Just wanted to share my story...

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
Last night, my friends and I drove to a forest at night. It was 6:00PM when we got there. And there were only 2 cars left on the parking lot because people leave as soon as it is starting to get dark. And I never saw anyone there with a flashlight. And we go there pretty often. So I guess people are scared of being left out in the dark with no light.:crackup:There is a 2.5 mile "difficult" trail to hike up a mountainous hike to the destination, a beautiful 120 acre lake. No problem for us, we almost run up there.:D While hiking the trail, we saw 2 groups of people walking back, so we assumed they were from the only 2 cars left on the parking lot. So the place was ours for the night.:devil: It gets pitch dark here at 7:00PM now that it's autumn. :candle: There was 5 of us. I took my SF LX2. My best friend took his Olight M30 Triton. My other friend had a cheapo led flashlight. Giving out maybe 5 lumens. lol.

So we had the 3 lights, and got to the lake. First we chopped a medium sized tree down with a small hand axe. Then we made a campfire near the lake, using the tree's firewood and leaves. (At least the tree didn't go to waste.) After just chilling by the fire for a while, my friend and I took turns going up to the fire and stuck our flashlight among the smoke, while pointing our flashlights towards the sky to see the beam's "throw". It was amazing. Looked exactly like an advertisement for SureFire. Now that there was smoke in the air. My LX's beam was visible as a line of light throughout the forest. :devil: My friend dropped his M30 while getting a bit too excited by the fire. It hit the rocky ground, and rolled into the lake. :oops:He picked it up, and it worked with no problems.:party:

Then we continued hiking away from the trail throught the deep woods. And we found a boat, hidden in the woods right near the shore of the lake! It was a 12' aluminum jon boat chained to a thin tree. It did'nt have registration stickers on it so it was illegal for it to be there anyway. We axed the tree and got the boat on the water. We didn't find any oars though, so we made one out of wood.:laughing: Now well into the night, it was pitch black and we were alone in this forest. Lights constanly working. We got on the boat, all 5 of us, it felt overloaded as the water was about 3" from the edge of the boat.:poke:But the water was very calm this day, we decided to row it using our oar to the other side of the lake. This was about 100ft. It was a bit scary, as the boat was overloaded. All this happening in darkness, the only light sources, are 3 lights. When we got to the other side of the lake, we used the M30 to light up the shoreline. My friend got out and I threw a piece of rope to him, he pulled the boat closer to the shore so the rest of us could get out. Than one of us lighted up the scene with the most powerful light, my friend's M30 max mode. 700 lumens. While the rest of us dragged the boat into the bushy, forest. Now that we were done with that, we found the main trail again and hiked back.

At one point we heard a noise in the woods. My friend's M30's batteries were becoming weak. So I flashed the area with my LX2 and we saw 2 sets of eyes, staring at us. lol.:candle: 2 white tailed deer most likely. We spot them almost every time we're there at night. They just stop and stare as soon as we put our light beams on them. The good thing about having a strong flashlight in the woods is that at least the animal's eyes shine when you light them up so you know of their presence and don't freak out. :D Well there's my adventure story, hope you enjoyed it.. My LX2 was held with wet hands, and put near smoke, still works and looks great. Feels great to actually use the light.:)

Last edited:

Barbarian

Enlightened
Good story, but I hope you had at least one backup light in your pocket you neglected to tell us about. At the very least, you should have 2 spare cells on you if you carry only one light.

Also, it sounds like your situation last night would have been perfect for a headlamp.

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
Good story, but I hope you had at least one backup light in your pocket you neglected to tell us about. At the very least, you should have 2 spare cells on you if you carry only one light.

Also, it sounds like your situation last night would have been perfect for a headlamp.

No backup light, and no cells. But the LX2 had brand new cells inside. And we all agreed, that it was a fricking hassle holding the light in our hand when we needed our hands! On the way back we did talk about the new SF headlamp and how awesome it would be. Thanks for the advise, next time I'll be sure to have a backup.

Barbarian

Enlightened
Backup lights (and batteries) are a lot easier to carry in the fall and the winter. :thumbsup:

Early darkness, cool weather, and jackets = :twothumbs

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is an interesting story, but a little crazy.
IMHO you were careless. Did you think if the boat sink off?
Be careful next time!

For hiking I also think is better get headlamps for hands-free, then your LX2 could be a backup. And a nice backup.

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
And a stolen boat! LOL! Just kidding! Where did all of this take place?

