North Korean Military "tactical" flashlight?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
got a glimpse of it at the N.K. 70th Anniversary parade promo.
What can it be?

North Korean Military flashlight.jpg

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm, doesn't seem to add up. We've got a short-barrel AK of some sort I think (AK-74?). Plus a mounted light. So far so good. ....But then a big long-range scope to top it off??

Also, no pressure-pad switch (far as I can see) on the light. So he either has to reach awkwardly with his left hand around to the light, or move his trigger hand up to the light to activate it, which would mean he's unable to shoot while he's doing that (should the need suddenly arise).

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not see any issues here, the scope can be 3-9, it works close range as well, at max setting it works as a spotting scope. thou this gun is not an accurate weapon by any means, 200 yards is about how far you can aim at best.
as far as light, no need for pressure switch, the guy can easily reach tail switch with his thumb, without losing ability to keep the target in crosshairs. As for the light itself, could be anything, it could be a china's or north korean's product of MIC that you wont see available to public.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Most likely, something made in North Korea, based off of an existing design that they simply reverse engineered.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm, doesn't seem to add up. We've got a short-barrel AK of some sort I think (AK-74?). Plus a mounted light. So far so good. ....But then a big long-range scope to top it off??
Exactly. A scoped, foregrip AK-74U? What could be better for CQB/room clearing than looking thru a scope! A RDS certainly, or other "both eyes open" sight. Reminds me of those idiotic shows with assault teams prepped with scoped weapons clearing houses. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They're putting on a show. Dude has his right hand near the trigger with his left hand up front with a thumb activated light. It's likely that when they are facing off against a South Korean force (in real life) they're at least 100 yards apart, hence the scope.

My pop was a marksman and got practice by taking care of ground hogs on farms. He always looked through a scope at 50 yards or more.

Being it's North Korea that might be a plastic replica and no batteries in the light. It appears to be a North Korea copy of a Scout light though. I say replica because a close look at the light and one can see it's not aligned with the barrel. So at 100 yards it would be shining well over top of the would be enemy unless said enemy is 10 feet (3 meters) tall.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude has his right hand near the trigger
Just to be particular, I'm pretty sure I see that finger "inside the trigger guard" in that photo. That's the technical violation. Anyone with any training doesn't do that with any gun, under any circumstances without intent to fire. "Near the trigger", but along side of the trigger guard (like Barney's doing) is quite acceptable. It's a 'minor' distinction, but a critical one. Both were merely 'photoshoots', but that doesn't matter. The rules still apply.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Above his trigger that may be the safety switch that might be on. Flick it up to switch it off. Pull it down to re-engage it.
I think you're missing my point, Byk. The 'safety' and its status is irrelevent to the training I'm referring to. It matters not whether or not the safety is engaged, whether or not the gun is 'loaded', or anything else. HTH.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those gun's selectors are in single shot mode, safety off, they could be firing them at that particular moment, who knows,

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I legally buy one of these from DPRKorea? Maybe copy of Zenitco 2D or some kind of Keller Streamlight?

As for fingers and triggers I'll never forget watching an ISIS video where (most likely a real policeman) is shooting men one after another at a pier but he always managed to keep his finger outside the trigger guard in between executions. Very professional!

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides the misconfigured setup (scoped, inaccurate short barreled carbine), on closer inspection the "shooter" can't possibly be looking through the scope. His head isn't behind the scope, it's offset at a 40-45 degree angle! One can only hope all the NK soldiers are equipped and trained like this.
1690721008081.png