LED Hand-Cannon Battle!

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fellow CPFers,

I am torn and haven't gone this crazy since obsessing about the Pelican 7060!

We are in a new era of LED Hand-Cannons: relatively palmable lights that put out tremendous lumens and are relatively affordable.

At the very least we have:

EagleTac M2
EagleTac M2X
Legion II
Fenix TK40

There are others as well and I need your help in the following:

1. Let's put together a list of LED Hand-Cannons that fit the above criteria:
a) relatively small (e.g., not a big spot light or a huge, 6-D Mag shape)
b) under $200
c) LOTS of light (e.g., 600+ lumens)

then...

2. Let's have a Battle Royal! I'm not a huge numbers guy so for me I'm even more interested in the qualitative aspects: how does it feel, how is the beam, what is the light good for...

Can we answer the call?
:hitit:lovecpf:hitit:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20233

7* U2 SSCP4, claim 1300 lumen, 3x 18650 side by side. REALLY fat thou, and UI sucks.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fellow CPFers,

I am torn and haven't gone this crazy since obsessing about the Pelican 7060!

We are in a new era of LED Hand-Cannons: relatively palmable lights that put out tremendous lumens and are relatively affordable.

At the very least we have:

EagleTac M2
EagleTac M2X
Legion II
Fenix TK40

There are others as well and I need your help in the following:

1. Let's put together a list of LED Hand-Cannons that fit the above criteria:
a) relatively small (e.g., not a big spot light or a huge, 6-D Mag shape)
b) under $200
c) LOTS of light (e.g., 600+ lumens)

then...

2. Let's have a Battle Royal! I'm not a huge numbers guy so for me I'm even more interested in the qualitative aspects: how does it feel, how is the beam, what is the light good for...

Can we answer the call?
:hitit:lovecpf:hitit:
The Legion-II is clearly a superior product. It is on a league of its own.

Viper715

Enlightened
I want one of those and I want it now. The only problem the only choice to have now is the TK40 but I really would like to get my hand on the Legion that just looks great and has great regulation and runtime. But the wait I hate.

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
Id have to say that the Eagletac sure looks nice and that I love my T10LC2 so much I will have to go with the EagleTac M2 or M2X models, they look like they would be easy to handle and very well made. I cant wait to get my hands on one :)

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
should these be on list

Tiablo Ace
Jetbeam M1X
DBS MCE
Sunlite 16w

what else

someone buy all of these and do high quality beamshots of all :)

EagleTac M2
EagleTac M2X
Legion II
Fenix TK40
Tiablo Ace
Jetbeam M1X
DBS MCE
Sunlite 16w

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know when a manufacturer is pretty darn serious about his product, when you see results like this:

Legion - II - High mode:

L2B.run.AW.02mar09.cr2.jpg

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
should these be on list

Tiablo Ace
Jetbeam M1X
DBS MCE
Sunlite 16w

what else

someone buy all of these and do high quality beamshots of all :)

EagleTac M2
EagleTac M2X
Legion II
Fenix TK40
Tiablo Ace
Jetbeam M1X
DBS MCE
Sunlite 16w
The Legion-II kills the DBS MC-E and will probably beat the Tiablo ACE as well:

http://www.meier-phelps.com/flashlights/L2/tree.DBS%20Q5R2.DBS%20MCE.L2%20LVL5.jpg

[over-size image replaced by link]

Legion-II VS SureFire M6 HOLA:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2908841&postcount=101

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, I think eventually it leads to whether you want a monster flood light or a thrower. :shrug:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Legion-II is clearly a superior product. It is on a league of its own.
Thanks, Outdoors Fanatic, I am in need of a strong opinion on this to help me get my bearings and decide what to get! I am now more tempted than ever to pull trigger on the Legion-II, but what if the M2 is even more potent for less price?

Sabrewolf's 18650 EDC -- up to 1000 lumen options available (P7 at 3.8A :eek:)
dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20233
7* U2 SSCP4, claim 1300 lumen, 3x 18650 side by side. REALLY fat thou, and UI sucks.
should these be on list

Tiablo Ace
Jetbeam M1X
DBS MCE
Sunlite 16w

There's also the Epsilon ED-P72.
Thanks guys! Awesome suggestions!

