Night Hike in San Jose/Bay Area anyone?

JB5

Newly Enlightened
I went on one last year with a bunch of ya and had a great time. Is anyone up for doing it again?

John
Lets do Sat 24th at Almaden Quicksilver County Park. We can meet at the McAbee park entrance at sunset which is at 7:52. Since I am a newbie at planning something like this, can we do a roll call of who is in and who is a maybe? Just PM me or post in the thread and i will update this post with the list.

Here is a map link to the meeting location.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?addres...pines+drive&city=san+jose&state=ca&country=US

jb5
Keygrip
dandism
csshih
gswitter
kramer5150
pcc
bigchelis
shedevil
Weedle256
LowBat
CroMagnet

Last edited:

dandism

Enlightened
I heard about last year's. Its sounds like a lot of fun. I am definitely interested in going. :twothumbs

BeeMan458

Banned
I'm shy with groups out from behind the monitor, but if you can get permission from the parks people, I think the 2 1/4 mile loop at the end of McAbee (Almaden Valley where Meridian/Leland Park crosses Camden) would be a perfect place for a nighttime flashlight walk.

Another good area would be the Perk Ponds in Campbell, along the Los Gatos Creek trail by San Tomas Expressway and Hwy 17. Maybe a walk around Lake Almaden by Coleman and Almaden Expressway. A group could meet at the end of Winfield, coming in from the Colman end and walk from where Winfield ends to the Camden Avenue parking lot.

Each of these areas, to me, qualify as safe and would have lots of places to shine your lights. The only problem, they ask that folks not walk the trails at night. You know, the old, this park closes at sundown bit.

:mecry:

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I'm shy with groups out from behind the monitor, but if you can get permission from the parks people, I think the 2 1/4 mile loop at the end of McAbee (Almaden Valley where Meridian/Leland Park crosses Camden) would be a perfect place for a nighttime flashlight walk.

Another good area would be the Perk Ponds in Campbell, along the Los Gatos Creek trail by San Tomas Expressway and Hwy 17. Maybe a walk around Lake Almaden by Coleman and Almaden Expressway. A group could meet at the end of Winfield, coming in from the Colman end and walk from where Winfield ends to the Camden Avenue parking lot.

Each of these areas, to me, qualify as safe and would have lots of places to shine your lights. The only problem, they ask that folks not walk the trails at night. You know, the old, this park closes at sundown bit.

:mecry:

:thumbsup:

Almaden lake closes at sundown. They have chain-lock fences around the perimeter. Last years hike was at the trails at the end of McAbee. Its very desolate, lots of deer wildlife everywhere. Its fun to shine your light out across the fields and see all the little eyes looking back at you. Scorpoins and tarantulas too. If we do this one again someone has to being a UV light!!

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey! spread the word, copy and paste this into your siglines :p

[B.][U.RL="http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=269941"]Night Hike in San Jose/Bay Area anyone?[/URL][/B]

remove the period after b, and after u

dandism

Enlightened
hey! spread the word, copy and paste this into your siglines :p

[B.][U.RL="http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=269941"]Night Hike in San Jose/Bay Area anyone?[/URL][/B]

remove the period after b, and after u
done :D

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
I'm interested, it'll be a few days before I can actually confirm anything though. I'm 150 miles away so definitely need to coordinate a visit with family or friends to justify the trip...

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almaden lake closes at sundown. They have chain-lock fences around the perimeter. Last years hike was at the trails at the end of McAbee. Its very desolate, lots of deer wildlife everywhere. Its fun to shine your light out across the fields and see all the little eyes looking back at you.
...and maybe most importantly, there's very little light pollution.

Scorpoins and tarantulas too. If we do this one again someone has to being a UV light!!
I'll definitely bring one (or three).

JB5

Newly Enlightened
So since there is a bunch of interest:twothumbs, which evening should we plan 23rd or 24th?. I am open. Sounds like quicksilver would be the place to go again.

elumen8

Enlightened
Definitely interested, depending on the date.

JB

*by the way, I suggest bringing parts or lights you might want to swap or sell...I've often swapped parts with other members at our get-togethers. (I'm looking for a malkoff M30...hint hint)

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
There would be only so many lights i could bring...any requests?
The 23rd sounds fun, but I'd probably be open either day.

BeeMan458

Banned
Almaden lake closes at sundown. They have chain-lock fences around the perimeter.

FWIW, if you come in from the North, coming in under the Coleman bridge, from the end of the LightRail parking lot, the rangers don't lock that fence gate. Maybe one can get a permit to walk Lake Almaden at night. I know, a big pain.

You can walk the trail North from the LightRail parking lot behind the Lake Almaden apartment complex, towards Blossom Hill. The trail goes under Blossom Hill and comes up by the perk ponds where 85 goes over Pearl, behind Oakridge. Not much over a two mile trek and there's only commercial buildings lining the trail at this point; nobody to bother with the lights. It's the back side of the Water Co., who's offices are on Almaden Expressway, so you have some very long distances in which to throw your beams and not tick any homeowners off.

There's parking for about ten or fifteen cars where the trail comes out at Camden Avenue near Graystone Ln. Lots of nice tall trees and you're away from the houses along this section of the trail.

Just some more suggestions.

:)

Last edited: