First Light Experience Post

Rose35

Newly Enlightened
Hi, my husband is a Flashlight Nerd and has dozens of them. Every night I walk our dog. He is getting older and his eyesight is fading. Husband suggested using a light to guide him. He made me up a small light - Solarforce LM2 - using a Nailbender Linger Special Module in warm white and a single IMR18650 cell. Wow what a difference. Carter now follows the beam pattern on the sidewalk and completes his walks successfully. I got so excited that I also joined the forum to share my experiences.
Now I want a larger - more powerfull light - in addition to my LM2 - so I can compete with my husband in "Flashoffs". I may even go Incan!

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well you are surely a sweat trouble for him...

Your husband really pointed to a rather esoteric option (if thsi is the right word)

After the linger special, the L2M cannot get significantly more powerfull....MC-E and P7 Leds cannot offer more than 800 lumens, at best.

you need to step up in flashlight and battery size...Next target should be 1000 LED lumens...
Thrunite catapuld comes in mind with the elongated tube for 2 18650 batts

wellcome aboard Rose, women are rare in this forum, and thanks god are well informed like you are....

Just stay out of the custom modders section please....:poke::D

Kostas

Taipan

Newly Enlightened
Geez Rose, happy to have you aboard. :welcome:A newbie myself! A moment there I was worried that was your hubby you were talking about?! Glad to see he has shown you the light (pun unintended). Anyway whatever you do, don't buy strobe or infrared for your purpose cos I dun think it will help old Carter. The vets here will surely fill you in on more details. Enjoy your CPF sojourn! :)

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Rose35 :)

kosPap is probably the world's fastest typist but he is not always 100% accurate, and I think he probably meant that you must be a "sweet trouble", not a "sweat trouble" LOL.

We have a few distinguished lady members, and you'll probably meet up with Lisantica and maybe Greta at some stage. ElectronGuru has Mrs.Guru to help him boil his cauldrons of colored glue etc, and of course there are many wives and g/fs behind the scenes exerting influence on other members (just be thankful Mrs.DM51 is not one of them, lol).

Now to the point of my post: from the information you give, your husband just has to be a member here already. WHO IS HE ?!? :D

Bob96

Enlightened
For dog walking my light is ideal as it has three levels of output. The low setting works well for guiding the dog and the med. & high for viewing things further away. I didn't care for the Solarforce switch much so husband replaced with a Surefire cap that can be lightly pressed or clicked on-off. The Linger module doesn't shine far away but really lights up a large area.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

That's a great story - thanks for sharing it. :)

Welcome aboard. It's always great to hear of another wife or girlfriend joining in on this crazy obsession with hand held lighting sources. My girlfriend claims that she's not into flashlights, yet I have caught her several times playing with mine at night and having fun. She even knows the model numbers for several of my lights. She's into flashlights, but she just doesn't know it yet! :D

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Rose,I have some advice for you: hide your wallet,for it will only get you into trouble wanting more and more lights.

Welcome aboard...

Later,Mike

Rose35

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome

Hey guys,

Tonight, for my dog walk I took our Moodoo Triple in Natural White. It's really a room lighter, but a little too bright for what I was using it for, 1000 LED Lumens (as suggested, however, not a Trunite catapuld). I like the three level light better than the simple one level. I will post photos next time.
I'm still looking for that right Incan, what would you guys suggest?

Rose

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Rose! I'm not big into hot-wires and all, but the only long running stock incan I can think of is a surefire E2 with an MN02 Lamp Assy. It's about as bright as a 2D mag, but with a nicer beam, and output doesn't drop off after 15 minutes. You get approximately 2.5 hours of solid light, with just a hair of dimming at the end of the battery life.

How long are your dog walks? If not too long, the only other feasible option would be a rechargeable set-up.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
kosPap is probably the world's fastest typist but he is not always 100% accurate, and I think he probably meant that you must be a "sweet trouble", not a "sweat trouble" LOL.

exactly.....that is what I meant.....I know it may become annoying but I would ask for all members tolerance cos I am under tiem pressure when I am online...infact when you see a post without mistakes it was definetely prepared at home.
apologies if that sounded something inapropiate...

anywya back on track....I could say that I am jealous of your husband, but i more jealous of a friend that has an electrical engineer girlfriend....

