T1A Taken Apart..

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
FOOLED YOU! .....(said in my best Lord Helmet voice from Spaceballs)..:crackup:
So has anyone been able to or even tried to take their T1A apart for modding?

I REALLY want to buy one, but would want to mod it once I get it with a high CRI Seoul..

Anyone?
Does it apear to come apart like the original Ti Titan?

Thanks for any help!:wave:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If and when I get one, I will do my best to get it apart and post pics.

Hopefully someone else does it first so I have some idea of what has to happen to get it open..

munchs

Newly Enlightened
I myself want to know if T1a is MOD friendly, too.
I have one, but I really can't get along with the tint it came with :(

Please keep this thread posted. Thanks :)

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
BUMP for some daytime exposure..

How bout a close up so maybe I can get some kind of idea.

Does it apear to be assembled like the Ti TITAN?

ANYONE?

*LASER*

Enlightened
Here is the complete T1A with all parts.
The original light have a very bad tint and beam :green:
I like the design with dimming and must mod all my Ti's ;)
After the mod is the beam perfect without donut an the new SSC P4 have a nice tint, i have mod the Titan with P4 and K2.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
FOOLED YOU! .....(said in my best Lord Helmet voice from Spaceballs)..:crackup:
So has anyone been able to or even tried to take their T1A apart for modding?

I REALLY want to buy one, but would want to mod it once I get it with a high CRI Seoul..

Anyone?
Does it apear to come apart like the original Ti Titan?

Thanks for any help!:wave:
You got me there too, ya little bastid!! LOL

BTW, where are CPFers getting these elusive High CRI Nichias and Seouls from anyway?

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic: The High-CRI SSC's can be bought from Mondo Electronics in Australia in quantities of 100, in smaller quantities through the group buy at the marketplace, or you can get a lower-binned part from Mouser. I set up the group buy for the parts from Mondo because I was unsatisfied with the quality of the parts from Mouser.

Nichia emitters can only be bought from Nichia as far as I know, and they only sell in full reel quantities. I'm thinking of setting up a group buy of the 183 (150ish lumens at 700mA) but I doubt there will be enough demand, even at about $3 each. An alternative might be in the works though, involving a guy who'd like his whole house lit by High-CRI LED. These are hands-down the best I've seen for accurate color rendering, especially reds, but the 1400-part reels make getting them a challenge.

Laser: I don't suppose you could elaborate on how you got the light apart to get those awesome pics?

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great Post Laser, thank you! I've also been curious about what these look like inside. It seems that the LED has been the only real complaint revolving around the T1A. That fact along is one of the oddest phenomena I've ever seen come from Surefire. Why they thought a purple beam was acceptable to release unto the public, I'll never understand. :thinking: You sure took care of the problem nicely though. :thumbsup:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is just awsome Laser! Being able to swap emitters opens up tons of possibilities for this light. It keeps it from becoming obsolete.

I don't own one yet but the emitter swap looks straight forward. Not sure about getting the whole package out of the light to do it though. Will have to study it a bit.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
*LASER*, Can you please try to explain how exactly you took it apart?

In what order does it come apart?

After the C-ring is removed, does the entire assembly just fall out?

Do those screw hold the LED/Driver to the Reflector?... or do they hold the heatsink/LED to the driver?

Where do the gold "legs" go to and was desoldering them a pain in the a$$?

It looks pretty much the same as the Ti TITAN.
I wonder exactly HOW close they are on the inside.. (Don't worry Bruce, I won't touch yours!:crackup:)

I can't ell you how happy I am to see this opened up.:twothumbs

I give in!...I actually ordered 2 T1A's on tuesday!...:whistle:..:laughing::grin2:
They're coming USPS Priority Mail so they should be here tomorrow or at worst by saturday.

I ordered an extra for a friend as a suprise but he ordered one today:crackup::crackup:
I have a feeling another friend is going to want it after using it though.:poke::laughing::laughing:

I have had the privilege to use an original Ti Titan this week (Thanks to a great friend!:wave:) and LOVE IT!
It came monday and I have been fasinated by it.
The UI is about perfect and the smoothness as it transitions from low to high has to be seen.
The low really is as LOW as everyone has been talking about.:twothumbs
I think the low is even more dim than my 11 or 18mm tritium spheres:naughty:...gonna compare tonight.

As much as I would LOVE an original Ti TITAN, I have a feeling the T1A will do for now...maybe down the line, I'll pick up an original too:ohgeez:...if I can find one.

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm now that this is a possibility, I would love one with a warm tint

It's a shame I don't have the ability to do it! :crackup:

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok i took a look at my T1A. once you remove the tailcap and battery, you can look inside the battery tube. there are two small screws. remove them and the head comes off. there is a slip/snap ring that holds the rest together. I have not dared to take that apart just yet.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered an extra for a friend as a suprise but he ordered one today:crackup:
:ohgeez:

there are two small screws. remove them and the head comes off.
good to know thanks :thumbsup:

FWIW, I like the rest of you am very interested in doing an emitter swap (ideally a K2 TFFC for me) on the T1A. But I'm hesitant for warranty purposes. Wouldn't disassembling your light void Surefire's outstanding warranty, one of their biggest selling points? Feedback on this is much appreciated and I'm eager to hear your responses.