in the boot of the car etc. - so old it takes 8 D-cells to run it. The extremely expensive JVC radio-cassette-CD I had lasted 2 years then buttons just stopped working, and that had never left the bedroom it stayed in.

This is why now it takes me ages to decide to spend money on equipment - I have to look at things as if they'll have a 2-3 year life span, and if they last longer I'm doing well. Hence why I'm very nervous of spending out on the torches I've seen and like the look of. The old and outdated torch that Dad had from the 70s still works... and that was one from Shell garage (gas station)... will a TK40 still be working fine in 2050? I would say that would be a resounding no.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
There used to be a coupon a few times per year in the sunday paper flyer for a 4 D cell (if I remember correctly) flashlight free give away...

Ahh, yes, the grey 5D cell with red bezel, all in sturdy, attractive 100% plastic. My camp counselor always absconded with mine to use during his nightly sweep of the grounds. Also was way ahead of it's time, in that it had a safety lockout device... it wouldn't turn on until you whacked it against something.:twak:

Pookie

Newly Enlightened
I believe… I got 29 years old original batteries in my first Sharp calculator (at high school). They were made by Sharp and they still work…

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
......Also was way ahead of it's time, in that it had a safety lockout device... it wouldn't turn on until you whacked it against something.:twak:

You're referring to the old fashioned, pre Mag-Lite era, "shake lights". :hairpull:

Dave

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Well, you have me beat at least in terms of how old the cells are, although I definitely have you beat in terms of total runtime. :nana: I have a Fuji 7300 AA dated 10/01/93 in a Radio Shack indoor/outdoor thermometer. Working continuously for 16 years, 3 months, and 21 days so far, with no signs of quitting any time soon. The LCD display looks a little faded out, but I'll guess this cell probably has a few more years left in it. I'm hoping it makes it to 20 years. As of now, the runtime is around 143,000 hours, give or take a few days. Not sure how much current the thermometer uses, but I'm reasonably sure it's under 15 microamps. Truth is that as impressive as these figures are, a device with this low a current draw is probably better off running with a small solar cell and a supercap. I'll probably convert it to use exactly that when this battery finally dies. And then it should be good literally forever.

Last edited:

Rat6P

Enlightened
Made in Japan....20 odd years ago............thats says most of it I think!

Last edited:

tylernt

Enlightened
I wonder if carbon zinc or zinc chloride cells are actually a better choice for remote control batteries or other infrequent use devices.
I did some checking and apparently the CZn (Carbon-Zinc) can also leak, though a quick Google search turns up conflicting results on whether or not they are more or less likely to leak. I've had few alkalines leak and zero CZn leak, so there is at least anecdotal evidence CZn may be superior in leak resistance.

And as noted, their shelf life also seems to be pretty dang good. And in a low drain application like a remote, the lower mAh capacity is not an issue (especially considering the lower cost of CZn).

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
perhaps you live near a large power plant or radio station/cell tower. At those low drain rates it wouldn't take much of an electromagnetic field to restore a couple mah in your batteries....shoot, a good solar flare might keep you going for a week lol.

InHisName

Enlightened
Back in the 'old' days when Alkalines were the new kid on the block, people were excited about them till they saw the price. Well, anyway, the rumor flying around was the alkalines NEVER leaked before they were nearly dead. Then when they were dead, hardly ever leaked. EverReady 9Lives were 25 Cents each then. D & C were 1.19 and AA was obscure size no one ever needed and went for like .99.

Problem was you could get a WHOLE lotta more light outta 4 EverReadys than one Duracell. So sales were slow to enroach on that market.

Now diff between carbon-zinc and Alkalines is more like 10-25 cents. Never worth the bother. Just last fall 09, I paid $6.45/4 Duraloops ($1.61 each!). Now I'm pretty sure that I never need to buy any more alkalines either.

Conte

Enlightened
Museum pieces.
+1.
I'd retire them. Put a fresh set of batteries in the remote and stick those gems on the shelf, on display with your best of lights :grin2:

In other news, I have a 15+ Year old 12v set of NiCd Sub-C's that still take a full charge, and hold said charge reasonably. They were ripped out an old video camera pack.

I also have a 6v set of NiCD sub-c's that, well, I'm not sure how old they are, probably a good 10 years, still take a full charge, haven't leaked, and HOLD that charge.
They came out of a JVC video camera pack, go figure.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPDATE: these batteries are still going strong!

I'd do some metering with this one:

715mod1A.jpg

:D

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd do some metering with this one:

:D

After those meters were retired from civil defense, the people that used to calibrate them for the different state agencies formed a company to purchase and sell refurbished meters.

I've got a couple different Victoreen models besides the dosimeters. One meter still works, but the others don't move the needle. Neat piece of history of the duck and cover era.