New Nitecore EZ AA

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forgive me if this was mentioned previously. I tried searching for it and couldn't because of too few characters in the search terms.

It seems that Nitecore is altering the EZ line to have "infinite" brightness options. The jury is still out for me on this one, but I should have a full review of it before too long. At least they are updating to XP-G R5 to go along with it.

What do you guys think?

Some Specs:
Nitecore CS said:
Features:
World's smallest and most powerful single AA flashlight
Renowned Cree XP-G R5 LED capable of over 50,000 hours of output
Surprisingly bright output of 160 lumens
Continuous runtime of up to 32 hours
Infinite light ramping function
Twist-activated output for easy one-hand operation
Military-grade aluminum alloy
Mil-Spec Type-III Hard-Anodized finish resists scratches
Extensive knurling for excellent grip
Reverse polarity protection
Water resistant to IPX-8 Standard
Reflector optimized for XP-G R5,able to get perfect and smooth beam profile
Impact-resistant optical-grade glass lens with anti-reflective coating
Flat base allows light to tail-stand like a candle
Ultra-lightweight-just 23 grams(without battery)

ezaa01.jpg

ezaa02.jpg

ezaa03.jpg

MODS: I am not affiliated with Nitecore, nor am I trying to surreptitiously run an advertisement for them. :)

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would be pretty cool. I'd be interested. Where did you find the info? Any projected availability date?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh sweet. Ramping UI in a small package, and they rid the tripod hole. One smooth action to ramp up the brightness, I guess.
All it needs is a trit slot and a good clip.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Hmm, UI is not my favorite, quick off and on to start ramping, then turn off and the mode is memorized. I guess this is the only real way to di it with a standard twisty (no more 2 mode interface etc of old).

I guess the old construction was too prone to failure etc.

Oh well, it's decent, but I'll pass.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, UI is not my favorite, quick off and on to start ramping, then turn off and the mode is memorized. I guess this is the only real way to di it with a standard twisty (no more 2 mode interface etc of old).

I guess the old construction was too prone to failure etc.

Oh well, it's decent, but I'll pass.

Hey Gunga. I just read the UI too and feel about the same. I was hoping for T1A style UI (probably impossible at this price point I know). The ramping with twist activation doesn't really do it for me. I like the UI of the old style EZAA better.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
So effectively, this is a single mode light with adjustable brightness.
The ramp setting is similar to NDI & NEX I suppose.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Oh sweet. [...] they rid the tripod hole.
What's wrong with a tripod hole ? :confused:

What is a shame is that it looks as though the LED isn't that well centred. You'd think they'd pick a good one for their own publicity shot. :ohgeez:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a neutral tint XPG in it, and I'll be interested. Also a 123 version.

I've had good luck with my EZCR2w and EZAAw. Though the CR2 is carried daily, but turned on only occasionally, and the EZAA is doing desk duty. Don't know how well they hold up under alot of actual use.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Looking forward to your review, Aardvark. I'd definitely give this light a second look. Never gave my version 1 EZAA much use, but with ramping this one would be better. Looks like it's no longer a battery crusher. It just better have a lower low than the first model, or it's already history.

Geoff

Burgess

Flashaholic
Looks like they've dropped the Brass Threads. :shakehead

That was one of the Signature Features of their EZ Series.

:whistle:
_

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking forward to your review, Aardvark. I'd definitely give this light a second look. Never gave my version 1 EZAA much use, but with ramping this one would be better. Looks like it's no longer a battery crusher. It just better have a lower low than the first model, or it's already history.

Geoff
Thanks. I don't know how long it will take to get it and get the review up, but you know where to find it once I do.

The low is supposed to be 6 lumens. Not uber low for certain, but remember, that's probably emitter lumens rather than actual.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like they've dropped the Brass Threads. :shakehead

That was one of the Signature Features of their EZ Series.

:whistle:
_

No. The brass heat sink is a signature feature of the Muyshondt lights and it looks to me like Nitecore ripped that off!

Something about the EZ series that baffles me is why do they try to push the envelope with the lumens on these lights? Why not just keep it "EZ" and have a low level between 5-15 lumens and a high level between 85-100 lumens, throw an XP-G in there and triple the runtimes? That to me would make me consider one. Oh well, seems like the "brighter is better" mentality is what pleases the masses.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. The brass heat sink is a signature feature of the Muyshondt lights and it looks to me like Nitecore ripped that off!

Something about the EZ series that baffles me is why do they try to push the envelope with the lumens on these lights? Why not just keep it "EZ" and have a low level between 5-15 lumens and a high level between 85-100 lumens, throw an XP-G in there and triple the runtimes? That to me would make me consider one. Oh well, seems like the "brighter is better" mentality is what pleases the masses.

Perhaps with the new UI, they are trying to cater to the brighter is better crowd, and let the rest of use just as much light as we need. I'll give this one a look when it comes out.

Perhaps too, they are trying to one-up Fenix, whose LD15(? - did I get the right model number - ?) seems to be a bit more refined than the current EZAA.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's wrong with a tripod hole ? :confused:

From my perspective, I think this is a white elephant. As much as it's a good feature to have when you need it, but it seems rarely do people ever need it. I rather they do away with it to reduce length and/or replace it with a trit slot. ;) But that's just my 2 cents.