I'd rather keep that a :sssh:. If someone is willing to leave a boat in the middle of nowhere, they have to expect it to be found and used, or abused. lol. We never took the boat with us, it's still there, just in a different spot. :crackup:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was actually pretty freaked out when I first used a flashlight at night and found a pair of eyes staring at me, I took out my knife straight away. It turned out to be horses, lucky for me there's no foxes or Tigers in Sydney haha

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
No backup light, and no cells. But the LX2 had brand new cells inside. And we all agreed, that it was a fricking hassle holding the light in our hand when we needed our hands! On the way back we did talk about the new SF headlamp and how awesome it would be. Thanks for the advise, next time I'll be sure to have a backup.

I would have taken my new Zebralight H60w with a fresh 2600mAh cell and a thrower. The H60 can be used in a headband or clipped to a shirt or jacket. There are 2 alternatives for each of the 3 output settings - the brighter medium setting is good for 10 hours and the less bright one is good for 50 hours.

JeffInChi

Enlightened
It is an interesting story, but a little crazy.
IMHO you were careless. Did you think if the boat sink off?
Be careful next time!

For hiking I also think is better get headlamps for hands-free, then your LX2 could be a backup. And a nice backup.

Come on, weren't you ever young?

I remember I went in my friends canoe out unto a lake in the dead of night with NO light except moonlight. Just myself, and my two friends, one of them being about 260 lbs and me and my other friend weighing in at about 200 apiece. This was a good idea because my friend just bought the canoe earlier in the day and we were all about 18 :D.

None of us had ever been in a canoe, none of us knew how to properly get into the canoe either, and my 260 lbs friend couldn't keep his balance to save his life. We "drifted" about 50 feet from the dock, trying to counter my friends swaying of the canoe until - splash. Capsized. :shakehead

Luckily the only foresight we had was to put our keys and wallets in a floating waterproof bag. I also tied the tackle box to the canoe, which was also retrieved. However the fishing poles, and my buddy's left shoe, are still m.i.a.

Young kids do dumb stuff, it's a good way to get hurt, but also a great way to learn.

P.S. I don't blame you for snatching the boat, i've been seeing the same boats chained to trees at one of the lakes I go to since the mid 80's. Still illegal though.:whistle:

If thats the most reckless thing you do in life, I think you'll be alright.

Jethro

Newly Enlightened
Very nice story! I am awaiting the delivery of my LX2 this week and can't wait to put it to work. Although I have my own boat that I will use at night.

R@ndom

Enlightened
I was actually pretty freaked out when I first used a flashlight at night and found a pair of eyes staring at me, I took out my knife straight away. It turned out to be horses, lucky for me there's no foxes or Tigers in Sydney haha

you gotta be real careful with dropbears mate.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story, but let me just say, Im fairly young, but im one of the ones who come prepared, and is usually picking up after the crazi-er ones who do stuff like that.I read equipped .org too much, go figure...:cool:

as they say, its all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

This is the kinda a story that CAN end up as a "5 people are reported missing......" on the news, so, please be careful!

but worst of all....ONLY ONE LIGHT?!

come on, you gotta do us proud and at LEAST have a photon in your pocket...:)

Crenshaw

xpawel18x

Newly Enlightened
Great story, but let me just say, Im fairly young, but im one of the ones who come prepared, and is usually picking up after the crazi-er ones who do stuff like that.I read equipped .org too much, go figure...:cool:

as they say, its all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

This is the kinda a story that CAN end up as a "5 people are reported missing......" on the news, so, please be careful!

but worst of all....ONLY ONE LIGHT?!

come on, you gotta do us proud and at LEAST have a photon in your pocket...:)

Crenshaw

I bought a SF E1B Backup (since it's nice and small, throws well for its size) It will always be with me when I take the bigger and better LX2 from now on. :thumbsup:

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on, weren't you ever young?

Yep, indeed, I made some mistakes, but not so serious, maybe that's why I'm alive. :D

I can't say this is correct, because as a friend of firefighters that I am, I've seen many cases where people lost their lives in acts like this.

Fun with responsability :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Dioni

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
People that treat nature like this make me :( :scowl: :mad:

People that think nature is their personal sand box to destroy at will make me :banghead: :hairpull:

I think a little:whoopin:and some :twak: might help to curb this ridiculous behavior.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a little:whoopin:and some :twak: might help to curb this ridiculous behavior.
They don't get that. That's what's wrong with them. No concept of personal responsibility.