help! RA 170 tactical not working

chef4850

Enlightened
I recieved my RA 170 clicky yesterday and as of one hour ago it has stopped working. I have cleanned all contacts, fresh battery, etc. Here is what is happening. If I open the light up and put it back together the light comes on but when I tighten the battery tube all the way the light goes out and will not come on. Am I right in assuming there is something wrong with the switch? Can anyone help me please.

Chef

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
What kind of help are you expecting?

Send it back, it's a turd.
Consider buying something with better Quality Control.
For such a forum darling I'm unimpressed with these Clickys.

I'm sure all the*fans will pile on and tell you what a great light this is but that's my opinion!
To be totally fair, Henry's Customer Service seems to be top notch so there should be NO WORRIES getting it fixed but the entire point I'm making is that you shouldn't need to get a brand new light fixed so soon and NEED that CS, especially from such a small 'boutique' manufacturer.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, open the lamp, get the positive contact and simply short-circuit the back of the battery with the non-anodized aluminium of the head. There should be light then, if the switch is the problem and not the head. I maybe wrong though, didn't try it myself with the Ra.

Disassemble once more (if you put the light together meanwhile), wait more than 60 seconds and try a factory reset. It's tricky to perform, you may need more than one attempt, read the manual how it is done and try.

If that doesn't succeed, contact Henry... :sigh:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of help are you expecting?

Send it back, it's a turd.
Consider buying something with better Quality Control.
For such a forum darling I'm unimpressed with these Clickys.

I'm sure all the fanboys will pile on and tell you what a great light this is but that's my opinion!
To be totally fair, Henry's Customer Service seems to be top notch so there should be NO WORRIES getting it fixed but the entire point I'm making is that you shouldn't need to get a brand new light fixed so soon and NEED that CS, especially from such a small 'boutique' manufacturer.

nice attitude.:party:

they let you carry a gun?

chef4850

Enlightened
I have tried all of this. Did the reset thinking this was the problem. I get light when putting back together but once the light goes out it is out for good. No response from the switch.

Chef

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's too bad :sick:. I agree, you should not have to deal with this and no one can do anything to alleviate the disappointment of getting a dud (whatever the cause). On the positive side, Henry will take care of it.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried all of this. Did the reset thinking this was the problem. I get light when putting back together but once the light goes out it is out for good. No response from the switch.
It's the switch, or one of the leads connected to it.

The light coming on momentarily when you screw the head onto the body is normal, even on correctly functioning light. The Clicky head is under constant power, and that initial temporary light just verifies that power is available.

fireboltr

Enlightened
Back the battery tube/ switch off a 1/4 turn and then back on, see if the light comes on (working like a twisty). Try this a few times see if it switches modes.
If it does call Henry @ RA, this is a known issue that plagues like 2-3% of the lights. It has to do with the "wire" through the bat tube. Unfortunately it doesn't rear its ugly head until after it has been used. Henry WILL make it right, a new tail section is all it takes.
Happened to one of my several RA clicky's.... Just used another "tube" till the new one showed up.

The only other thing that it could be is what happened to one of my clicky's once....
Click it HARD a few times..... Its almost like the switch "hung up".

Hope this all helps......

All in all Henry WILL take care of you and make things right, always has and always will. Henry is right up there with Gene Malkoff, he's not happy unless your happy. He will do whatever it takes (within reason) to make things right.

chef4850

Enlightened
Nothing seems to be working. Think the switch is DOA. The bezel is very "off center" does anyone think Henry would do anything about this.

Chef

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
...The bezel is very "off center" does anyone think Henry would do anything about this.

Chef

Does it affect the functioning of the light???

It left the shop with Henry's blessing, isn't that good enough?

..you want a beauty queen or a manly tool?!

I've got an idea, put that gigantic chrome clip on it and you won't even begin to notice the bezel! :crackup:

batmanacw

Enlightened
Does it affect the functioning of the light???

It left the shop with Henry's blessing, isn't that good enough?

..you want a beauty queen or a manly tool?!

I've got an idea, put that gigantic chrome clip on it and you won't even begin to notice the bezel! :crackup:
What is with the attitude? I have not been around enough to see such childish behavior on this site. If you don't like the light, why be a jerk to the guy asking questions. Just move on.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
The "attitude" is to make a point, but I've probably over done it, so I will take your advise and move on. Thanks.