• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

More Mokume Madness

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
This build is actually a continuation of this thread.

Forced myself to try to complete this Tri-Color Mokume Gane Light, which was started a long time ago.

Today I completed the machining, LE build, etc., and was left with the final task--how to finish the surface of this light.

As built, the light looked like this, after buffing, but before any etching:

Polished-2.jpg

Polished-4.jpg

You can clearly see the three different colors of the three metals of the Mokume Gane--copper, brass and nickel silver. While I like highly polished lights, if left in this state, the light would soon show a lot of scratch marks, since these are very soft metals and a highly reflective surface would just make every little scratch clearly visible.

My first completed Mokume Gane light, the Kuukuu Killer, was both etched and patinated, with chemicals. As a learning experience, it came out fairly well, but this time I wanted to try something a bit different, and without using any patina.

So the game plan was to etch, clean, and then etch in a different solution, even deeper. Then clean, buff lightly, clean off the compound and see what it looked like.

Here are some shots after the first etch:

FirstEtch-2.jpg

FirstEtch-5.jpg

FirstEtch-6.jpg

What these photos do not convey very well is that the etch seemed to show the crystaline structure of all three metals extremely clearly--creating a multitude of colored facets. To be honest, it was very nice after the first etch, but not quite deep enough.

So, after a clean-up, it went on to etching solution #2, which was half the time of the previous soak, because this solution was a lot more aggressive. After a quick neutralizing, the light was buffed lightly and then cleaned of the compound. Here is the final result:

CleanedBuffed-3.jpg

CleanedBuffed-6.jpg

CleanedBuffed-10.jpg

CleanedBuffed-9.jpg

Texture?? Does anyone want some texture? :crackup:

Even these photos don't do the surface justice--it is actually rather shiny in where the copper layer is on the outermost surface. Very fascinating result, to say the least.

Yeah, for those who might wonder--it will be put up for sale in B/S/T tomorrow, after I have a chance to take some natural daylight photos.
There were all taken on my lathe's crossslide, using Reveal lights, or flash, so the colors aren't really that good.

And, oh, the threads are in perfect condtion--they were not etched:

Threads.jpg

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet!

How does it feel in the hand? (Or do you have to wear gloves to touch it? :) )

Greg

Well, of course, it is a White Glove light. :devil:

Since it was buffed on the Baldor, it is actually quite smooth over 99% of the surface, there are a couple sharp edges on the tip of the head, but I'll just rework that area to ensure that it, too, is smooth to the touch.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
:drool: :eek:oo: :twothumbs

Man, I love Mokume Gane - it's got this instantly timeless look to it. :cool:

Nice work Fred... I'm with eMack on this one - :popcorn:

:thumbsup: john

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Mick--and everyone else that has commented also.

This is such a fascinating material to work with, and much, much more difficult than one can imagine. You would think that working with something as soft as copper, brass and nickel silver would be a snap, but it isn't--evidently the nickel silver is just slightly harder than the other two metals, and that creates a lot of grabbing from the tool bit. And in some cases, can even result in the piece being pulled out of the chuck, or collet. :-( Don't ask me how I know that. :devil:

But, when I get something as interesting as this etch, it keeps me going:

MG14500-Etched-6.jpg

You can actually see the crystal faces after the etching--they look like little jewels in the right light.