The poor mans 123 battery holder

BillM

Newly Enlightened
Just thought I'd share a small find. While killing some time at the local Walmart last week, I sighted a little round 86 cent waterproof match holder. It looked like it might work out so I spent the big bucks and took it home.

It does indeed provide a very good fit for 2, 123 batteries. There is a bit of rattle but some heavy paper took care of that. It is by no means fancy or especially tough but it's quick, easy and cheap. It is orange so it's easy to keep an eye on. It will go well into a brief case, jacket pocket, carry bag or about anywhere you need a light duty battery carrier. All for 86 cents.

Bill

FNG

Enlightened
I got 3 of them from ****s Sporting goods a few months ago. They work nicely and I stop the rattle by using a foam piece on each end used for shipping.

Tomas

Banned
Must be this one, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

match_holder.jpg

Coghlan Waterproof match holder

I happened to have some fairly thin foam package padding that I cut to friction-fit the bottom to keep things from rattling and it works great.

tomsig03.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the one - This little trick (using the match holder for 2 x 123a) has been around for a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've had my spares in one for about a year now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BillM

Newly Enlightened
Tomas,
Yeah that's the one all right. Simple, cheap and it works. Not being all that lucky a guy, extra batteries are a must

Best........ Bill

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
papasan said:
why would a poor man be using a 123 cell light?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it is a case of cause and effect.

Tomas

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
[ QUOTE ]
papasan said:
why would a poor man be using a 123 cell light?

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe it is a case of cause and effect.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup! That's why he's poor ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
I've been looking at cigar tubes for holding my spares. I have a spares carrier from Surefire, but was looking at other ways to do it. I found one that was just about the perfect size to hold ~4, but the damn cigar was $4. Since I don't smoke cigars I figured it'd be a waste so I'm in search of some cheaper ones.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting this suggestion.. I just bagged 3 of 'em, since I can hardly build my own for that.

I noticed that there is a strip of flint that runs across the bottom of the tube. I guess if you kept one of these filled with powdered magnesium, you'd have one heck of a fire starter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif