guinea pig needed

clint357

Newly Enlightened
I am currently selling some 900 lumen lights, but I want to step up to some 3,100 lumen Bridgelux driving lights. I would just go out and spend $300 and make a pair of them but I'm super tight on cash right now so I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to buy one or two of these from me once I get them done and prove that they work well. Of course I would give back 100% of the money if anything is not satisfactory. They will be in a custom made CNC turned 2.75" dia aluminum housing along with mounting brackets. I would really like to know if anyone is willing to give this a try. I'm not trying to make a dime on this, I just would like to get some made.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
YOU LIVE IN MY HOME TOWN!!!!
I'm in the army now but I was born and raised in Byron Center, just south of ole GR, anyway these lights you are proposing, running on 11-15VDC? can be mounted anywhere on my truck? also...how much would be be talking here? I would love to have some "turn my truck into a sun" lights but as i previously stated by revealing my profession, money is a precious commodity

clint357

Newly Enlightened
They will look just like my other lights but slightly larger (see sig. for website). The first prototype pair I will sell for $300, which will just cover materials. The Light will work from 4v to about 17v DC input. For $70 I can also have a batch of them anodized in clear, black, blue, red, greed, or gold. Let me know because I would really like to make a few of these things.

mboni

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for suggestions, I've got a wish that nobody seems to be building yet:

Take your 900 lumen lights and give them a proper beam pattern for road use, with a real cutoff to reduce glare in the eyes of oncoming drivers. And make the cutoff work if the lights are mounted from the side, like where they'd be located on a set of motorcycle forks. Some upward spill is needed, but the beam hotspot should be horizontal and below.

I can imagine people wanting both a wide 'fog' beam pattern and a narrow 'driving' pattern, but you'd need the same cutoff in either case.

You'd need to take power input in the 12-14v range, as produced by most automotive/motorcycle systems, but I think you've already got that covered.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Well, sure, I do, but like mboni, I want it spewing from the front of my car in a properly formed and focused beam pattern, not just in a random spot/blob.

mboni

Newly Enlightened
Actually, if I'm going to put a 6,000+ lumen LED on my vehicle, it's going to face the rear and have a strobe timer, to blast tailgaters. Anyone who can't leave me 3' of space will get hit with eyeball-melting treatment. :eek:

But for the front of the vehicle, I prefer to be more polite. :D

Btw, there's a nice thread over in the bicycle section about building a beam pattern for road use:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214561

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
hey clint, i would love to have one of these, unfortunately i won't be here to use it, my shipping address is changing in 2 weeks, and then a month later its going to be somewhere in iraqistan, so I wouldn't be able to observe the beauty on my truck for a very long time, i'm sorry i can't be more helpful :(:(:( but i did have an idea for them, perhaps make the base of the light out of a powerful magnet (with felt on the bottom to prevent scratching) and the arm with the light on it adjustable, that way they place anywhere, and adjust the beam, and if they need to move it, it can be easily done, just a suggestion. Again, my deepest apologies about not being able to help you get it started.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
magnetic mounts, mmm. You can source some good magnets out of an old harddrive if you can find one. Careful, though, because these suckers will bite ;-) The cheaper the better, as the newer ones manufacturers have been using little tricks to be able to use cheaper, smaller magnets.

spencer

Enlightened
I may be interested but the Bridgelux LED doesn't really do anything for me. I'll look into it a little more. I would be more interested in a Luminous LED.

clint357

Newly Enlightened
I may be interested but the Bridgelux LED doesn't really do anything for me. I'll look into it a little more. I would be more interested in a Luminous LED.

Yeah, that's what I was going to go with at first but they're harder to drive with high apmerage and low voltage. Let me know if you know how to drive one from a vehicle's power supply and I'll get those instead. As far as the Bridgelux, I'm hoping that the super tight spot from the aspheric will be turned into a slightly larger hot spot that is a little more versatile. I'm really interested to see what those optics do to such a large, non-focused, emitter.

mboni

Newly Enlightened

Beam Guru

Newly Enlightened
Actually, if I'm going to put a 6,000+ lumen LED on my vehicle, it's going to face the rear and have a strobe timer, to blast tailgaters. Anyone who can't leave me 3' of space will get hit with eyeball-melting treatment. :eek:

But for the front of the vehicle, I prefer to be more polite. :D

HAHAHA thats awesome...imagine the poor bugger that pulls up too close at a red light and you can melt his bumper!!!!
HAHAHA!!!

wander_n_soul

Newly Enlightened
Guinea pig has arrived!!!
fill me in with the info. Im hoping to replace my motorcycle headlight with LED units. Will need low beam that is at least as good as one I currently use, and no restriction on high beam... I don't care to melt the paint off of on coming traffic, since I can always switch back to low beam.

Any idea in regards to beam angles and what you plan on achieving would be helpful. Just let me know how much you need and what Im looking at.

Thanks!