3.6V rechargeable lithium Ion CR123A

shannow

Enlightened
liion.jpg

Is this any good???

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
there have been past threads made regarding this.

this is not protected cells. Squid used to sell them, i believe.
4-7 too, see here

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened
You'll find this will be the same or similar combo JBS had for sale originally. Seems the 3.6V was chosen as being most compatible with current standard Li cell devices. The voltage is below capacity for Li-Ion but chosen for market compatibility with standard Li devices. In reality it's much less charged than the cells can take - therefore much less available power. JSB now has not only rechargeable cells, but they are now with in-built protection circuitry for under discharge etc. Not only that, but the chargers are tweaked, I believe, to give the full Li-Ion cell capacity of around 4.2V.

Worth hanging on a tad and pondering the options IMHO relative to the Jaycar batts.

Have a read here .

Chris

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The picture of the charger with cell says battery not included. But in their Perth store, the battery is included in the clamshell package. Just to let you know.

3.6V is the nominal voltage. But if it is fully charged, it is about 4.1V. This is likely to blow a lot of high-end incandescents such as SureFires. And you should try to determine if devices with electronics (such as boosted LEDs and cameras) can take the higher voltage before making a direct substitution.

Also, it has no over-discharge protection like those which JSB are currently selling, but I'm not sure what the problem is. NiMH don't have over discharge protection either. Admittedly, NiMH are not as expensive to replace and not as likely to blow your rear off if you accidently short it.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Steelwolf,

There is no problem over discharging the R-CR123's, as long as you can live with 3-5 cycles to a dead cell.

Been there, done that. Not happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .

Tom

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, i wouldnt buy that cell at the prices that they are charging. $20 for an unprotected cell? grazy!!!, You can get them for $10 a piece at Fry's. Ive bought a few. I bought the exact same cell and charger in the pic from 4sevens for $30, would have been $25 but i had him mod the charger to deliver the full 4.2v charge. I have had no problems and as long as you are somewhat careful with them and dont run them all the way out then you'll be ok.

Or, just order the protected cells from JSB, which i also have on order. They are a tad bit more but worth it in my opinion. Since you dont have to worry about over-discharging them.

2dim

Enlightened
"...not as likely to blow your rear off if you accidently short it."

Now this may not be much of a problem for you younger fellas, but seems gaseous emissions increase at a certain age and besides the price of jeans being what it is, some of us just can't afford to take the chance of simultaneous events resulting in explosive catastrophe, possibly injuring passersby, and in paricular endangering younger children or small animals, who may tragically find themselves directly in the line of fire due to their short stature.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silverfox: What I meant was that with NiMH, it has many characteristics of the R123, such as the flat discharge curve and possible damage from over-discharge. It has one bad characteristic over the R123, that being the high rate of self-discharge.

With all that, we have still learnt to live with the NiMH, such as keeping an eye on the power level, recharging regularly or at the slightest sign of weakening. So if we have learnt to do this with NiMH, why can't we learn to do it with R123s? The only thing is that if we mess it up and over discharge them, they are more prone to damage and more expensive to replace than NiMH.

Hallis: That's AU$20. After currency conversion it would still be slightly more expensive than the price at Fry's. But add s&h charges, plus maybe money order charges and it is soon even. Perhaps if Shannow had more than just the R123 to buy, it might be worth while.

Definitely the ones from JSB are the best value for money being that they are almost as cheap as the unprotected R123, yet feature the protection circuit.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh,, then yah the JSB setup is what you want Shannow. Guess im just used to only having to convert money value when i dont see the $ sign.

X33

Enlightened
I just got one of those. Can I use it safely in my ARC4? The ARC FAQ says input voltage up to over 6 Volts. Wish I had found this thread earlier when I was looking for info on that battery.

Krit

Enlightened
I use 2 cell of li ion 123a with SF p90 lamp in 6P body. It make very bright..............light. OH economically used.

Latest posts