Ra Clicky upgraded to XML- 260 lumens!

Everett

Newly Enlightened
Here's my latest mod. It's just a simple emitter swap but it had fantastic results. I was hesitant to rip the Ra apart because it had such a perfect beam, but I am happy to say that with XM-L the beam is just as nice as it was before.

There was nothing too tricky—a heat gun loosened the threadlocker on the reflector, and I used a dremel to remove the GDP locating studs and to shape the XML star to fit. I used a thin copper star which put the XML at almost exactly the right height, although I did need to put some thin high-temp electrical tape on the underside of the reflector to prevent damage to the XML.

I measured my results in a 2 meter integrating sphere. Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to verify the Ra's stock 140 lumen output. Putting XML in brings that 140 up to 260 lumens on boost! Boost steps down to a high level of 174 lumens. I was so shocked at this incredible output increase that I took the measurement three times, but I do believe it's accurate. I even did absorption corrections beforehand.

2011-01-24_08-45-30_609.jpg

2011-01-24_08-38-24_472.jpg

If I find time I will put some beamshots up.

simplec6

Enlightened
Awesome mod. What kind of clip is that? Looks like it makes it ride low in the pocket.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been contemplating modding my already modded Clicky, it has a neutral XPG in it at the moment.

How thick is the MCPCB you used ?
Looks like the MCPCB has been reduced in diameter ?
Where did you get the MCPCB from ?

Any chance of a beamshot ?

Thanks

flummoxed

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have a Rotary, a 170 Clicky and a 140 Clicky. Overkill!

Not wanting to sell the latter I was thinking that a XM-L upgrade like this would give it a new lease of life.

Never having modified anything, I was looking for some helpful hints on doing such a thing and getting the necessary bits? Would this be a project better left to someone else??

Thanks.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
I was looking for some helpful hints on doing such a thing and getting the necessary bits?

Do you have any soldering experience? The only thing that could be really difficult for a beginner would be soldering to a metal-core PCB (which is very different from FR4). If you can source the XML pre-mounted on a star, you should be in good shape, but you will need a rotary tool, sanding belt, or similar tool to trim the star board and something to remove the GDP studs from inside the head. Overall it was a straightforward modification. I used a thin copper star which seems to be fairly rare, so you may find that the head doesn't screw down completely with a standard aluminum star. One important thing to remember is to insulate the bottom of the reflector with electrical tape or similar material so that it doesn't punch through the silicone on the XML and contact the pads on top of the LED.

flummoxed

Newly Enlightened
Do you have any soldering experience? The only thing that could be really difficult for a beginner would be soldering to a metal-core PCB (which is very different from FR4). If you can source the XML pre-mounted on a star, you should be in good shape, but you will need a rotary tool, sanding belt, or similar tool to trim the star board and something to remove the GDP studs from inside the head. Overall it was a straightforward modification. I used a thin copper star which seems to be fairly rare, so you may find that the head doesn't screw down completely with a standard aluminum star. One important thing to remember is to insulate the bottom of the reflector with electrical tape or similar material so that it doesn't punch through the silicone on the XML and contact the pads on top of the LED.

Everett,

Thanks for that.

I have no experience at all!

It's obviously not something that I should undertake lightly!

More research required....

simplec6

Enlightened
What kind of clip is that? I want a deep carry pocket clip for my Ra Clicky desperately.

nbp

Flashaholic
That's the MOLLE clip that came on the Legacy Clickies, which still had screw holes.

flummoxed

Newly Enlightened
Almost 8 months later.....

I now have a XM-l T6 on an aluminium star.

Now to try to remove the reflector.....

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost 8 months later.....

I now have a XM-l T6 on an aluminium star.

Now to try to remove the reflector.....

Which one you modding? :)

The HDS120 with a U2 XML i got from illumination Supply is visibly brighter than my 200rotary.

I love the beam, it doesnt thro like the XPG or GDP but its a beautiful beam.
I have three hds too, overkill? Yes but each one has a different emitter... That's what I keep telling myself ;)

flummoxed

Newly Enlightened

The HDS120 with a U2 XML i got from illumination Supply is visibly brighter than my 200rotary.

I have three hds too, overkill? Yes but each one has a different emitter... That's what I keep telling myself ;)

I'll modify the 140 Clicky, if I get the nerve to get that reflector off!!

I can just about justify the 3 Clickys and a Twisty.... to myself!!

Have never tried to modify anything before and don't want to botch it!

fireboltr

Enlightened

I'm glad your happy with the clicky, I'm glad that Craig found it a good home after i built it for him...

I have been in a car accident recently, I am starting to feel a little better so i have been doing more mods for him.
As a matter of fact i got bored today and turned my beater clicky 120 into a triple xp-g...

Like I said bored.

2546288390083488664S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad your happy with the clicky, I'm glad that Craig found it a good home after i built it for him...

I have been in a car accident recently, I am starting to feel a little better so i have been doing more mods for him.
As a matter of fact i got bored today and turned my beater clicky 120 into a triple xp-g...

Like I said bored.

I'm glad your feeling better, hope you heal up good :thumbsup:

Holy cow a triple HDS :eek:oo: THAT'S AWESOME!!!!! :D

flummoxed

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad your feeling better, hope you heal up good :thumbsup:

Holy cow a triple HDS :eek:oo: THAT'S AWESOME!!!!! :D

That looks quite spectacular!

Looks like you are making the best of your recuperation time!

I haven't managed to get the reflector off yet...... Might heat help shift it?

Could be a long process...

someguy4747

Newly Enlightened

Like I said bored.

Wow! After seeing this thread

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...19-Emitters-(and-maybe-Malkoff-Dropins)/page5

I started searching for how to mod a hds clicky 120 and came across this thread. Anyway what kinda output do you get? What about runtime and how does the beam look?