Power outages, bad weather, some thoughts...

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all...

You may or may not have been aware of the extreme weather the East Coast (mainly New-England-ish) of the Unites States has been receiving lately...

Well, here's what's happened... My town, and many of the surrounding areas were without power for several days straight, due to many downed power lines, from the massive quantity of heavy, wet snow we've received. In my area, it started snowing midday Friday, at which time it was warm enough that the snow was actually a mix of snow and sleet. It was coming down heavily enough that our high-school principal apparently considered sending us home early; this did not, however, happen.

By the time I got home (~2:30) most of the roads were beginning to collect a layer of sleet. By the time my younger sister got home at ~3:20,there was 1/2 an inch of snow and slush on the main roads. By 4:00, we saw our Borough maintenance department driving the salt truck around. Overnight we received 17+ inches of snow (depending where we measured).

Now, we live in an old town... The infrastructure, for the most part is aging, and poorly maintained. The wiring is really weird... My hill, as well as many of the areas behind us, and across the Monongahela river lost power, due to MANY downed trees. A friend called me at 8:45 saying he'd just lost power. We called my grandparents Saturday and learned they had lost power at ~8:15. We lost power at 11:45.
Big deal, right? Power outages in the past have lasted a few hours, max... Not this one. We went without power for 4 days. My grandparents are still without power...

Remember that weird wiring I mentioned? A section of stores and homes at the bottom of our hill never lost power... A neighborhood a few blocks away never lost power... We got our power back midday Tuesday, but a row of houses 2 blocks down and 1 over had power Sunday night...

Anyway... Enough on that stuff... Now to Flashlights... :devil:

Because of some poor grades, I've been grounded from my computer, and PSP, and (oh-noes...) flashlights for about 3 weeks... Anyway, my dad let me break them out on Friday, because we were all still up and about, and without my collection, we had a 2D Mag with a "3-watt" Nite-ize drop-in, my sisters headlamp, and my dad's Coast hocus-focus light... :)shakehead)

So, I got to use my HDS B42XR with P4, my sister got my mini-Mag LED, my mom my Ti-Quark AA, the headlamps (mine: Princeton tec Aurora, hers: Princeton tec Fuel) were placed in the bathroom and kitchen, respectively. My dad insisted on keeping his Coast light, and we let my neighbor borrow our incandescent 2D Mag ( my dad's been holding out on me...)
Not having charged my Duraloops in about 1 1/2 months, the ones in my Ti-Quark, and LD20 were dead. My mom didn't tell me, but replaced the Duraloop with an alkaline AA (Duracell, yikes) in my Quark... I placed the newly found AA in my to-be-recharged stack, and put a set of lithium AA's in my LD20.

Now a discussion of batteries...
Conventional wisdom states that any emergency flashlights should use AAs, as they are easy to find, basically everywhere, and usually cheap. CR123 based lights are not considered good in this situation.

However, by Saturday, my dad and I needed to venture out to find propane (1lb tanks) for the small heater in my grandma's room. We drove to 3 different mall shopping area's... Most, if not all stores, and gas stations were closed, due to lack of power. Many sections of the highway's and back roads were down to 1 lane, due to the amount of snow on the road, and no place to plow it to, and the many downed trees.
Home Depot was open, but only because they had a backup generator.

They were out of: propane (1 (they even sold all of their 1lb propane soldering torches/propane tank combos) and 20lb tanks), propane heaters, kerosene heaters, D cells, almost all C cells (though these were much easier to find than D's) and almost all their AA cells in the front of the store. We managed to find several packs of AA's, and 1 4pack of D cells in the back of the store. However, nobody had purchased any Lithium AA cells (probably thought they were too expensive, 4 for $10, or 25 for $10). AAA cells were also difficult to find.

CR123, while moderately expensive ($6 cell), were available in much higher quantities, at both Home Depot stores we went to... Also, the Loews we went to had a large stock of 2packs of SF123's at $2.50/battery. I picked up two extra packs of SF123's, and a 4 pack of Lithium AA's for my lights...

Back to the lights...

Regulated, multi-mode lights shine (pun, I know) in this situation... The ability to tailstand, or prop up, a light and have enough output to illuminate a room, as well as low outputs for walking around the house are a great way to conserve batteries, and still be safe... Even not having power for 4 days, I got to show my family that. My mother and sister alternated between the Ti-Quark and Mag-LED, usually keeping the Quark in the kitchen, and bouncing the light off the underside of our white cabinets, while cooking and cleaning dishes. I placed some matte scotch tape on the lens of my LD20, and had a beautiful flood light to place on a shelf and point at a wall...
My HDS light was excellent for around the house. The even spacing of outputs and excellent efficiency meant that I have not used a single battery up, even having owned it for more almost a month, and using it quite frequently on maximum setting and Primary for the last 4 days.