IMO, I think eventually it leads to whether you want a monster flood light or a thrower. :shrug:

Zeruel, I hear you and know you are right, but somehow in my heart I know that one of these (or a few of these) are "better" than the others. It's like my Fenix TK11--it's just so RIGHT, you know? The build, the feel, the beam, the brightness levels, the UI--everything about it is just so right. And then there are lesser lights who remain unamed, that just don't have it... So I guess what I'm wishing for is for a bunch of experienced folks from CPF to play with these lights under different circumstances and to sort of lay it out there. I think in truth I'm looking for a combination of flood and throw, looking for a true hand-cannon that will wow folks, and looking for a really well-designed light that is a pleasure to use. The only thing I don't like about the Legion-II is the use of 3 18650s... I only have 4 of them so I'd have to buy a few more and keep them charged up... and it's a bit more pricey than the EagleTacs... Hmmm...

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
a few more for your list:

Ultrafire WF-1300L
LumaPower MRV Ultra
LumaPower MVP and MVP P7
Olight M30 within a few weeks

ehallspqr

Newly Enlightened
Applevision you can't go wrong. They are all going to be great hand cannon's. I went with the Legion because it has great regulation and longer runtimes. I like the UI better and it is more of a custom light than the others. It is more floody than throw although from the beamshots it has plenty of throw. But then there are the beautiful Fenix TX40 and the EagleTac. Heck just get them all, try them out and keep the one you like best. It's the only sure way of knowing!

EagleTac M2
Legion II
Fenix TK40

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if we can say the legion II is in a class of it's own yet... the m2 and m2x haven't been compared to anything but each other yet. And eagletac has previously lived up to their high claims. Besides, I think the eagletac's UI is most convenient (w/ the switch).

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exciting times continue!

There have been a few attempts at this, but I'm wondering if we can consolidate all this data into one place...

There is a new player: The Wolf Eyes Pilot Whale! It uses the Osram 6-die LED and seems to be a pretty good powerhouse, though perhaps not more potent than the P7 in the EagleTac M2 series... (perhaps not as potent at all!)

Very nice review here by Wattnot:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/236315

I think that thinking about the combo of price/power/size/quality, the TK40 and the M2 series have taken the lead here... the Legion II still has a chance to kick some tush if Neo can get the standard edition off the ground... I would love to see more shootouts between these lights! :party:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Legion-II kills the DBS MC-E and will probably beat the Tiablo ACE as well:

I have seen all these lights in person, side by side, and the Legion-II doesn't kill anything. You think a difference of 600-750 lumens in a floody MC-E type beam is going to be that noticeable?

I have the DBS MC-E 2.4A and with a light OP reflector the Legion II only slightly edged it out. The problem with these DBS beam shots is there are all kinds of configurations out there. There are 4 different reflectors for the DBS, MC-E 2.1A pills and 2.4A pills. Switching between the light OP reflector and the regular OP reflector can make a big difference in the hot spot and the peak lux. As you go with a smoother reflector the hot spot gets more ugly, but most of the MC-E throwers I saw had pretty ugly donut holed hot spots. If I want a nicer quality beam I can switch reflectors, but I'll sacrifice throw.

My DBS actually beat out most of the MC-E lights I compared it with, except for the Legion II which edged it out, but you really had to study the beams to notice.

All of these lights are fairly close so I think you mainly want to look at what will work best for you as far as size, battery capacity, UI, etc.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sabrewolf's 18650 EDC -- up to 1000 lumen options available (P7 at 3.8A :eek:)

No way Jose,

AT 3.8A This light would be hard pressed seeing 400 out the front. Not even with an IMR 18650 will this come close to 400 out the front lumens.

FYI: Malkoff P60 MC-E direct drive make 400ish out the front at 4A with an IMR 18650 and UCL lens in a bored 6P hosts. With only 1.7A and 2 18650 cells the Malkoff P60 MC-E drop-in gets 470. Less is more in small 6P size hosts.

My vote goes to the Leggion at a true 600 confirmed out the front lumens with almost flat output and quality to boot.

I got to see the Leggion II that at first was tested incorectly at 742 when it was low 600 lumens, but it feels like holding an M6. It is a very pretty light and has some weight to it. The machining on it looks very nice and a bargain for under $200 dollars.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
No way Jose,

My vote goes to the Leggion at a true 600 confirmed out the front lumens with almost flat output and quality to boot.

I got to see the Leggion II that at first was tested incorectly at 742 when it was low 600 lumens, but it feels like holding an M6. It is a very pretty light and has some weight to it. The machining on it looks very nice and a bargain for under $200 dollars.

The thread I just read about the Legion was pretty negative...all about delays and flaws. Was I reading the wrong threAD?

jahxman

Enlightened
Last edited: