Since Charger + Batts

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pictured my new Since Charger + 4 Batts .
110/240V 3.6v RCR123A Charger [ sais will do 3v ?? ]
Came with Conv plug for Oz outlets .
No switches or anything on the charger , must be all auto .

The first thing I did was put the Multi Meter on the batts and measure Voltage , 2 came out at 3.96v and the other two came out at 4.1v .

I put black rings around the two 4.1's and threw them in my Romisen , and then I put the other two in the charger , it took almost 3 hours to go green , both batts measured 4.19 just after removal , I then let them sit on green for another 15 minutes .Then I let them sit/cool for 15 minutes to normalize and measured again , one came in at 4.2 even the other 4.19
Hmmmm !!!

I threw the 4.19 back in the charger to see if it will do a single batt , and it seems to be doing it . But I dont think it is dual channel though .
I let the 4.19 sit on green for another 10 minutes , its now 4.2 , I will let it sit a while and measure again .

I took this op to see how many amps is being put in = 0.o3A
When it goes green it seems to drop down to 0.o16A
Now I haven't tried flat batts as I dont have any , but the light was flashing from green to red , so could this be trickle mode as 0.o3A seems a little low for a charger , In anyway , I will do this properly when the other chargers arrive .

PS / no instruction manual .

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok , a Batt update : [ Supplied with charger ]

Charged to 4.2v

Just done my 3rd 15min run [ 3 x 15min ] , Im doing 15 min runs due to the heat , flashy is getting very warm @ 15 min .

Anyway = 45min use = 3.87v ,
Started @ 3800Lux , after 45min @ 3100Lux [ Might be incorrect ]

Started @ o.45A , after 45min o.49A Current draw .

1-Hour , 3.75v [ the slow one 3.74v ] Current draw up to o.5A Lux reading = 3500

1Hour 15Min , 3.55v / 3.54v , o.53A Current draw , 3200Lux

1Hour 30 Minutes - Batteries Depleted

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im currently re-charging the completely depleted Batt's , I hope it takes a while , as I dont really like the fast chargers [ 2 Hours for a RCR123A ] , I think there too fast , and I can see where people may have problems with there RCR123A Batt's in such chargers .

As with anything in this world , you will have the good and the bad , and in a fast charger the bad will certainly rear there ugly heads .

Slow chargers put less stress on Batt's , and there for less problems , and so far Im liking what I see .

This was a cheap buy , $18-Oz Bananas , a half decent CR123A costs $6+ here for a single batt , I got 4 + Charger . I was expecting less than 60minutes run time and I would say I got almost a full 90minutes run in my Romisen RL-B7 . That is a rather good run from these cheap batt's , and if the charger takes 5 hours to charge a completely depleted batt , that would make me a very happy camper .
I will update this when the batt's are fully charged :

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think there just a generic Ebay Batt , and there bundled with the charger , as can be seen in the picture .
From the date , looks like a fresh batch .

Charge time from dead flat = 5Hours 15 minutes [ Full Green ] 4.18 / 4.19 , Im going to let them trickle charge another 15 or so minutes and try and top them up at 4.2 / 4.21 .

Ok Im very happy with this charger , and the batt's never get hot or warm , they sort of just sit at or slightly above room temp .

Again , Ebay bundled batt's and charger , + I think this charger sells on its own for like $6USD , I love it , this charger seems to charge at a very nice rate , and like I said , no hot or warm batt's , so you know your not going to blow them up .

What can I say , for less than $6USD for the charger alone , 10 out of 10 .
5 Hour charge time , to me , better than 2 hour charge time , just to many reasons why charging slower is better .

For the money , if you don't have one , why not ?
:wave:

sku.1212 $5.75
Or just Ebay . Either way , Im surprised you can get such a good charger for so little , :popcorn:

Post Man dropped of some Protected SpiderFire RCR123A's

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
JUST because , sometimes for the money, things work out great at first, and look good on paper, then you start using it for long times, and it was (what you could say) Propped up like a perpetual motion machine , and it didnt last through time and reality.

at any rate, your analisis and testing and that stuff is great, and i enjoyed reading it.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
JUST because , sometimes for the money, things work out great at first, and look good on paper, then you start using it for long times, and it was (what you could say) Propped up like a perpetual motion machine , and it didnt last through time and reality.

at any rate, your analisis and testing and that stuff is great, and i enjoyed reading it.

Hell yeah , :whistle: , will it last , the million dollar question :thumbsup:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

The charger itself gets a little warm , and needs to heatsink off something , so if this can keep it cooler , I might make it permanent :thinking:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually , I thought , the heat is a result of trapped air , or a lack of convection [ movement ] So I got out my motor tool and went drilling .

Yes , lots of holes drilled , why , because most electronic devices are killed by heat , and the cooler I can make it , the longer it should last , :naughty:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
now that is more like it, why didnt they think of doing that when they make these things ?
Lots of these little electronics i have had burn up the first one, i have perforated with the B&D assault team :) and the second one just keeps working.
but if your going to sell that as a mod, you need a cool design for the holes, like Orion, or a dragon, the big dipper, or spell out CPF :)

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah , runs a lot cooler now , I would estimate a 50% reduction in heat build up , :tinfoil:

I think it would need to be done when the cover is molded [ Neat design ]
$6USD Charger , :whistle: Ok its a bit messy , but I was going more for effect than looks :D

2 More chargers on the way , hmmmm !

:wave:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

AA charger mod ..

I ground the plastic away at the top of the positive tab to make room for a gator clip ..

The batt's are in series , but I get the feeling the charger knows .

Charging at 1.58v and o.28A Strange !