So, my thoughts on the whole experience have led me to conclude this...

1) CR123 based lights may not be a bad thing, for emergency lights. However, you have to have a multi-mode light, and several spares.

2) Lithium AAs are excellent. They work much better in the cold, and allow for extended runtimes when using high outputs continuously.

3) Single cell lights are much better for tailstanding, unless you like carrying around a glass to hold your light.

4) Regulated lights, even running on alkalines, are much better than unregulated (IMHO), as many allow multiple modes of output, maintain their brightness for longer, and allow you to get more energy out of a cell, before it dims to unusable brightness... I changed batteries in my LD20 once, once they were no longer able to run at high for more than a few minutes, before dropping in output. My dad changed the AAA's in his Coast light 4 times, although arguably, my light was used 2x as much.

5) Make sure you have a back up source of heat and power BEFORE an emergency happens... My dad managed to find a kerosene heater by Tuesday, but paid over $200 for it. Generators were sold out everywhere, as were all sizes of propane and kerosene heaters. Propane was also exceedingly hard to find, and, while many gas stations did have kerosene and gasoline, they were unable to pump it, from lack of power...

6) You can lose a lot of weight and build a lot of muscle trying to keep your self warm. Even in many layers, and eating much larger portions than I do normally, I lost 5 lbs after shoveling a crap load of snow, and doing countless, push ups, sit ups, and who-knows-how-long jogging in place.

7) If you lose power, take the ice tray out of the freezer, and dump it. I know that sounds stupid, but once it gets warm enough for that ice to melt, it will cause a huge mess in your kitchen.

8) Coolers full of food, buried in snow are not as weird looking as you think. We started doing this Saturday afternoon, and by Sunday, all our neighbors had done the same thing. Even the ones with generators.

9) No matter what, do not run a generator in your garage, next to any windows, or on your covered porch. It's a bad idea. I walked by three houses that had done this, and one that had done a combination, with a bunch of 1kW generators.

Feel free to discuss what you've done, your thoughts on emergency lights and batteries, as well as generators, and alternative heat sources. and any past experiences in other circumstances that are similar.
:popcorn:

*******Mods:
I realize that this thread had a lot of text on batteries, and flashlights too. That's why i put it in General Discussion, however, if you feel that it might be better suited elsewhere, please feel free to move. Thanks...

copperfox

Enlightened
Can you explain why not (#9)?

Edit: I understand generators produce exhaust, so obviously they should not be run inside a closed garage. But I don't understand the bit about being near windows or under a roofed porch...

Last edited:

andrewnewman

Enlightened
So your "power outage" experience is, in fact, very similar to mine. Long ago I learned to keep a reserve of "emergency" batteries on hand. These days it is pretty easy and the most economical ones (assuming you can plan ahead) are mail-order CR123 primaries. I usually order around 10 at a time and try to keep between 15-20 on hand. They get used up throughout the year and you should rotate your inventory but they have a very good shelf live and if you purchase from a reputable manufacturer (other threads on this) they are reliable and long-lived.

One thing I have found that is invaluable for extended power outages is a headlight. Zebralight makes some awfully nice ones. The other thing to consider is that while CR123a lithium primaries are great for emergencies, for shorter power outages current LSD NIMH AA batteries are no slouch either. It's pretty easy and inexpensive to keep these on hand and fully charged.

We're just ramping up a modest winter storm here in CT. The inventory reads:

2 fully charged RCR123
17 fresh CR123a
12 fully charged AA Duraloops

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: Thanks for sharing your account of the power outage and snow storm, John_Galt. Interesting reading.

Yavox

Enlightened
CR123, while moderately expensive ($6 cell), were available in much higher quantities, at both Home Depot stores we went to...

Funny, but this is very similar to my experience with batteries when there is no power for several days. A few years ago I would bet on AA flashlights for that occassion (as the AAs are easies to buy), but after a few power outages it turned out that something which is relatively rare here (CR123) remains on the shop shelves for much longer - because people clean the shop from every D,C,AA and AAA, but most have no use for CR123s. They are not flashaholics...

redsfairlane

Newly Enlightened
Hi all...
It was coming down heavily enough that our high-school principal apparently considered sending us home early; this did not, however, happen.

You have my deepest sympathies for this :)

And thanks for sharing your thoughts on that other little thing :) Glad all are well.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you explain why not (#9)?

Edit: I understand generators produce exhaust, so obviously they should not be run inside a closed garage. But I don't understand the bit about being near windows or under a roofed porch...

Pressure differences due to wind and other variables can cause the house to suck air from the outside. Carbon monoxide can be introduced into the building through an open window, leaky door, soffitts, etc. This can kill you in short order, and is particularly dangerous if you are sleeping when this happens.

