Key chain flashlight saved my dentist's life

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to the dentist today for a 6-month checkup and cleaning.

The dentist invited me in from the waiting room, sat me
down in the dental chair and said, "Bob, you will never receive another bill from me again."

I wondered if he was giving up his dental practice and asked him to explain.

My dentist then told me how the small key chain flashlight I had given him at an earlier appointment had saved his life and the life of a friend. He and his friend were driving through Wisconsin on a cold, dark night last month. The road was slippery with
ice and his car slid off the road, down a 35 foot embankment, and landed upside down in a river.

My dentist said it was pitch black inside and the car was filling with water. He had the presence of mind to remember the coin cell flashlight that he carried with him daily. He and his friend used it to light the inside of the car and escape to shore.

They waited for help on the desolate road until they flagged down a passerby who transported them to a hospital. They were treated for minor injuries and hypothermia. The car was a total loss.

The dentist showed me his flashlight, rusty screws and all. The light had grown dim from prolonged use. I always carry a spare key chain light so I gave him a new one.

It has been my practice to buy key chain lights in quantity and give them out one-by-one to individuals, telling them how useful a flashlight can be. My dentist put his light to the best use.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Awesome story.

If I was in your shoes, I'd get him an Arc AAA and some lithium AAAs for the holidays, so the batteries last longer and he truly will always have it, ready for use.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
That is such a cool story....was it a P----n with the 2016's or 2032 in it? You also had a thread that I am pretty sure you started that tipped a lot of us off to the Target Everyready's with Cree's and OP reflector scavenger hunt...that was fun- and they are truly really nice lights.
If you ever go to home depot- check out their clearance stuff- I discovered energizer portable power packs for cell phones that contain 2 AA Energizer Lithium cells on clearance for $2.40- makes the cells $1.20 each and the body has 2 little blue rectangular led's on them that I am trying to put to use. Thanks for sharing!lovecpf

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs
yeah maybe something waterproof and long lasting. nothing big. he probably carried it because it was so small.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Awesome story.

If I was in your shoes, I'd get him an Arc AAA and some lithium AAAs for the holidays, so the batteries last longer and he truly will always have it, ready for use.

Great story. :thumbsup:

+1 on getting him a light upgrade, I'm sure he'd really appreciate it now. :huh:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent story--thanks for sharing it with us! :twothumbs

Out of curiosity, what flashlight did he have?

-Robert

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
great story!
I think he deserves a better light now!

rusty screws.. sounds like a fauxton.

OceanView

Enlightened
...his car slid off the road, down a 35 foot embankment, and landed upside down in a river...
Holy crap! Kudos to your dentist and his buddy for making it out alive! That sounds worse than those military "dunk tanks" for pilots and flight crews. Wow, just one little light made all the difference, eh? :thumbsup:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent story--thanks for sharing it with us! :twothumbs

Out of curiosity, what flashlight did he have?

I had given the dentist a Lighthound Keychain Flashlight. I bought a few dozen of them and a few dozen of a smaller type (which I can no longer find at Lighthound's web site).

I have been giving these keychain lights out to friends, family, and others as fellow CPFers do.
Glad it worked despite having been wet from river water.

Though I carry 2 larger flashlights, I always keep one keychain light light in my pocket to give away and another on my jacket zipper pull. The latter is handy for reading maps in a dark car at night without having to fumble with a larger flashlight.

nbp

Flashaholic
If he was serious about never billing you again, you owe that guy a McGizmo! It'll be paid for in two visits! :poke: :twothumbs

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he was serious about never billing you again, you owe that guy a McGizmo! It'll be paid for in two visits! :poke: :twothumbs

I, too, wondered about his offer. But, I feel pretty good about how he used the flashlight.

Our family has dental insurance anyway. ;)

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow.... every story about lights saving lives should be stickied. ;)

Perhaps you should introduce CPF to him or get him an edc.... if anything else, when there's a power failure at his clinic, he won't need to dig in your mouth in the dark. :green:

oronocova

Enlightened
Great story. Just goes to show you also that the "best light" is the one you have with you.