• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Available: "Shark Cage", triple Shark Mag D heatsink

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the invention of fellow member spc (Steve) who asked if I could make a heatsink for 3 Sharks that could be used with a dimming pot. This setup would be a nice way to drive an SST-90 (or more) at ~9A.

Using my previous SharkSink D, 3 individual sinks are required as shown below.

dsc0938fk6.jpg

With Steve's idea, one sink would accomodate 3 Sharks. The advantage is that the Shark Cage can be loaded with Sharks, bench wired, tested, then slid in the tube from the front and wired to the switch and pot.

As you can see it can also be used with a Remora.

Some compound in the tube as you slide it in, along with a few dabs of epoxy once it's in place should secure it well and allow good heat transfer to the tube.

Here are some pics and mock-ups:

2h37m15.jpg

2mnlstc.jpg

25ezrjk.jpg

1054odu.jpg

The 2nd picture above shows the Shark Cage with both a pot and Remora, but in reality one or the other would be used.

The Shark Cage has a cutout to clear the pot housing. Some care will be needed when installing the pot, and mounting the Sharks with respect to clearance and wiring room.

It slides in a stock Mag D tube nicely, but if you have a custom HA host with a thick coating of ano, light sanding of the OD may be required.

If interested please post here and I will order accordingly. Lead time should be a couple weeks.

EDIT: Now available for sale.

$13 ea, plus $2 domestic first class shipping per order.

Last edited:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Interest thread: "Shark Cage", triple Shark Mag D heatsink

- Nailbender, shipped 9/29/09
- arek98, shipped 9/29/09
- DonXFi, shipped, 9/30/09

Last edited:

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dennis, this is an awesome setup! 9A :devil:! Mag D boys have all the fun. I love the ability to prewire all connections prior to installation. This also enables the user to remove the entire sink (If Arctic Alumina is used and not the epoxy version)should he/she need to resolder.

Thanks for staying on the edge of innovation!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

Zep, I'd be potentially interested in a few, particularly if you could make something similar but with small raised blocks designed to contact the thermal pads on the MaxFlex drivers... that way I'd have some flexibility in using those, or shaving off the raised areas for use with the Shark. It would be a darned handy part to have, IMHO! :naughty:

Incidentally, how will you address the potential tolerance issue with the Mag body? I assume for best results one would want the minimum possible wiggle room between heatsink and Mag sidewall, but there does tend to be a little variance from generation to generation of Mag xD body, likewise if the host was plated or hard ano'd. (As you'd mentioned.) Any tips on handling the variance? (This isn't meant as a criticism, just brainstorming the optimal way to tackle this particular issue.)

Maybe make the OD of the heatsink assembly just a tad larger than the largest conceivable ID of the tube, and cut a small piece off the sink so it resembles something between the letters "C" and "O"? Maybe that would allow a certain amount of flex for a good press fit into the tube regardless of minor variance in the tube ID.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Yeah, I can see it.
Just a cut all the way through in the corner of one of the triangle areas. Make it slightly too big to go in without flexing it a tiny bit that way you always have good pressure on the tube walls.

:thumbsup:

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Zep, I'd be potentially interested in a few, particularly if you could make something similar but with small raised blocks designed to contact the thermal pads on the MaxFlex drivers... that way I'd have some flexibility in using those, or shaving off the raised areas for use with the Shark. It would be a darned handy part to have, IMHO! :naughty:

Incidentally, how will you address the potential tolerance issue with the Mag body? I assume for best results one would want the minimum possible wiggle room between heatsink and Mag sidewall, but there does tend to be a little variance from generation to generation of Mag xD body, likewise if the host was plated or hard ano'd. (As you'd mentioned.) Any tips on handling the variance? (This isn't meant as a criticism, just brainstorming the optimal way to tackle this particular issue.)

Maybe make the OD of the heatsink assembly just a tad larger than the largest conceivable ID of the tube, and cut a small piece off the sink so it resembles something between the letters "C" and "O"? Maybe that would allow a certain amount of flex for a good press fit into the tube regardless of minor variance in the tube ID.

