2xAA - less popular as time has gone by?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've been wondering about the latest 2360. I have the Pelican 2AA (3rd gen 2360) and really like it. Amazon has the 5th gen (375 lumen) version for just over $22. So I've been thinking (with 100% zero need) about getting one. However, my hesitation is the new light has almost no improvement reach but a broader beam (and likely shorter battery life). Anyway, I might have jumped but I just bought two unneeded lights...

I paid a little more at BrightGuy knowing they were selling the Gen 5. I've bought a slew of microstreams and Coast HP7's from Amazon figuring I'd be getting the gen the seller listed only to receive something different. No biggy really, but in this case I wanted the 'programable' version.

I know what you mean about the change in beam. I bought gen 1 2350 because it was a better thrower. But after buying the gen 2 I find the gen 1 gets used for special times when a pencil beam is best, and the gen 2 gets used more often because it can start on low. That factor was also why I chose the gen 5 2360... their 29 lumen beam is actually very useful.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
...With modern LEDs, 1xaa seems to suit everyone's needs - anyone still like 2xaa? ...
I do! it just feels right... and as an extension to 2xAA format, I like the 3xCR123A format lights too.

Following are 2xAA format lights in my current collections...

Fenix TK20
Fenix_TK20.jpg

my first high power LED flashlight in neutral tint! 8 years and still counting, still going strong!

Fenix LD20
Fenix_LD20.jpg

Fenix LD25
Fenix_LD25.jpg

Xeno E15v2 warm tint
Xeno_E15v2_warm.jpg

crazily aggressive knurling. works in 1xAA too.

NiteIze / Inova X2 Camo
NiteIzeInova_X2Camo.jpg

My tiny Mini Maglite 2AA team
MiniMagLite2AA.jpg

EagleTac P10A2 Neutral
EagleTac_P10A2_Neutral.jpg

this unit has one of the best beam profile and neutral tint in my collections.

EagleTac D25A2
EagleTac_D25A2.jpg

last but not least, Olight S2A
Olight_S2A.jpg

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the 2AAA format, since I can carry that in my shirt pocket.

It's been a very long time since I carried a 2AA light, though I have some in vehicles. I do carry 1AA lights.

cp2315

Enlightened
Fenix LD20 R4 was my first quality light and still the only 2xAA light. Got it in 2008. Despite having >50 quality lights, LD20 always goes to camping trips with me. The form means fairly large capacity, easy to carry, and hard to lose.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
4AAA format is just the "new" 3AAA format adding an extra battery allows for brighter lights with longer runtime with smaller size than 2C or D cell format. IMO it is a lousier choice than 3AAA as they could probably use 2AA with a boost circuit and get about the same if not better performance.

Yeah, the Duracell's 350 lumen 3 pack outshine the regular LED 2D Maglites. Heck the HP7 Coast is even better. In 5 to 10 years we'll see twice as bright AAA lights. Who knows what the future might bring.

nitedrive

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the Duracell's 350 lumen 3 pack outshine the regular LED 2D Maglites. Heck the HP7 Coast is even better. In 5 to 10 years we'll see twice as bright AAA lights. Who knows what the future might bring.

Do you mean more lumens or distance? Even the Rebel 2D Maglite has good range. The current 168 lumen 2D reaches 412 meters.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I find 2xAA make great all around house lights for kitchen etc.

LED_Power_Forums

Newly Enlightened
2xAA is pretty standard back in the old incan days but now? Still Ok, just with the Li-on battery getting more and more common, the 2 AAs will be having a hard time to stay in the competitive market nowadays. It feels pretty standard in the hand though.

I do! it just feels right... and as an extension to 2xAA format, I like the 3xCR123A format lights too.

Following are 2xAA format lights in my current collections...

Fenix TK20
Fenix_TK20.jpg

my first high power LED flashlight in neutral tint! 8 years and still counting, still going strong!

Fenix LD25
Fenix_LD25.jpg

My only 2xAA light is the good old Fenix LD25. Tint wise is more of a cooler neutral white with orange-purple instead of yellow. An OK light but the rubbery grip has a lot of mold growing on it and the grip has became all sticky-stench and will leave your hand sticky if gripped. Planning to wrap the stick-er with the tape commonly used in the badminton racket grip. I wonder if the TK20 is the same though... Which makes me wonder if yours are behaving the same?

BTW, those GITD bands around your lights...not bad.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean more lumens or distance? Even the Rebel 2D Maglite has good range. The current 168 lumen 2D reaches 412 meters.

More lumens, although some lights are catching up to the Maglite distances, others have already surpassed them. I was looking up the LD41, looks like they got a 960lm / 328m, going to have to buy that one now lol.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
For led lights, did 2 AA and single CR123 lights come about together?
I don't know about the voltage sagging under load and whatnot with two AA vs a single CR123,
but it seems like that would have been a natural design for lights:
make a light to run on 3v and pop the same circuit into a short and wide, or long and thin host.

Have the 2 AA and 1 CR123 formats declined together?

Last edited:

nitedrive

Newly Enlightened
More lumens, although some lights are catching up to the Maglite distances, others have already surpassed them. I was looking up the LD41, looks like they got a 960lm / 328m, going to have to buy that one now lol.

Not exactly a 2AA light ;) With a plastic tube I turned by ML50L into a 3AA light. It doesn't out reach the 2D Maglite but it does output 600+ lumens and reaches into the 300+ meter range.

Latest posts