MG RX-1 MC-E Review (Pics.. Outdoor beamshots..indoor shots.. high runtime added!)

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
For inclusion in the review section…

Hello Everyone, again!
This will be my second review.
Up for review is the MG RX-1 MC-E, one of the latest offerings from Bryan over at ShiningBeam.com

I purchased the light from Bryan on 4/10/09, and I received it today, 4/13/09. Light was well wrapped up in bubble wrap, and included accessories. There is no presentation box for the light.

here is a quick summary of the specs, taken from Shiningbeam (link is here.):

• Features a Cree MC-E emitter, M bin with WC tint
  • 700+ lumens on high mode
  • Comes with tactical momentary-on switch(forward clicky) and regular switch
  • Compatible with 1x18650, 1x17670, and 2xCR123A
  • 3 Modes: Low > Mid > High
  • Current output: 200mA on low, 1000 mA on medium and 2500 mA on high
  • Regulated circuit for constant current output
  • Built in Voltage protection, will cut off at 2.8V
  • Reverse-polarity protection prevents wrongly installed batteries from damaging the circuit
  • The memory feature will memorize the last mode
  • 53 mm x 42 mm orange peel reflector for flawless beam pattern
A bit of background:
The light was announced on 4/9/09 in this thread.
Bryan over at shiningbeam notified me of receiving the lights a day beforehand, so I told him I would review one.

This light is built to have an even balance of flood and throw, being a quad die LED light.

_MG_6126-800.jpg

Here is the light up for review.

_MG_6127-800.jpg

Here is the name of the product, and the serial of my specific light.

_MG_6147-800.jpg

A view of the accessories that came with the light.. an extra tailcap, a GITD tailcap, Lanyard, Forward clicky, and switch retaining ring.

_MG_6129-800.jpg

A view of the light disassembled.. the back of the reflector, strangely enough, seems dirty. I can't tell what the grime on is made of.. maybe some form of adhesive.
2 Orings at the tailcap :thumbsup:
On the far right Is an unprotected Samsung 18650 cell.

_MG_6130-800.jpg

A view down the head of the light without the reflector installed.
Here is the Cree MC-E LED installed. The LED circuit board is covered by an adhesive black disc.

_MG_6131-800.jpg

Here a picture with the black disc removed. Strange.. seems the solder pads on the top and bottom were poked at. Also, the LED seems slightly misaligned with the board.

_MG_6133-800.jpg

A view of the tailcap.. currently, the reverse clicky is installed.

_MG_6137-800.jpg

A shot down the head. I apologize for the bad picture. The reflector is rather well textured.
Note: the LED seems slightly misaligned :shrug:

_MG_6139-800.jpg

From Left to right:
MG RX-1, Nitecore D20, Jetbeam II IBS, Nitecore EZAA, Panasonic unprotected 18650, L91 AA cell, AAA cell, CR123A cell.

_MG_6143-800.jpg

_MG_6145-800.jpg

Indoor Beamshots
On the left is the nitecore D20, right is the MG RX-1
hmm.. sorry for the weird blobbing.. the camera was set on medium quality.. somehow.

These shots are on high:
_MG_6179-400.jpg
_MG_6178-400.jpg

_MG_6177-400.jpg
_MG_6176-400.jpg

_MG_6175-400.jpg
_MG_6174-400.jpg

These shots are on low
_MG_6185-400.jpg
_MG_6184-400.jpg

_MG_6183-400.jpg
_MG_6182-400.jpg

_MG_6181-400.jpg
_MG_6180-400.jpg

_MG_6186-400.jpg
_MG_6187-400.jpg

Shots ~11 feet away from wall, in attempt to show a donut hole.. this light doesn't have too much of one.

_MG_6188-800.jpg

_MG_6189-800.jpg

Comparison to the Tiablo ACE-G
MG RX-1 is on the left, Tiablo is on the right.
_MG_6321-400.jpg

_MG_6322-400.jpg

_MG_6323-400.jpg

Outdoor Beamshots

Distance to the back fence is ~85 Feet.
Nitecore D20 is on the left, MG RX-1 is on the right.
_MG_6149-400.jpg
_MG_6154-400.jpg

_MG_6150-400.jpg
_MG_6155-400.jpg

_MG_6151-400.jpg
_MG_6156-400.jpg

_MG_6152-400.jpg
_MG_6157-400.jpg

_MG_6153-400.jpg
_MG_6158-400.jpg

Runtime:
currently having some problems with reliable 18650s.. if anyone can donate a reliable AW cell, it would be most helpful.

