My 2009 Surefire LX2

Chao

Enlightened
This new LX2 was designed to replace the surefire L2. New smooth, fluted body, TIR lens and with 200 lumens on high setting…
LX2-0.jpg
LX2-6.jpg

LX2-2.jpg

Features:
• Length: 5.4", Bezel:1"
• Total Internal Reflection (TIR) lens
• Output & runtime:
High beam: 200 lumens/2hrs
Low beam: 15 lumens/47 hrs
• 2xCR123A
• Two-way clip permits light to be carried bezel up or down
• Two-stage tailcap switch—press for momentary-on low, press further for high; twist for constant-on at either level
• Waterproof to one meter for up to 30 minutes
• Adjustable lanyard included

Lux readings at 1meter:
High: 9280 lux (CR123Ax2), 7550 lux (14650 Li-on)
Low: 659 lux (CR123Ax2), 660 lux (14650 Li-on)

LX2 head is E-series thread comparable
LX2-4.jpg

LX2-5.jpg

LX2 head can fits Surefire E-series body, however, the LX2 circuit is in the head, and the 2-stages is controlled by the resistor in the tail cap (see#17 for the detail, thanks Size15's), so LX2 head +E-body will only have high beam.
Single level output head, for example, L4 head can uses LX2 body to make 2-level output, my 120 lumens L4 head + LX2 body is just perfect, low beam looks like 50-60 lumens, very bright enough for general use and with longer runtime.

Beam pattern is like E2DL but with bigger hotspot
Because of using TIR lens, the LX2 has big, round and bright hot spot with decent side spill like E1B, E2L and E2DL did, My LX2 has the yellowish tint; I have some SF lights that look yellowish and its fine for me.

LX2 is brighter than 120 lumens E2DL
LX2 is definitely brighter (either throw and total output) than my E2DL!!! Followed are beamshots comparisons.

5m beamshots (left to right: Fenix TK10, SF E2DL, SF LX2)
TK10-5m.jpg
E2DL-5m.jpg
LX2-5m.jpg

5m lower exposure
TK10-5m-3.jpg
E2DL-5m-2.jpg
LX2-5m-2.jpg

10m beamshots (left to right: Fenix TK10, SF E2DL, SF LX2)
TK10-10m.jpg
E2DL-10m.jpg
LX2-10m.jpg

10m lower exposure
TK10-10m-1-5.jpg
E2DL-10m-2.jpg
LX2-10m-2.jpg

E2DL-L1-LX2-low.jpg

Low level comparisons, from left to right are E2DL, L1, LX2. The LX2 15 lumens low beam is a little brighter than the L1 low (10 lumens).

LX2 vs. Fenix TA30
5m
TA30-5m-3.jpg
LX2-5m-2.jpg

10m
TA30-10m-1-5.jpg
LX2-10m-2.jpg

This LX2 is very bright, it's even a little brighter than my Fenix TA30 by ceiling bounce test, if judging from the beamshots shown above, LX2 and TA30 have similar throw, and although the spill in LX2 is not as bright as TA30, however, the LX2 put more of it's light into the big hotspot.

Almost 2 hrs regulation in high beam
LX2runtime.jpg

Runtimes are shown in the graph, the high level using primary cells was around 2hrs, this is same as claimed by surefire, so I would expect the low beam runtime will close to 47 hrs. I also tested 14650 li-on in high beam (17670 does not fit), has 80% brightness compared to the primary cells, not bad, still very bright.

CPF-E2DLruntime.jpg

Here I would like to show the E2DL runtime graph again for compare, looks like the LX2 has different circuit in the head.

LX2-7.jpg

Surefire did a good job in the lumens/ runtime rating of this LX2, I am very happy that I bought this light and very satisfied after playing it for a week. So far I have nothing special for bad, just a minor thing, the long clip is too long to rub the tailcap, but this not bother me too much.

Last edited:

prime77

Enlightened
Great review Chao! I have been waiting to see your runtime graph for the LX2. 2Hrs at regulation not bad at all. Thanks for doing this.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics Chao!....your reviews are usually bad for my wallet:( Thanks for really making it clear the difference (at least in your samples...I know leds vary) in output between the e2dl and the lx2. Very tempting indeed!

