Nitecore Extreme - Couple of questions

Leonidas

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I'm thinking of getting a CR123 flashlight and I'm nearly decided to get a Nitecore Extreme. Just wondered if Nitecore users could help me with a few doubts?

1. What are the advantages / disadvantages of the strike bezel vs stainless steel?

2. Is the beam larger with the strike bezel? I get that impression from some of the pictures I've seen.

3. R2 version, does the light flicker when ramping up or down?

4. Which is the LED tint on the Q5 version? Does the R2 have a warmer tint than the Q5?

Thanks very much in advance.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Hi there,

I'm thinking of getting a CR123 flashlight and I'm nearly decided to get a Nitecore Extreme. Just wondered if Nitecore users could help me with a few doubts?

1. What are the advantages / disadvantages of the strike bezel vs stainless steel?

2. Is the beam larger with the strike bezel? I get that impression from some of the pictures I've seen.

4. Which is the LED tint on the Q5 version? Does the R2 have a warmer tint than the Q5?

1) Stainless will be more tolerant to dings incurred during the unavoidable times you drop your light.

3) There might be a slight flicker, but since you're not using the light when ramping, why does it matter? You just ramp to the level you want, and use the light in a steady state. Moot point...

4) The R2 and Q5 are simply flux bins. Tint bins are entirely separate. The flux bins has no impact on the tint. You could just as easily get a warm R2 and cool Q5 or a warm Q5 and a cool R2.

However, unless they have changed their practices, NiteCore tends to buy WC tint for their regular models.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
2. The strike bezel should deliver a sightly larger flood area (NOT HOTSPOT) than the round SS bezel. Mine has a stylish triangular beam.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there,

Its a great light you wont regret if you want a warmer tint get the Golden Dragon Plus, it has no cree rings either if that even bothers you.I dont notice any fickering.

zx7dave

Enlightened
Its a great light you wont regret if you want a warmer tint get the Golden Dragon Plus, it has no cree rings either if that even bothers you.I dont notice any fickering.

+1 on the GDP version...Love mine....

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I like the Golden Dragon LEDs in my Extreme and EX10s I don't think they are warm at all.There does seem to be some "yellow" color in the corona of the beams but for the most part the tint is on the cool side appearing very white.Next to a true warm LED or even my INOVA T1 the Golden Dragon LEDs appear very cool.All that said I still like them and they do have a nicer beams than any of my CREE lights.

Leonidas

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everybody for your replies :twothumbs Now I have to choose between the Q5 Stainless Steel or the R2 with Strike bezel.. I will let u know.

Leonidas

Newly Enlightened
One more thing... I'm planning to get some AW RCR123 batteries for the flashlight. I've already got a Nano Charger, but I wonder if it would be better to get an Ultrafire WF-138. Is it safer or better in any aspects? I've read the Nano charger carries on charging the cell even if the LED goes green, which could be dangerous if you leave it for some hours. Is that the same case with protected batteries? I mean, if the charger continues to charge the cell after going green but the cell is protected, will the cell disconnect itself so it is not affected by the Nano charger output?

callmaster

Enlightened
One more thing... I'm planning to get some AW RCR123 batteries for the flashlight. I've already got a Nano Charger, but I wonder if it would be better to get an Ultrafire WF-138. Is it safer or better in any aspects? I've read the Nano charger carries on charging the cell even if the LED goes green, which could be dangerous if you leave it for some hours. Is that the same case with protected batteries? I mean, if the charger continues to charge the cell after going green but the cell is protected, will the cell disconnect itself so it is not affected by the Nano charger output?

I'd suggest searching the site for the answers. There have been some pretty detailed discussions about the WF-138/139 and the Nano Charger as to the overcharging possibilities.

Leonidas

Newly Enlightened
I'd suggest searching the site for the answers. There have been some pretty detailed discussions about the WF-138/139 and the Nano Charger as to the overcharging possibilities.

I've been reading some posts regarding these chargers. I read the Nano can overcharge after going green, but I couldn't see whether the Surefire would do the same or not. Sorry if this has been asked before, I just would like to get the safer charger.

s.c.

Newly Enlightened

I would suggest going for the 139 model (unless you plan on getting 3v lifepo4 batteries). Its only a matter of time before you start building a collection and getting into different battery types.

Leonidas

Newly Enlightened
I received my Nitecore Extreme with Cree Q5 yesterday! It's such an amazing little torch... I'm really surprised by the power it's got. Great size, UI, throw, etc.. I'm so happy with it :twothumbs

jdhaines

Newly Enlightened
I just got my nitecore extreme R2 today. I have to say one thing. The pictures that you guys at CPF take are impressive. In my head I had this light pictured about 2X the size that it actually is. Even holding a ruler in my hand at the same length, I had the size totally wrong. I got out the cardboard box and though WTF?! Where is the big box?

Then I opened it to see this tiny little toy light and though OMG, they sent a toy...Then I put in the battery and proceeded to blind myself. I'm amazed. Truly amazed.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if I want a warm light, do I go GDP?

While not alot warmer i believe it is atleast a shade warmer. Its really not warmer but not as cool as the R2 if that makes since, probably not sorry. I think the best advantage of the GP+ is that their is no Cree rings. Its really a very nice beam. Nice hot spot with lots of even spill.

TECENG

Newly Enlightened
I just got my nitecore extreme R2 today. I have to say one thing. The pictures that you guys at CPF take are impressive. In my head I had this light pictured about 2X the size that it actually is. Even holding a ruler in my hand at the same length, I had the size totally wrong. I got out the cardboard box and though WTF?! Where is the big box?

Then I opened it to see this tiny little toy light and though OMG, they sent a toy...Then I put in the battery and proceeded to blind myself. I'm amazed. Truly amazed.

Yeah, I was the same way when I bought mine. I got one when they first came out and it is still one of my favorite lights. I never had a light that had any type of throw before so I was amazed. ANd I love the aggressive look.

Now excuse me while I go back hunting for a good aspherical light ... ;)

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also consider a Nitecore Extreme and have to choose between the R2 or the GDP. I don't care about the price difference, I want the right one!

I currently don't own a flashlight with a GD, my Ra Clicky 170Cn is still on the way, but I have a few with an R2.

I definetely want the warmest tint I can get, perhaps I can ask the dealer (flashaholics.uk) to choose one for me. I also like the stainless steel bezel, while the strike bezel would be good too. So, the question is resumed to throw and beam pattern.

Does that lead me to a GDP with a stainles steel bezel? :popcorn: