UK Light Cannon Dive light - new bulb?

Bob01

Newly Enlightened
Hey All,

My HID (450 lumens) Dive Light (UK Light Canon 100), died - well to be more precise the guess is that the bulb died - to get another bulb is going to be $100.

So I was thinking instead I could get something like a 2x18650 light from DealExtreme and turn it on, then put it in the carcass/housing (roughly 2.5" diameter, 7.25" deep) before I do my dive. However since this chassis is all plastic - I would imagine such a light would overheat, even in the water?

Ideally I would like something equal or more powerful than the HID I had, that puts out a very white light and could last 3 hours on a charge - sometimes I have to do surface swims to the dive spots - 40 mins each way :p...oh yeah and wont overheat/die in this housing :-D - Is this a feasible idea?

Thanks in Advance!,

Bob

cryhavok

Enlightened
Re: My HID Dive light is dead - Can I shove xyz product into it's chassis?

Hi Bob,

You won't get anywhere near the output or throw of the lightcannon with an LED without spending a fair bit of money. Sticking another light into the lightcannon shell will make for a very clumsy light and I bet you won't be pleased with it after 1 dive.

There are some good threads in the diving section of how to turn a maglight into a great dive light.

Given that you already own the lightcannon, the best thing is probably to just fix it. LITEmania has the WA 10W HID bulbs that go in the lightcannon for sale over in the marketplace for only $45 shipped. You can also get a bulb and ballast for $88 shipped. The sales thread is here

Bob01

Newly Enlightened

Awesome! Thank you!

I take this light would be a direct plug in with no need to do modifications (ie resistors, proper prong alignment, etc)?

I see your also in Miami - do you dive often? Can I also ask what light you dive with?

Thanks!,

Bob

Bob01

Newly Enlightened

Looking at that sales thread - it doesn't look like the bulb comes with a glass dome around it...I take it the light cannon should function normally without it? - just have to be extra careful when taking it apart?

Thanks again!,

Bob

cryhavok

Enlightened

The dome is made of quartz and as far as I know, it serves no purpose other than protection. Many of us who use the WA HIDs actually remove the dome as it allows more light to be extracted. It doesn't hold a special gas inside, either, as it is open to the air on the bottom. You do need to be extra careful and make sure you don't touch any of the glass parts (oils from your fingers will significantly reduce the life of the bulb).

The bulb will just plug right into the ballast. If you need to replace the ballast, it will be a direct replacement as far as size wise...I don't know how it is wired so you may need to break out the soldering iron to connect it to the battery pack/switch.

The WA bulb and ballast sold by LITEmania are the exact same ones used in the UK Light cannon.

I actually got my open water certification earlier this year. I went night diving off the beach in Ft. Lauderdale and it was a blast. I haven't had time to go diving lately, but I hope to have some time in the near future.

I am in the process of finishing my Barbolight dive light. It will essentially be the same as this when it is completed. The machining is all done...I just need to make a custom battery pack (6 AA NiMH cells wired 2s3p) and assemble the light engine. It should be a very sweet light when done (~1000 emitter lumens)

Last edited:

Bob01

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the reply! I am in the process of ordering that bulb right now! :-D

Upon closer inspection of my dead bulb, I see theres a crack in the dome...wonder what that could be from, as even if it was dropped, it looks like its pretty securely held within the ballast/plug...

By the looks of it, that Barbolight is going to be a monster - try not to blind the fish too badly when using it ;-) It would be awesome if you could post the build process in the dive section :-D

I'm doing mostly shore dives as well, Commercial is nice, but if you get a chance the dive at Pompano, it is waaay better...just have to deal with a 40 min swim...

Bob01

Newly Enlightened

Given that you already own the lightcannon, the best thing is probably to just fix it. LITEmania has the WA 10W HID bulbs that go in the lightcannon for sale over in the marketplace for only $45 shipped. You can also get a bulb and ballast for $88 shipped. The sales thread is here

It appears the bulbs sold out - any other leads on where I can get one for around the same price?

Thanks again!,

Bob

DM51

Flashaholic

Bob, you seem to have dropped the idea of modding your Light Cannon by stripping out the parts and just using the body. Cryhavok has given you good advice on that.

If you don't mind, I'm going to change your thread title to reflect the new direction the thread has taken, and I'll move the thread into the Dive Lights section. Members there may know of other sources for these bulbs.

Bob01

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Gav6280,

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Leisure Pro deal...

Before I do, anyone out there know of a source of compatible bulbs that are lower in cost? - poor student here :-/