Lens Problem with my Fenix TK20

Vapor

Newly Enlightened
So ive been searching through the forums all afternoon to see if there were other people with the same problem as me but I haven't found any.

Basically I picked up a Fenix TK20 from REI today that i bought online. However, the lens is not on correctly and it rattles around every time i move the flashlight. If i put my finger on the lens and twist it, the lens moves around and around in a circle. This is not only annoying but also makes me seriously question whether it's waterproof at all. If it's supposed to be waterproof to IPX-8 standards then a faulty lens would negate that. I have tried to remove the head and see whats wrong with it but the head won't budge at all.

So basically now i don't know what to do. Do I bring the flashlight back to REI and do they contact Fenix? (Fenix's website says to contact the dealer that sold you the light) Or do I submit a claim directly to Fenix? If they ask me to send the flashlight am I supposed to pay for shipping all the way to China? This is my first Fenix flashlight and I must say I'm not very happy with it. Can anyone out here offer me any suggestions?

Thanks.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
I think you got a faulty unit. You should return to the retailer and ask for refund or replacement. You should not need to pay anything extra to get it replace nor should the retailer ask you to.
Fyi, the head are thread-locked, you will need proper tool to unscrew to access the lens and reflector. But note that doing so may (actually, most likely) void the warranty. see picture below...
TK20HeadThread.jpg

Last edited:

burntoshine

Enlightened
i bought a TK20 through 4sevens about a month ago and don't have any problems. i've never had a problem with a fenix and i've bought a lot of them. my fenix LOD went through an entire wash cycle by accident and kept 100% of the water out. :)

your lens should definitely not be loose like that.

take it back to REI. maybe you should call them on the phone first and explain the problem; i'm sure they have a specific way of dealing with defective returns.

i hope you get yours fixed. the TK20 is a great light!

Vapor

Newly Enlightened
yeah that picture shows what i'm unable to move. Thanks for it.

But i just called REI and they basically told me that they don't ship back products to manufacturers for repairs. Plus they are now sold out of Fenix TK20 flashlights so I can't get an exchange. Basically I am completely out of luck. Now I have to deal with Fenix in China on my own.... I emailed them but haven't gotten a response. Has anyone ever dealt with Fenix directly? Thanks again.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
You must have gotten an oddball as this is the first I have heard of any real problems with the TK20. I'd just take it back and exchange it.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
This is my first Fenix flashlight and I must say I'm not very happy with it. Can anyone out here offer me any suggestions?
I know how you feel. I was hugely disappointed when my TK20 turned up in the mail having a very dark large shadow in middle of the hotspot making it very poor at pinpointing objects at long distance (which is the usage I bought it for).

I was able to fix my problem by refocussing by untwisting slightly those two components in the picture that are threadlocked. I used two pairs of multigrips with rubber sheeting in the jaws.

They were very tightly locked and it took a fair amount of force to twist but they only need to mobe a little way to fix my problem so the threadlock still holds them in position.

Unfortunately your problem would likely mean taking the two pieces completely apart to reposition whatever's loose inside (unless they are simply not screwed together fully) so you'll probably want to send it back -- unless you're like me and don't care about warranty and are happy to rip things apart.

loanshark

Enlightened
I would send it back for a refund and buy it from a dealer that follows Fenix's instructions.

Vapor

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately I can't take it back for an exchange since REI no longer has them in stock. I also dont want to return it for a refund because I got a fairly good deal on it and used a gift card as well. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with Fenix directly for warranty purposes? I think that's my last and only option here. Thanks for the suggestions guys, appreciate it.

Ziemas

Enlightened
Unfortunately I can't take it back for an exchange since REI no longer has them in stock. I also dont want to return it for a refund because I got a fairly good deal on it and used a gift card as well. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with Fenix directly for warranty purposes? I think that's my last and only option here. Thanks for the suggestions guys, appreciate it.
Huh? Why on earth would you send it to Fenix when REI most likely will get you one from another store. Have you asked them about getting one sent to you from another location? They are known to have great customer service.

