New Lupine headlamp, Piko!

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
I was searching this forum for the new Lupine Piko, and i was surprised when i didn't find anything about it. Here it is: http://www.lupine.de/web/en/products/lightheads/piko/

two XP-G leds and 550 lumens for a headlamp on 55 gram! Thats madness :) it's just so small and cute! Guess i'm gonna buy it and use it for night time skiing etc.

What do you think about it? :)

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
If this thing will be priced similarly to other Lupine headlamps I think I'll just stick to my Zebralights.:eek:

It seems like there's no $200 happy medium when it comes to headlamps, it's either $50 Chinese-made or $600 la-la-land.:crazy:

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Talked with one of the Lupine dealers in Norway, and he said it would cost about 2500 Norwegian kroner, 400 USD, problaly cheaper in America.

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm - why cant someone make a simple
18650 standard dual xpg minimal
3 mode HL for 200$

I mean i just strap a 45$linger nailbender module in a 20$ L2P
to my helmet but still.... Id love something like a dual xpg
zebra 18650 or right angle p60 host...

the Lupine IS cool tho- maybe Magicshine will make a cheap
copy!?
:popcorn:

Mathiashogevold

Enlightened
Yes, i saw the beamshot comparison.

I think that the Piko will be fine for me, i don't need flood when i'm skiing. For general purposes i would like a pure flood headlamp, but i would never carry a headlamp with external battery pack in my pocket. I don't need much flood when i'm skiing, it would just be scary! i wouldn't see anything above 20 meters, so i want throw and some flood just a few meters in front of me! :whistle:

BTW,
lovecpf

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
If this thing will be priced similarly to other Lupine headlamps I think I'll just stick to my Zebralights.:eek:

It seems like there's no $200 happy medium when it comes to headlamps, it's either $50 Chinese-made or $600 la-la-land.:crazy:

Check out the Amoeba light: http://amoebalight.blogspot.com/
$220 for 600 lumens- one level but he says he can make a slighty bigger housing with a bFlex for multi-levels. No headband- you'd have to DIY.
I haven't tried one, but it looks good. This is from the website:

2x Cree XP-G R5 LED's (spot beam pattern) - ~600 lumens total output
regulated at 800ma. Single mode – on/off
anodized aluminum housing (matte silver, bright silver, or dark bronze)
Optical grade Lexan front cover, rubber switch cover, Trail Tech connectors, waterproof cable gland
7.4V 2400mAh rechargeable Li-Ion Battery w/ 1.2 amp smart fast charger
Trail Tech jumper cable
~3 1/2 hours runtime - ~3 hour charge time with a total weight of 159 grams

$220 dollars (plus $10 Priority shipping in the USA) for 1 light head, battery, smart charger, charger adaptor cable.

Handle bar mounts for $10.

$40 for extra 3hr batteries.

I can also do 6, 9, 12 hr Li- Ion batteries, and AA battery holders too.

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I find blendable spot/flood headlights to be far more useful than single beamshape lights, and I'm always puzzled that even when people make twin-LED headlights, they typically just use the twin LEDs to increase output at one beamshape, rather than giving beamshape flexibility.

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
Personally, I find blendable spot/flood headlights to be far more useful than single beamshape lights, and I'm always puzzled that even when people make twin-LED headlights, they typically just use the twin LEDs to increase output at one beamshape, rather than giving beamshape flexibility.

I bet the fellow who makes the Amoeba could give you 2 separate beams.
Heck, he could give you 2 different LEDs too.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet the fellow who makes the Amoeba could give you 2 separate beams.
Heck, he could give you 2 different LEDs too.
I'm sure he could, though for something that seems intended as a bike light, I can see that a single beamshape is probably sufficient, as it may well also be for someone wanting a light for skiing at night.

It's really the more general headlamp side of things that puzzles me.
Personally, even above ground, I have found the ability to blend spot and flood beams in homemade units to be hugely useful - sometimes I want a strong spot for distance, sometimes I want a pure flood for close-up work round a camp, whereas for general walking I normally find a flood with some lower-power spot to be best, allowing for good local lighting without the spot making everything else look dark but still having enough spot for checking out paths a little way ahead.

Being able to mix the best beamshape also means that much of the time, adequate lighting can be obtained with lower power consumption - for instance, a mid-power flood+low power spot can be more useful for walking with than a much brighter flood would be.

I suppose for mass-produced lights, there is the issue that a twin-beam light is going to be more complicated to use, as well as a little more expensive, and maybe there's also an element of even the people who would end up loving a twin-beam light currently not knowing what they're missing.