I love the 1185 in the FM3X head! *Added outdoor beamshots!*

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I just snagged the last FM3X Megalennium head and I am really impressed with the throw using the 1185 lamp. It has taken me a while to settle on this combination as my favorite throwy light, so let me start with some background on my flashlight purchases.

I found CPF a few years ago while researching the 'new' LED lights (Luxeon I, III, and V) that had just come out and was hooked right away. I started off with a couple of LED lights and then a Mag mod, and picked up a couple more incandescent lights before tending towards LED lights for the majority of my purchases. When warmer tint LEDs came out, they had me thinking that incandescent's days were numbered. But after many purchases and much research I have come back to incandescents. You just can't get the same light out of an LED. And if you want throw, LEDs just can't match the beam from a good incan. By no stretch of the imagination am I an LED basher. LEDs have their purposes and I carry 2-3 LED lights on me at all times. But I recognize the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Most of my LED lights are general purpose, neutral tint and single cell lights. They tend to put out a peak reading of a few thousand Lux at 1 meter. I have a couple of LED lights that can exceed a peak reading of 10,000 Lux at 1 meter at turn on, and I know of one that exceeds a peak reading of 45,000 Lux at 1 meter (a custom ArcMania light using a 6 die Ostar LED and a series of 3 lenses). I don't know the light intensity of the DEFT, but I think it would exceed all of these. But, they are still not full spectrum lights and this can have detrimental effects in some circumstances. Due to the lower surface brightness of LEDs compared to an incandescent filament, few LED lights exceed peak readings of 10,000 Lux at 1 meter, especially the higher lumens output 4 die emitters like the P7 or MC-E.

Most of the incandescents lights I have put out a peak reading of around 30,000 Lux at 1 meter using somewhat standard reflectors like the standard size Mag reflector or the Surefire KT4. I measured a peak value in the 30,000 Lux at 1 meter range with both the 1111 and 1185 in the KT4. *Edit: With more fully charged batteries I measured a peak lux value of about 54,000 for the 1185 in my KT4 head.* With a 1111 in my 2" deep Mag reflector I measured a peak reading of just over 45,000 Lux at 1 meter. Not bad! But then I saw the 1185 in the 3" diameter FM3X and I knew it was something special. A lux measurement on freshly charged AW 2600mAh 18650 cells peaked at over 120,000 Lux at 1 meter. :party: And the beam is much more than just a hotspot. There is a large corona that is bright in its own right and the wide spill you would expect from a 3" diameter head like this. I have the VLOP reflector in my FM3X and my Megalennium has a McClicky switch that is the icing on the cake. This FM3X head makes the Megalennium a beautiful and usefull light to behold. So here's to Fivemega for making one of the most awesome flashlights ever fabricated. :bow: Thank you Varooj!

Gratuitous eye candy:

P1040987.jpg

P1040989.jpg

P1040983.jpg

This is a beamshot with the light 5 meters from the wall. The hotspot is around 6-8" or 15-20 centimeters across (I am estimating here).

P1040984.jpg

And this is the same beamshot, but at -1 eV to show the size of the hotspot.

I would include some outdoor beamshots, but lack an appropriate location here at my house to show what it can do. I will take it out someday soon to a nice range and take some pics to share.

OK, the wait is over. Here are the outdoor beamshots I promised!

First of all, here is a control shot of the range without the use of any flashlights:
ControlShot.jpg

Next up is the 1111 in my KT4 powered by 2 AW Li-ion C cells:
1111KT4.jpg

Third is the 1185 in my KT4 powered by 3 AW 2600mAh 18650 cells:
1185KT4.jpg

Last but certainly not least is the 1185 in my FM3X again powered by the 3 AW 2600mAh 18650 cells:
1185FM3X.jpg

In these shots, the distance to the yellow sign in front of the tree is about 150 meters and the distance to the tree behind the sign is about 170 meters.

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I love the 1185 in the FM3X head!

A lux measurement on freshly charged AW 2600mAh 18650 cells peaked at over 120,000 Lux at 1 meter. :party:
120,000 Lux??!! :faint: I don't even know that I can comprehend that, especially from a light that's not a 50W+ HID! Wow...I've got to see that thing in action - beamshots please!! :popcorn:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beautiful. Just Beautiful.

Extrapolating from my mind's image memory and your beamshots, I can tell what it is doing. In other words, I know the 1185 well and that Megalennium is really dialing the rays in nicely. You've got all the components of a beam optimized with a stunning (what I call) superspot within the hotspot.

Awesome.

[EDIT] Rich I didn't see your post until after I posted. [/EDIT]

Last edited:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast

While it does not match the throw of an HID, it ain't too shabby either. You have to love the spectrum of incandescent, the instant jump to full output, and bulbs that are cheap and readily available. For comparison to an HID for which I could find Lux measurements, the Titanium L35 (35W HID) with a 4" reflector IIRC and weighing in at just under 3 pounds put out an estimated >230,000 Lux as measured by selfbuilt (thank you selfbuilt!). But it took over 30 seconds to warm up to that output level. :whistle:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Beautiful setup. I sold my black FM3V-2 and still miss it!

