2D revival help

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was simple stating that this adapter would be pretty cool in a Maglite and due to the large capacity of D cells should have awesome runtime. That's it.

why would you use malkoff surefire\solarforce drop in in maglite, when malkoff makes great dropins designed for maglite. with proper heat path.

p60 modules were made by surefire for their incandescent lights, there was no concern for removing heat since bulbs do not need it, only quick replacement. led p60 were made as a retrofit to use with such surefire lights, they work ok, when wraped in foil and sit very tight in a flashlight. most of those have brass pill, which is an inferior material as far as heat transfer goes. worst than alu, and copper. malkof's mag dropin uses alum, heatsink, and has very clever way to make good heat path to the body.

sorry if i came off as rude, was not my intent. i just think you are looking in a wrong direction for your project. there are better ways, i'm a big fan of maglites, in 20 or so years in the hobby i build prbly close to 100 mag mods, learned many things the hard way, and pass the knowledge here so others do not make same mistakes.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
My thinking was that genes M60 series module was more efficient then his current mag drop ins.and a m60 in say a 4-6 d mag would run forever. I could be completely wrong with my thinking.what is your opinion on this?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
My hack math, for what it's worth:

650mA @ 6v for M61W according to Malkoff website.

4 D cells in series for nominal 6v discharging at 650mA would provide around or less than 9000mAh according to Energizer D cell spec sheet.

9000mAh divided by 650mA times 0.8 efficiency would be around or less than 11 hours.

Adding D cells in series would increase voltage = I have no idea what happens then.

Note, if the D cells turn out to be good only for 6000mAh at 650mA, then the runtime would be less than 7.5 hours; still a lot more than 90 minutes, neh?

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
More quick hack math suggests that the full power cool-white M61 would be less than 6 hours on 4 D alkalines.

***Both of my posts are hack math - real life may be COMPLETELY different!!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
My thinking was that genes M60 series module was more efficient then his current mag drop ins.and a m60 in say a 4-6 d mag would run forever. I could be completely wrong with my thinking.what is your opinion on this?

i do not see why his mag drop in would be less efficient than p60. both use his drivers, most likely same ones, both use xpg2 leds, mag drop in is also available with xml2. however, one p60 is available with modes, all mag drop ins are only 1 mode. you get p60 you will have to figure how to mount it, and how to make a sufficient heath path, mag drop in , you just put in and you are good to go.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last one, since we're having fun (at least I am :) )

Using the same math and charts above, an M61WLL (one of my favorite modules) would last almost 75 hours on 4 D alkalines. :D

thermal guy

Flashaholic
i do not see why his mag drop in would be less efficient than p60. both use his drivers, most likely same ones, both use xpg2 leds, mag drop in is also available with xml2. however, one p60 is available with modes, all mag drop ins are only 1 mode. you get p60 you will have to figure how to mount it, and how to make a sufficient heath path, mag drop in , you just put in and you are good to go.

Well the five mega head is how I would mount it. And I'm thinking the heat sink is in the head.
Sorry for this totally tain wreck of derailment on this thread guys.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy TadCustoms G4 bipin adapter and Philips 7388 bulb. You'll get 400lm +

I'm really enjoying my incan D cell Mags, so I just ordered this along with the 7387; this is my first foray into modding beyond the KaiDomain reflectors, which are awesome.

Trying to take it slow... :)

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're both 6V bulbs, for 10W and 20W.

That's about 1.67A and 3.33A respectively, correct?

So they should run fine on 4x 8Ah NiMH D, and/or even acceptably on alkalines?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
try ROP HO 3854 bulb, you'll get about 1000lm, and no g4 socket needed, they are pr bulbs, for sla lantern, rated at 6v, you overdrive them with 7,2v 6 cells,

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
try ROP HO 3854 bulb, you'll get about 1000lm, and no g4 socket needed, they are pr bulbs, for sla lantern, rated at 6v, you overdrive them with 7,2v 6 cells,
Well now, I have one D incan of each cell count, so... :)

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well now, I have one D incan of each cell count, so... :)

there is one little problem with that bulb (3854 HO) running for long periods of time on 6 nimh D cells, they do not sag and provide plenty of current for hours, the bulb gets so hot, that positive contact solder blob melts. the bulb tower and switch seem to survive fine. it is not the case with li ion, since unlike nimh they drop voltage as they discharge, thus voltage and current declines, and bulb does not get that hot, (it is normally rated for 6v, so normally it does not get so hot, but we are not running spec. current, we are over driving it) nimh, otoh do not, their discharge curve is almost flat,

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is one little problem with that bulb (3854 HO) running for long periods of time on 6 nimh D cells, they do not sag and provide plenty of current for hours, the bulb gets so hot, that positive contact solder blob melts. the bulb tower and switch seem to survive fine. it is not the case with li ion, since unlike nimh they drop voltage as they discharge, thus voltage and current declines, and bulb does not get that hot, (it is normally rated for 6v, so normally it does not get so hot, but we are not running spec. current, we are over driving it) nimh, otoh do not, their discharge curve is almost flat,

This sounds like 5 NiMH D cells could run it without overheating, then?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
kpr141.
i know i have a bunch here.
if you strike out holler.

I lookef but can't find 2v bulbs anywhere. Are they still made? What I can find is 2.4v 1.2a Krypton. Tried them and they seem decent on 2 x D NiMh but 2v would be whiter light.