Got 1 AW cell! need more!

Note.. I am not using any equipment specifically designed for measuring runtime.. just a camera using CDHK, and a script provided by jirik_cz
He led me through the process, and helped me a lot.. THANKS!

Also, I have changed the way I graph the runtime.
Now, the graphs use the raw lux values from the camera!

Here it is, on high!
hmm...
the runtime I get is like this:

rx1.jpg

but!
through another tester.. he got 60-so minutes.. the AW cell I have may be older than I thought!

mine isn't flat, though it should be.

:(

PLEASE DISREGARD RUNTIMES FOR NOW.. CURRENTLY HAVING AN ISSUE REGARDING ACCURACY.

This light is very well regulated, according to another tester..

also, there is a sudden drop after 2.9V, the light stays on in an flashing emergency mode! (camera samples every 2 minutes) so no drops in output shown, but the light is indeed flashing.

First Impressions:
This light's anodizing is nice! Even though it does not have HA, the coating feels.. solid, and slightly texture-y.This texture makes the light comfortable and easy to grip.
All the threads on this light came well lubed, there were no problems opening it up to feed.

Booting up:
The classic Cree "Donut Hole" is hardly noticeable, until close ranges, though I doubt this was built as a close range light.
Low and medium are at a decent level, though this would probably be too bright for night adapted eyes.
Low and medium are also achieved through "PWM", and the "stroboscopic effect", as coined, is visible.
The frequency of PWM is decently high, so that's not an issue.
Though, I do not see myself using the other modes on this light.

Notes:
The connection between the head and the battery tube is sealed. According to the manufacturer,
this is because if the pill is adjusted, MC-E might get scratched... (this is not the case on the single die versions of this light)

Conclusion:

This will make a great introduction to MC-E lights for the lower budget users.... knock your socks off if you're used to poorly driven DX single die lights. ;)

It will probably be better than those "DX" MC-E lights, too :nana:
I would say this is a great pocket rocket.. but it isn't exactly pocket sized for most people... (but hey.. I pocketed it for a night walk..aimed the light mainly at the sky too see the beam)

Combined with Bryan's great support, fast shipping, this is a great deal!

Come on guys! Comments are needed, as I develop my review style.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
Re: MG RX-1 MC-E Review (Pics.. more to come later)

Thanks for doing this review! Yes beamshots would be great, especially showing how far the effective throw distance is. I have been very curious about this light. I would also be curious to know the runtime of the light in the various modes.

Thanks again!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review and I would lvoe to hear any more thoughts you might have on this light. Could you tell us a little more about the PWM, because a bad pwm kinda worries me. I have never been able to notice the pwm on my fenix lodce, would I be bothered by the pwm with this light?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fenix lights use Current based regulation for dimming, not PWM. They do not have the problems of "strobing".

The PWM in this light is set to a high frequency, when using it outdoors, I can barely notice it.

Outdoor beamshots posting now.

note.. I tried doing a runtime graph, but I do not have any reliable 18650 cells. all mine came from discarded laptops.
the graph came out completely different from what Bryan got.

anyone with a spare reliable AW 18650?

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe the larger models use current based regulation, but I'm pretty sure the LODCE uses PWM. I've read it in this forum a dozen times and it says the same on light-reviews.com
But regardless, I'm glad to hear the PWM is a high frequency, Im confident I won't notice it.

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
Re: MG RX-1 MC-E Review (Pics.. Outdoor beamshots..more to come later)

How far is the back wall in your beamshots from the camera? Which of the beamshots looks the most like what you saw with your eyeballs? Thanks again.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

whoops.. sorry, updated its ~85 feet to back fence.

yes, indeed your are right about the L0DCE, the LD01 also uses PWM, but at a higher frequency... I think.

and.. with that "eye" comment.. I think that would depend on how night adapted your eyes were.... The human eye can also see better, I think.. it is not completely dark around the spill.. but I'd say between 1/2 sec, and 1 sec are close=ish

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you own any other MC-E or P7 lights to compare to this one?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

I apologize.. I do not.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh well, no worries. Thanks again for your great review.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened

Can you give us some dimensions of the reflector, bezel, etc....