BSBG

Enlightened

I enjoy my Megalennium / 3X combo as well - lots of spill, but a tight, long throwing hot spot as well.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

It looks like this is a great combination. I have been an all LED person until recently, when I discovered 1185, and shortly after FiveMega - those two are a winning combination every time :twothumbs

off topic: I have a Megalennium that I'm trying to get to work with AW 2600mAh 18650s, but they don't make contact :mad:. The 3 bumps push the negative contacts too far away from the nearly flat contacts on the flashlight. Did you just put solder blobs on one or the other, or is there a better way to get this beauty working?

Raybo

Enlightened

I'm a 1274 kinda guy, but your beam shots just might make me second guess myself. :poke:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had the same issue with lack of contact - but light started working for me by itself - initially I thought the problem was elsewhere.

I have a thread on it (link below) & there some others reported in the thread (DM51 combined another thread on it into the one I started). You can read what they did.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/229423

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic

It's a tremendous combination. The crucial thing is to get the bulb shimming right - the filament's precise position in the reflector (especially a SMO reflector) is very important to get the best focus and throw.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had the same issue with lack of contact - but light started working for me by itself - initially I thought the problem was elsewhere.

I have a thread on it (link below) & there some others reported in the thread (DM51 combined another thread on it into the one I started). You can read what they did.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/229423

Thanks for the link. It looks like I need to contact FM, since I can't solder the contacts inside the flashlight.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. It looks like I need to contact FM, since I can't solder the contacts inside the flashlight.

I am in the same boat. I cant get the host to work with any cells. I don't mind soldering the top brass caps but what about the bottom? Then my host is modified and if I choose to sell it at a later date, it will not have much of a return.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast

I chose a method that requires no modifications to the original hardware. I bought some 5mm diameter x 0.5mm thick *Edit:make that 1mm thick instead* rare earth magnets and soldered a tiny blob to the center of one side. They fit down between the three bumps on AW 2600 18650 cells. If you face the solder bump up, then it will make contact with the Megalennium contacts. I ruined a couple of magnets before I was able to solder to them quickly enough to avoid demagnetizing them, so if you decide to try this plan on buying some extras.

Here is a pic of one of the magnets nestled between the three bumps on the negative side of the AW 2600 18650:
P1050003.jpg

Note how small and how short the solder bump in the middle is. This is all it takes to make contact. With one of these for each battery, the heights of each will match up and everything goes together fine.

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

I chose a method that requires no modifications to the original hardware. I bought some 5mm diameter x 0.5mm thick rare earth magnets and soldered a tiny blob to the center of one side. They fit down between the three bumps on AW 2600 18650 cells. If you face the solder bump up, then it will make contact with the Megalennium contacts. I ruined a couple of magnets before I was able to solder to them quickly enough to avoid demagnetizing them, so if you try this plan of buying some extras.

Here is a pic of one of the magnets nestled between the three bumps on the negative side of the AW 2600 18650:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o272/cjmonz/P1050003.jpg
Note how small and how short the solder bump in the middle is. This is all it takes to make contact. With one of these for each battery, the heights of each will match up and everything goes together fine.[/QUOTE]

That's a really good idea - I'll try it ASAP. Luckily, I already have the magnets.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast

I should add that since these magnets are so small, you can't wait for the solder to fully melt and form a puddle like you normally would. By that point the magnet will already be ruined. I applied some flux on the magnet to promote wetting and then applied the solder directly to the iron tip. Next, I touched the molten solder on the iron tip to the magnet just long enough for the solder to transfer over and then blew on it to cool it down. It also helps to have the magnet already stuck to a piece of metal to help transfer heat away and of course to keep it in one place.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey CJ!

I am sooo glad you were able to snag one of the 3X heads. The KT4 head just didn't do the Megalennium/1185 combo it's proper justice. That and I'm sure you've been wanting one ever since I showed you mine!:nana:

Our next get-together will be very interesting, to be sure!:cool:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah, I have you to thank for making me think I needed one so badly. ;) When the second-to-last one sold I nearly panicked because I was in the process of trying to sell other lights and parts to scrape up the funds for this along with another Milky mod, which BTW I am waiting to receive before setting up the next get-together.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

I should add that since these magnets are so small, you can't wait for the solder to fully melt and form a puddle like you normally would. By that point the magnet will already be ruined. I applied some flux on the magnet to promote wetting and then applied the solder directly to the iron tip. Next, I touched the molten solder on the iron tip to the magnet just long enough for the solder to transfer over and then blew on it to cool it down. It also helps to have the magnet already stuck to a piece of metal to help transfer heat away and of course to keep it in one place.

Thanks for the advice. I'll admit I've almost never soldered anything before, so this might take a few tries.

edit - turns out my magnets are too big, and I'm having trouble finding the right size online - the best I've found is 4mmx1.5mm at $.96 each. Any idea where you bought yours?

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

is it possible to a .5mm magnet without the solder blob? what about a thicker magnet?