Vapor

Newly Enlightened
Huh? Why on earth would you send it to Fenix when REI most likely will get you one from another store. Have you asked them about getting one sent to you from another location? They are known to have great customer service.

I did not actually purchase the Fenix light in an REI store. I purchased it online from REI's website and had it shipped to my local store where I picked it up. The actual REI stores do not carry Fenix flashlights. They no longer have any stock of the Fenix TK20 on their website.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Vapor,
my prior experience dealing with Fenix direct is they will take from several weeks to month(s) to get something replace/exchange. Moreover, they do not sent the items directly (at least in my region: SEA), but they will ask their "distributor" to sent it (if the distributor has it), the process:

User ==> Fenix ==> Distributor ==> Reseller (if any) ==> User

Unlike EagleTac and Nitecore, where they actually sent the replacement parts directly to user unless otherwise requested not to. :D

I prefer dealing with reseller than Fenix directly as the reseller are usually more responsive unless its something of sales/marketing nature. My local reseller help replace my 'noisy' TK20 tail-cap in 5 minutes no question asked.

Btw, it maybe helpful for you to capture photos or video to illustrate your problem(s) when communicating with Fenix directly. :poke:

Yes, I too suggest to get a refund and get another TK20 somewhere else.

Vapor

Newly Enlightened
So Fenix actually replied saying that they wanted to fix my problem and were saying they might send over an extra head and I would send my defective one back. Whether or not they actually will is to be seen, but i'll hold out hope. I'm not sure what REI is going to say to this but i just hope that I can avoid REI alltogether and deal with Fenix directly.

Ziemas

Enlightened
So Fenix actually replied saying that they wanted to fix my problem and were saying they might send over an extra head and I would send my defective one back. Whether or not they actually will is to be seen, but i'll hold out hope. I'm not sure what REI is going to say to this but i just hope that I can avoid REI alltogether and deal with Fenix directly.
I'm sorry, but you make no sense at all. REI has top notch customer service but you don't want to use it? Why on earth wouldn't you simply contact REI and either ask if one is available, or quickly get a refund and order one from elsewhere?

Good luck getting your parts from China, and no complaining about the massive wait and high shipping charges.

Last edited:

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry, but you make no sense at all. REI has top notch customer service but you don't want to use it? Why on earth wouldn't you simply contact REI and either ask if one is available, or quickly get a refund and order one from elsewhere?

Good luck getting your parts from China, and no complaining about the massive wait and high shipping charges.

:thinking: How does he not make any sense at all?

The TK20 is no longer in stock. Now how can REI replace the light if they don't have any more in stock? At most REI will refund him the purchase price. I just checked the REI website and its no longer listed. The sale was through the REI Outlet, so its safe to say REI will not be getting any more.

Good luck with China? At least Fenix is willing to help resolve a issue. I'd say return the light and purchase from a dealer who's willing to help resolve issues with products that they sell.

Last edited:

Ziemas

Enlightened
:thinking: How does he not make any sense at all?

The TK20 is no longer in stock. Now how can REI replace the light if they don't have any more in stock? At most REI will refund him the purchase price. I just checked the REI website and its no longer listed. The sale was through the REI Outlet, so its safe to say REI will not be getting any more.

Good luck with China? At least Fenix is willing to help resolve a issue. I'd say return the light and purchase from a dealer who's willing to help resolve issues with products that they sell.
Why doesn't he just get a refund from REI if they don't have anymore in stock? They are known for their great CS. It's totally bizarre that he is unwilling to do this. Did he mod the light in some way that would void the warranty? That's the only reason I can imagine for not simply returning it locally and ordering a new one from elsewhere.

Do you have any idea of the cost of sending packages overseas via USPS? How about the time? $15 to send it, at least two weeks for Fenix to receive it, however long they take to process it, and then at least another two weeks back to the States.

How is all of this easier, cheaper, or more effective than just going to REI, getting your money back, firing up your computer and ordering one from a US based seller who has it in stock. Less than a week later he'll have a working light compared with at the least a month and $15 more.

That's how it makes no sense. No sense in the time and effort wasted, no sense in the money spent, no sense at all.

Last edited:

Latest posts