Scott, the raised blocks could be done. It would require turning the part over one more time. But it might be just as well to have individual blocks mounted on each board as done here:

dsc1606xf4.jpg

Integral pads would not give as much wiggle room and adjustment for clearances.

I think I should send you one and you can determine what will work best for your use, and if the Maxflex' fit inside as intended.

The OD was designed to be 0.002" smaller than the stock Mag D tubes I have on hand. I also have a cutom HA tube that has a thicker ano coating, and it will press in by hand, but is tight. I think a saw cut through, perhaps where the pocket for the pot is, and some tweaking by hand would be enough to custom fit to a particular tube.

I'll probably leave this to the end user to maintain rigidity during manufacture, deburring, and shipping.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Scott, the raised blocks could be done. It would require turning the part over one more time. But it might be just as well to have individual blocks mounted on each board as done here:

dsc1606xf4.jpg

Integral pads would not give as much wiggle room and adjustment for clearances.

I think I should send you one and you can determine what will work best for your use, and if the Maxflex' fit inside as intended.

The OD was designed to be 0.002" smaller than the stock Mag D tubes I have on hand. I also have a cutom HA tube that has a thicker ano coating, and it will press in by hand, but is tight. I think a saw cut through, perhaps where the pocket for the pot is, and some tweaking by hand would be enough to custom fit to a particular tube.

I'll probably leave this to the end user to maintain rigidity during manufacture, deburring, and shipping.

Hi LZ

will we have enough depth to use like one of britelumens heat sinks or whose sink are you using with it I guess is the best question.
Some go quite deep in the pocket.

Dave

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dave, the Shark Cage is roughly the same depth as a SharkSink, about 0.8" IIRC.

It can be mounted right against the switch retaining circlip provided the wiring and pot (if used) are done properly.

When I get home late tonight I will check the parts and give you exact dimensions and the max. allowed depth of the LED heatsink.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi LZ

will we have enough depth to use like one of britelumens heat sinks or whose sink are you using with it I guess is the best question.
Some go quite deep in the pocket.

Dave

Dave, with the Shark Cage up against the switch there is about 3/4" of room for a tube-mounted heatsink.

Both the MC-E Mag 6C and the SST-50 Mag D did use SharkSinks and Britelumens' heatsinks which did require modding as shown.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dave, with the Shark Cage up against the switch there is about 3/4" of room for a tube-mounted heatsink.

Both the MC-E Mag 6C and the SST-50 Mag D did use SharkSinks and Britelumens' heatsinks which did require modding as shown.

Thanks Dennis

I thought I would ask instead of learn the hard way. :D:D as usual

Dave

sadtimes

Enlightened

I will take one.

If I wanted to just use the 3 Sharks and no Pot (for dimming, correct?) that would be ok as well?

Im not big into the dimming stuff... but you could use this with say 3 of the "d" size Li-Ion's from DX or KD?

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

drmalenko, this will work fine for 3 Sharks, or similar sized board, without dimming. You'll have more room for wiring.

This installed in front of the switch where the stock bulb tower normally is, so it is independent of the cell compartment.

I've gone ahead and placed an order for a run, so this "interest thread" is now more an introduction, and I'll convert it to a sales thread when the parts are ready.

sadtimes

Enlightened

drmalenko, this will work fine for 3 Sharks, or similar sized board, without dimming. You'll have more room for wiring.

This installed in front of the switch where the stock bulb tower normally is, so it is independent of the cell compartment.

I've gone ahead and placed an order for a run, so this "interest thread" is now more an introduction, and I'll convert it to a sales thread when the parts are ready.

Thank You, That is how I figured it would work... I will be in for at least 1..

Now if only the Sharks werent 60 buckaroos... lol... 9 amps = 180 just in driver boards... nice

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank You, That is how I figured it would work... I will be in for at least 1..

Now if only the Sharks werent 60 buckaroos... lol... 9 amps = 180 just in driver boards... nice

I think you were looking at the assembled Shark Buck/Remora price. The Shark Buck 3A is $27. Still not cheap, but better than $60.