Once more, have a good time and purchases here! kosytas
(I couldn't resist, could I?)

Rose35

Newly Enlightened
Help with photo posting.

Okay guys, I took photos of our walk tonight and I was going to share them with all of you. However, I cannot or do not know how to post photos on this site. Can someone help me out?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help with photo posting.

OK I will risk some more typing mistakes.LOL

This forum does not hosts pics by itself. Neither allows hotlinking (inserting a pic from another site like a manufacturer's)

You got to host them either in a webpage of yours, or in a special site for, like imageshack.

The site will offer you a link to the uploaded pic.
then, while typing a post, you click that yellow square , next to the globe above your text....

You post the link in the popup window and the picture is inserted in the text....

it is easy if you are careful....

hope it was of help...

DM51, how about a guide with screen captures of the process? Such suggestions most definetely oblige the one that made the suggestion at the first place, but I will skip it by claiming too little time. LOLOLOL

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Help with photo posting.

There's a sticky with illustrations here: Cant post photos.

As kosPap says (in his immaculately typed post LOL), posting pics is easy. Just click on this button
insertimage.gif
above the message box.

325addict

Enlightened
first, :welcome:

As women are scarce here, here's some fine advice on an incan that will serve you for years and will have a very nice beam... it was my very first serious flashlight, and I still use it today, as it is a very satisfying one.

As a first good incan, I would suggest a Surefire C3 Centurion with P90 lamp assembly.

As you are going to give it a good use, you would surely want to have it rechargeable, don't you?

Then, you need two, preferably four, of the protected AW 17500 batteries and a charger to charge them. These batteries are sold here on the forum, just use the search function and look for "AW protected batteries sales" or something like that :grin2:
You'll get around 50 minutes of maximum runtime from this setup, but let me tell you one "don't" with Li-ion batteries: to drain them fully until the protection kicks in... :shakehead
And let me tell you another one: NEVER, EVER allow the batteries to charge unattended. NEVER!! Don't leave your home with a Li-ion charger still charging batteries... and don't leave it on at night.

BEFORE buying or even using Lithium Ion batteries (like the 18650 you mentioned) get yourself some knowledge about the do's and don'ts with these batteries, as they can be dangerous when mistreated. Dangerous?? Batteries dangerous? Yes, they CAN. I suggest checking batteryuniversity.com where lots of knowledge is packed in a dense form :caution:

The charger? Best buy a Pila IBC charger.
If that one's above budget, or not available, you can also buy the Trustfire TR-001 from Deal Extreme, but BEWARE: This one doesn't switch off after completion of the charge, although the LEDs go from red to green.
You HAVE to remove the batteries as soon as the LEDs go green!

So far the advices from my side... and enjoy your new hobby! Now, you are fully taken by "how bright can it be??" but later, you'll start a search for the ideal EDC flashlight, then you may be interested in a long-running emergency light etc etc etc.... until you think you have seen them all... and one day later, some manufacturer comes out with a really revolutionary super-duper LED light ;)

You'll learn about the differences between LED and incan, now maybe even by own experiences, and you'll probably notice that, when in nature, an incan gives much better color rendition than the average LED-light: using an incan, you can easily distinguish dark brown from dark green! As soon as you have your incan, just compare a high-Kelvin ("blueish") LED-light to your incan... and be surprised what a difference it makes :thinking:

Timmo.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
great story!
maybe carter will one day have his own headlamp:thumbsup:

ok, first a warm linger special, then a moodoo triple XPG neutral. your husband has good tastes. im sure your husband will be thrilled to know your interested in his hobby. and also sure if you asked him, he can find the perfect light for your walks. he probably has more lights for you to try out then you know. not saying that hes kept it from you, or is secretive about it, just maybe you havent noticed.:sssh:

Rose35

Newly Enlightened
Skypower,

Headlamp for the dog is a great idea! I will have my husband play around with that suggestion. As far as my husband's light collection, we'll let's just say it is enough to light up the city. His got a thrower that lights up a building more than 500 yards away.