My Maglite 6D Story

LightGrunt0311

Newly Enlightened
Little background info. on myself: marine reservist 0311 (ooh rah tampons, semper sometimes, yadda yadda yadda whatever you wanna call us) currently working as a teacher's assistant @ local non-profit school.

My job as a TA includes equipment accountability, p.e. instructor, security around the classrooms, mentoring, counseling, and running personal errands for my boss.

Today, I had to help my boss pick-up a student with his own personal vehicle. Whenever I take his POV, I usually take my Maglite 4D or 6D with me as a reassurance (defensive weapon, the school is located in a pretty bad neighborhood). His POV doesn't have tinted windows and mine does so I feel like I'm vulnervable all around, kinda like being completely naked in public lol.

After picking up the "package" *cough* *cough* the student, I headed back to the school. As I was pulling up, there were about roughly 15 high school punks and two senoritas were fighting and pulling each other's hairs while the rest of the kids watched and giggled with their cellphones out recording. These were kids from a nearby high school. The high school is known to be trouble!

I parked the vehicle right across the street from the fight and went inside to get my boss since he needed to bounce for a while.

My boss comes out and walks across the street to the scene and tells them to knock it off. One of the male punks turns around and starts talking crap to my boss.. During this time, I was still back across the street watching everything, and staying back for my own safety since we were clearly out numbered.

My boss calls me over and I walk across the street with my 6D Maglite attached to the side of my dress belt (6D attached to Nite ize "grip and slip"). Mine you, I was wearing a long, white casual shirt with a tie and shirt tucked in with sleeves rolled up. I also had just gotten a fresh high and tight hair cut jarhead style and was wearing my M frame Oakleys.

As I was speed walking towards the punk, my 6D Maglite was swinging around like crazy and it was clearly visible. They were all staring at my 6D! I had my war face on and I didn't even notice my wrist were clinched tight! I stood next to my boss and at that point, they decided to run. I had my right hand on the Mag and was getting ready to pull it out too.

My boss and I jumped into his POV and tried to chase them down while relaying location and description of the suspects to 911 dispatch. My adrealine was pumping like crazy!

We finally spot them and overlapped them at the next street corner so we could keep eyes on them. All of a sudden, they just vanished! So we flipped the biatch and drove back to check and turns out they went down a side alley. At that point, three police cars arrived and circled the area.

My boss and I decided to say screw it and go back to school. I don't know if they got caught or not but my blood boils everytime I see those wannabe punks hang around near my school.

Well, that was my day. I wouldn't trade my 6D Maglite for anything!

oh yeah, I also learned a lot from today. I learned not what to do and what kind of other self-defensive weapon I could carry. I was carrying a small little pepper spray and I think having a bigger can of pepper spray would've been kinda useful. I have one in my truck but usually don't carry it on me as it's kinda a hassle to EDC.. It looks like I may have to compromise on that!

I also learned not to be like my boss and just charge out there! Mind you there were about 15 bodies vs 2 of us! If only I had a frag... lol.

Semper fi, ooh rah kill

oh yeah my boss was a reserve infantry marine.....like 30 years ago... at my same unit and same platoon! how ironic... lol

Last edited:

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Interesting story LightGrunt. I have a 6D but always felt it was too heavy to swing. By that I mean if you miss, the momentum pulls you around too far for an easy second swipe. A 4D felt more comfortable as a battle club, oops I mean a tool of incidental defensiveness! Years ago I saw an attachment handle which could be slipped over a 4D or 6D to give it a side handle so the whole thing became a baton/night stick. Not sure about the legalities regarding 'intent' to harm, but I'd love to know if anyone ever had one on a Mag and whether it was of any real value.

Last edited:

LightGrunt0311

Newly Enlightened
Interesting story LightGrunt. I have a 6D but always felt it was too heavy to swing. By that I mean if you miss, the momentum pulls you around too far for an easy second swipe. A 4D felt more comfortable as a battle club, oops I mean a tool of incidental defensiveness! Years ago I saw an attachment handle which could be slipped over a 4D or 6D to give it a side handle so the whole thing became a batton/night stick. Not sure about the legalities regarding 'intent' to harm, but I'd love to know if anyone ever had one on a Mag and whether it was of any real value.

I hold my 6D like it's a rifle. I can easily do a forward thrust or horizontal butt stroke with the Mag's head.

i guess it's also a big intimidation factor to considering how long it looks!!

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, as far as I can tell, there were two girls fighting with each other, and then their friends... said unkind things to your boss?

Is that all they did?

Maybe you and your boss could try herbal tea or something. :)

Tomcat!

Enlightened
I hold my 6D like it's a rifle. I can easily do a forward thrust or horizontal butt stroke with the Mag's head.

i guess it's also a big intimidation factor to considering how long it looks!!

Yes the horizontal block and thrust is a better and more practical idea, especially in confined spaces like defence in the home. I'd love to see the sort of defensive techniques LEO are/were taught using a Big Mag.

mmajunkie

Newly Enlightened
You should have Bladed @45 degrees and yelled " you will not touch my 6d Maglite" and then had a massive adrenaline dump.:nana:

Latest posts