The generator should always be well clear of the building when running. Using a CO alarm is always a good idea as well, especially in any area where someone will be sleeping.

Peter

derangboy

Enlightened
Thanks for sharing your experience!
I spent a couple of winters weekending at a cabin with no services. Heat and cooking was provided by a beautiful Aga stove (stoked every 38 minutes throughout the first night!). I learned a lot about surviving without modern conveniences and I'll share a few with you here.

Transportation: My cars are always equipped with chains in addition to the usual first aid/ survival/ off-raod gear. Even in the summer, it doesn't take much mud to strand a Jetta. I also have an old Land Rover that is un-insured and un-registerd but, in a true emergency, I don't think it would be an issue. I generally keep 20-50 gallons of fuel on hand for each.

Heat: My BBQ is propane, so I have two 20lbs cylinders for it. One is almost always full. I can still cook and boil water or run a Catadyne in the fireplace.

Light: I hate to say it but my ex-girlfriend was right. Candles ARE great for light and heat. The shelf life beats any battery out there so I would always include them. I have a lot of things that use AA's so my new favorite light is the Surfire Saint. I also keep a few dozen CR123s on hand to power two other flashlights. I'll have to admit I do like having a few cheap AA flashlights on hand. There's something about holding an M4 over a 40' well that doesn't make me feel good...

Power: I have a small generator and both cars have a decent inverter wired in. I've really had little use for either so far.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Nice observations...we were without power for 7 days a couple of years back...My 50 year old gas cooktop (old style-pilot lit burners-no electronic thermocouple/ignitor), the fireplace and gas hot water heater saved the day. Good lessons learned in self reliance.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Nice observations...we were without power for 7 days a couple of years back...My 50 year old gas cooktop (old style-pilot lit burners-no electronic thermocouple/ignitor), the fireplace and gas hot water heater saved the day. Good lessons learned in self reliance.

Back when I lived in hurricane country I more than once appreciated a gas cooktop and hot water heater - really made life more palatable. Recognize this was relatively warm weather season so a generator was essential for keeping the refrigerator at least running.

Some great insights - I mostly have 123 based lights these days and given some of the potential runtimes of the Novatac, LF3XT, Creemator etc.. on low I know I've got light for days, not to mention some other long runtime options.

For cold weather gas logs and a propane grill sure do come in handy as well...

curiousone1

Newly Enlightened
Hi all...

You may or may not have been aware of the extreme weather the East Coast (mainly New-England-ish) of the Unites States has been receiving lately...

Thank you for sharing your experiences.....you see it in the news reports on TV and read about it in the paper, but something like this brings a whole new perspective.....

Living in northern Ohio, we too see some bad weather that comes off of the Great Lakes.....I think it's easy to forget how easy something like what you're experiencing can happen and how easy you can get caught off guard if you're not prepared. Again, thank you or sharing and I hope you guys get back to normal ASAP.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
You likely learned more during the power outage than you would have if you were in school. Valuable lesson- learning to adapt and improvise. When I found a grocery store with power- they were out of candles. Nevertheless- I knew where to to look where most others would not think- the Kosher food section and bought all of the long burning Maniscewitz white pure paraffin Shabbat candles.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR123's also have a 10 year shelf life, so you buy a pack of CR123's for emergency use and they will likely last until you are ready to use them.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
good reason to always keep lots of AAs 'in stock'

or 123s if you prefer, theyre only $1 each onlne.

+1 on multilevel lights

and op, you write very well

your dad is doing a good job,

buy him an ra when you get a chance ;)

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
and op, you write very well

Agreed. Your post is well organized and I enjoyed reading it.

Regarding the 1# propane bottles- invest in one of the refill adapters so you can refill them from a 20# tank. Buying propane 1# at a time is incredibly expensive and environmentally irresponsible. Refilling the bottles is pretty straightforward, and they only end up costing about $1 each to fill!

Refill adapter info

Peter

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
two words:
car charger.
A 12v AA/AAA nimh charger is something needed in a prolonged power outage as it is more efficient than a 120v charger hooked to an inverter. Get one that has decent LED lights that indicate cells are charged so you can leave it on the dash of the car so you can stay inside warm not having to wait for them to charge. make sure and charge batteries when you go shopping for supplies too. not being stocked up on batteries always is against the policy of the forum... LOL

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to live in the bush, and you have to be prepared to do without power for days sometimes (two weeks the longest). I live in town now but have the same 'Don't rely on someone else' attitude. I've got enough food and gas (propane) to last about 2-3 months and enough batteries to last about the same if I use only couple of lights for a few hours each day.
It pays to be prepared. Imagine you have something happen like what happened in Haiti.
Don't rely on others to get you out of trouble. If you live in a built up area and some disaster strikes, you know the shelves will be empty very quickly, but if you're prepared, no worries mate.