LED alternative to gas lantern

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for an led alternative to a Coleman type gas lantern (the kind with a mantle that puts out a kazillion lumen). I don't expect to even come close to a gas lantern, but that gives you an idea of the kind of lantern I'm looking for, if such a thing even exists. Size is not much of a consideration, but a run time of at least 3 hours would be highly desirable

I sometimes camp (car/truck camping - not back packing) in the high desert. The wide open space can suck up light like you wouldn't believe.

Does anyone know if the type of light I'm looking for even exists? If so - recommendations would be most welcome.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
solarforce has a lantern head for their flashlights. I guess it will put out some lumens with a mc-e/sst-50/sst-90 dropin. With a extender and 2x18650 batteries, ull get decent runtimes. I have never tested the lantern head, so i dont know how effective it is.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't know of any LED lantern near that powerful and the biggest output CFL lanterns are about 300 lumens while the CFL lanterns have 15watt around 390 lumens I would guess the 18watt to have perhaps 420 lumens. The biggest problem is that without using nicad/nimh or lead acid, alkaline D cells start suffering in runtime at rates beyond an amp or so and I believe at 2 amps you may get 6 hours of rumtime... not good. Perhaps someone will make an LED lantern that puts out 600 lumens using 6 crees putting out 100 lumens each otherwise the most lumens I have noticed is 3x100 lumen rayovac LED lantern... nowhere near close to 900-1200 lumens gas lanterns do I would recommend getting a corded CFL light hooked to your cigarette lighter myself perhaps finding a 12v 75-90watt equivelent one that would get closer to approaching the output without having to deal with a battery pack or SLA for power.

kaj

Newly Enlightened
Ray-O-Vac has a 300 lumen LED lantern that uses 3 D cell batteries. There are a few posts about it in the lantern section and some posts have pictures as well.

Bright+

Newly Enlightened
Ray-O-Vac has a 300 lumen LED lantern that uses 3 D cell batteries. There are a few posts about it in the lantern section and some posts have pictures as well.

I have one. It doesn't come anything close to it.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK Coleman's own line of LED lanterns might be your best bet. They have utilized more modern emitters in some of their latest offerings.

Just a guess, but you could check out a photography forum as well. There might be portable lighting solutions that you can look into. Check out this DIY monster from CPF member jeffosborne: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/279082

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a coleman LED lantern and while the packaway feature is nice, I don't recommend LED lanterns in general. Because of how the light is generated in an LED all the light comes from a very small focal point making the lantern very hard to look at directly unless you add in your own diffuser. The rayovac sportsman lantern has a built in diffuser though so I guess that might be better.

Personally, I am planning to get a new lantern soon and I think I am going to get the Coleman 8D fluorescent pack away lantern.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've looked at led/florescent lanterns before to replace my 25 year old mantle and gas lantern. They're easier, cleaner, and more portable, but every time I use one, I just don't get the same "feeling". I guess there's something about that hiss and the look of the light that makes camping more of a camping experience.

snakyjake

Enlightened
I don't recommend LED lanterns in general. Because of how the light is generated in an LED all the light comes from a very small focal point making the lantern very hard to look at directly unless you add in your own diffuser.
I notice the Coleman has a Pack-Away LED with a diffuser tube.
I'd like to know how well the LED + diffuser works compared to fluorescent? The last thing I want is an annoying light.

dcbeane

Newly Enlightened
Not the answer you are looking for....but its what we do.
HEADLAMP. There is plenty light wherever you look and AA batteries will do it.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not the answer you are looking for....but its what we do.
HEADLAMP. There is plenty light wherever you look and AA batteries will do it.
Unfortunately, also plenty of light in the eyes of whoever you are looking at - that can be really annoying. I can't imagine a community meal with everyone annoying everyone else with their headlamps.

sabre7

Enlightened
I've looked at led/florescent lanterns before to replace my 25 year old mantle and gas lantern. They're easier, cleaner, and more portable, but every time I use one, I just don't get the same "feeling". I guess there's something about that hiss and the look of the light that makes camping more of a camping experience.

So true, theres something special about the sounds of a gas Coleman 2 mantle lantern and crickets in the background on a camping trip.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't know what kind of budget you have, but pelican makes portable emergency lighting that would provide lots of light and long run times. large, heavy, and expensive however. may or may not be a consideration...

http://www.pelican.com/lights_category_aalg.php

That looks right up my alley, but a little out of my price range. I'll put it on my "what to buy when I win the lotto" list
smoker.gif

DM51

Flashaholic
I'll move this to the Lanterns section. Could members note that if they see a thread in the wrong section, it is a help if you let a moderator know about it so it can be moved - with the # of new posts and threads made every day, we don't have time to read them all.

There are some good LED lanterns made - the Coleman packaway ones are very neat, and although there are bad artifacts with some of them, there's a very good remedy using spray-on glass frosting that completely cures this problem.

LED Lanterns are obviously not as bright as ye olde gas pressure lanterns, but they are perfectly OK for most purposes, much smaller and easier to use, and there's no hissing noise (unless you use Ultrafire batteries :sick2: and they are about to explode).