And even take some long distance white wall shots so we can see what kind of donut hole there is?

Thanks again for your review.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will be doing white wall beamshots soon.
Roughly how far away do you want the beamshots?

The donut hole on this light is not too noticeable.. the manufacturer got the reflector done decently.

Using a cheap caliper, I measure diameter of the bezel to be 53mm,
diameter of the reflector around 43mm
and I estimate the reflector to be also 42mm deep.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review. Two minutes ago I saw this on shiningbeam.com, and I thought, wouldn't it be nice if I could read a review on it? :thumbsup:

The main concern I have about budget lights (besides build quality) is regulation. Hope you get some good cells soon (sorry, I only have two, which I'm using).

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

According to Bryan @ shiningbeam,

1 minute 27,600 lux
6 minute 26,800 lux
11 minute 26,600 lux
20 minute 25,500 lux
26 minute 24,700 lux
29 minute 24,600 lux
33 minute 24,600 lux
38 minute 24,600 lux
45 minute 23,300 lux
49 minute 18,600 lux
52 minute off

Regulation is pretty good.

I have tried doing a runtime test, but alas, my 18650 batteries, coming from discarded laptop battery packs, are not very good.. It seems they all have developed high internal resistance..
I'm in need of a high quality AW cell or something of the sort for runtime tests.

Last edited:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened

I will be doing white wall beamshots soon.
Roughly how far away do you want the beamshots?

30-50 ft will work.

Thanks for the dimensions! That is exactly the dimensions of the Sunlite 16w reflector. Well, the 16w has 44mm reflector diameter.....

I might pick up this MG MC-E to do a comparison against the 16w.........
If this light has a true 700 OTF lumens...then that is great! And that is off of one 18650...

lightbug

Enlightened

csshih,
Excellent review, wish you have an AW 18650 battery to test out the run time yourself.

Ryanrpm,
At 2.5A, the output of MC-E emitter is probably close to 790 Lumens, so if you factor in the lost in circuit board, reflector and lens, the out of the lens output is probably 580 to 620 lumens.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

30-50 ft will work.

Thanks for the dimensions! That is exactly the dimensions of the Sunlite 16w reflector. Well, the 16w has 44mm reflector diameter.....

I might pick up this MG MC-E to do a comparison against the 16w.........
If this light has a true 700 OTF lumens...then that is great! And that is off of one 18650...

Lightbug.. thanks for the comments! I estimate roughly the same thing, though I don't have any other MC-E, P7 lights to compare.

Ryan.. I can't exactly take a picture indoors, 30-50ft away from a white wall ;)

So.. I only have ~11ft from the wall. sorry.

Posting, formatting pictures now.please wait ~5 minutes

DigitalEternal

Newly Enlightened
Re: MG RX-1 MC-E Review (Pics.. Outdoor beamshots..indoor shots added)

I just mine in today and I have to say Im quite pleased with it, i dont noticed the PWM at all, its really not noticeable, havent gotten a chance to go test the range of throw on it yet but it looks like it will be fairly decent, very nice beam pattern to for a mc-e, all in all an excelent light.

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic

Got my MG RX-1 MC-E's today, they all look very nice in Gray and the weight is surprisingly lite for its size and build quality is very good. The threads are amazingly smooth and well lubed and the double-oring end cap really was a nice touch ( wishing every light was like that ). The threads on the head were alittle rough but cleaned up good, the BIG surprise was Triple-O-rings on the body were the head screws on, sweeettt!! I dont currently own another MC-E Flashlight to compare it with but the beam is very similar to my EagleTac T10LC2 Q5 but much more intense and alittle larger in size, hard to compare beams but I took some pictures and will post tomorrow. It didnt come with a bag but it fits perfect in a Crown Royal bag, looks like the bag was made for it. The packaging on all were bubble wrapped very well and 3 days shipping was fantastic, thanks Byran, I will order again soon.

shiningbeam

Newly Enlightened

d1live,
Good to hear you like them bud. :D