Numbers

Enlightened
As always, an excellent Chao review.
Thank you. Good to know my back order wait will be worth it. 2 hours at 200, real good!

Chao

Enlightened
Do you like your E2D LED though, i want to get one, but still not sure.

I still like my E2DL, it's a nice clicky light:)
Surefire catalog said "we never said choosing a surefire would be easy", I think they did it :devil:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I enjoyed the review and beamshots. The exposure makes it easy to see differences between the lights.

Thanks for the nice review, :)

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am liking my 2 LX2s. One has found its new resting home in my computer backpack (replacing a L1-Cree) and the other now sports a F04 beam filter and sits on the dresser ready and waiting.

I am considering pickup up an E2DL for a lady friend since it comes on high first and is a clicky.

Wattnot

Enlightened
I'm having a tough time deciding between the LX2 and E2DL still. I know people say they like the clip on the LX2 but there are threads about one that broke already, and about how it rubs on the moving surface of the twisty.

The clip on the E2L (looks like the same one as on the A2) is a better design. Why couldn't they just make that one reversable? If you look closely at the L2X you can see a spot near the tailcap that looks like it could have supported that.

The clip on the E2DL looks the same as the one on the L1. That clip seems to short for me. It won't clear the bottom of 1.5 inch belt so it's less secure (it's held open by the belt itself).

It's too bad the E2L doesn't have the same output as the E2DL because that would be my first choice. However, I'm probably going to get an L2X anyway. That broken clip was probably an isolated incident and SF will replace it anyway.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Wattnot,
SureFires don't have beltclips - they have PocketClips!

The standard (both long and short versions) and the two-way (both long and short versions) PocketClips are designed to break away rather than risk injury to the user as a result of the clip getting caught on something.
When a PocketClip breaks away during a snagging incident the flashlight likely remains in the pocket.

A question is whether the long two-way PocketClip is any more prone to breaking away too easily compared to the long standard PocketClip. Time and user-feedback will tell I guess. n=1 is far too small sample even though it happened so soon after the long two-way PocketClip was introduced.

SureFire replaces broken PocketClips - all it takes is a quick phone call.

Over the years I've had several break. Usually getting caught under the arm of a work chair when I stand up. Once when I was getting out of my car.

As to the choice between the LX2 and the E2DL... putting aside the crenelations which I find annoying, the main difference is the User Interface. I much prefer the two-stage pressure switch of the LX2 to the dual output clickie switch of the E2DL.

If a clickie is desired and dual output isn't, there is the ability to put a KX2C bezel on an E2e body. Another way to achieve this is the VTAC-L4 although this has the Z68 shrouded clickie TailCap.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is low fully regulated or is the resistor just dropping the voltage like the old L1. I'm really hoping for flatline like the L2

Size15's

Flashaholic
Is low fully regulated or is the resistor just dropping the voltage like the old L1. I'm really hoping for flatline like the L2
From what I gather, the LX2 (and LX1 also) have two discrete regulated output modes. The two-stage pressure switch uses a resistor to create a difference between the two stages the pressure switch can be pressed. The electronics senses this difference and switches between the two modes accordingly.
The two-stage pressure switch resistor is not used as a throttle in the 'direct drive' sense.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Looks like there is a steady drop off in output for about 35 minutes, then leveling off at 80% output for the remainder of the two hours. Probably heat sinking issue, but still good output for a small light.

Bill

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I gather, the LX2 (and LX1 also) have two discrete regulated output modes. The two-stage pressure switch uses a resistor to create a difference between the two stages the pressure switch can be pressed. The electronics senses this difference and switches between the two modes accordingly.
The two-stage pressure switch resistor is not used as a throttle in the 'direct drive' sense.

Great! I don't want Mc2ES style resistor to control current

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Unless I read this wrong, LX2 users are reporting using the LX2 tailcap with other E series LED lights and getting a low mode. Sounds like what the Mc2ES does. Looking for such posts....

Bill

Latest posts